* ddbridge v0.8
@ 2013-02-11 22:20 Martin Vidovic
From: Martin Vidovic @ 2013-02-11 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

Is there any plan to include ddbridge driver version 0.8 in mainline kernel
(currently it's 0.5). I really see no reason it's in the vacuum like now
for almost a year. No sign of pushing it into mainline. Why is that so?
It's a good driver.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Martin

* Re: ddbridge v0.8
@ 2013-02-13 21:20 ` Oliver Schinagl
From: Oliver Schinagl @ 2013-02-13 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Vidovic; +Cc: linux-media, rjkm

On 02/11/13 23:20, Martin Vidovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any plan to include ddbridge driver version 0.8 in mainline kernel
> (currently it's 0.5). I really see no reason it's in the vacuum like now
> for almost a year. No sign of pushing it into mainline. Why is that so?
> It's a good driver.
You should ask Ralph Metzler (added to CC) as he wrote the driver I
think or atleast maintains it.

> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin

* Re: ddbridge v0.8
@ 2013-02-15 13:47   ` Ralph Metzler
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ralph Metzler @ 2013-02-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Schinagl; +Cc: Martin Vidovic, linux-media

Oliver Schinagl writes:
 > On 02/11/13 23:20, Martin Vidovic wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > Is there any plan to include ddbridge driver version 0.8 in mainline kernel
 > > (currently it's 0.5). I really see no reason it's in the vacuum like now
 > > for almost a year. No sign of pushing it into mainline. Why is that so?
 > > It's a good driver.
 > You should ask Ralph Metzler (added to CC) as he wrote the driver I
 > think or atleast maintains it.

I wrote the driver but I never submitted it to the kernel myself. I got frustrated
with that process years ago. Oliver Endriss took care of it and necessary coding style
adjustments etc. in the last few years. (Many thanks again!)
But now he also stopped to pass it into the kernel due to some complications
with other changes upstream.

I usually distribute a package with own versions of dvb-core, frontend and
ddbridge drivers now. When the next major restructuring due to the DVB-C modulator
card and the stand-alone hardware network streamer (octopus net) support is done,
I will make it publically available. The current driver is version 0.9.7.
It should be up to kernel coding style and can be easily copied over into
a current kernel. But I am not about to take it apart into little patches.

Regards,
Ralph

* Re: ddbridge v0.8
@ 2013-02-15 14:24     ` Oliver Schinagl
From: Oliver Schinagl @ 2013-02-15 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Metzler
  Cc: Martin Vidovic, linux-media, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, o.endriss

On 15-02-13 14:47, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Oliver Schinagl writes:
>   > On 02/11/13 23:20, Martin Vidovic wrote:
>   > > Hi,
>   > >
>   > > Is there any plan to include ddbridge driver version 0.8 in mainline kernel
>   > > (currently it's 0.5). I really see no reason it's in the vacuum like now
>   > > for almost a year. No sign of pushing it into mainline. Why is that so?
>   > > It's a good driver.
>   > You should ask Ralph Metzler (added to CC) as he wrote the driver I
>   > think or atleast maintains it.
>
> I wrote the driver but I never submitted it to the kernel myself. I got frustrated
> with that process years ago. Oliver Endriss took care of it and necessary coding style
> adjustments etc. in the last few years. (Many thanks again!)
> But now he also stopped to pass it into the kernel due to some complications
> with other changes upstream.
>
> I usually distribute a package with own versions of dvb-core, frontend and
> ddbridge drivers now. When the next major restructuring due to the DVB-C modulator
> card and the stand-alone hardware network streamer (octopus net) support is done,
> I will make it publically available. The current driver is version 0.9.7.
> It should be up to kernel coding style and can be easily copied over into
> a current kernel. But I am not about to take it apart into little patches.
But do you have any problems with it being mainlined? If someone would
take your newest version and work with Mauro/Oliver to mainline it?

What would be your ETA? weeks? months? end of the year?

> Regards,
> Ralph

* Re: ddbridge v0.8
@ 2013-02-15 14:35     ` Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
From: Georgi Chorbadzhiyski @ 2013-02-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Metzler; +Cc: Oliver Schinagl, Martin Vidovic, linux-media

Around 02/15/2013 03:47 PM, Ralph Metzler scribbled:
> Oliver Schinagl writes:
>  > On 02/11/13 23:20, Martin Vidovic wrote:
>  > > Is there any plan to include ddbridge driver version 0.8 in mainline kernel
>  > > (currently it's 0.5). I really see no reason it's in the vacuum like now
>  > > for almost a year. No sign of pushing it into mainline. Why is that so?
>  > > It's a good driver.
>  > You should ask Ralph Metzler (added to CC) as he wrote the driver I
>  > think or atleast maintains it.
>
> I wrote the driver but I never submitted it to the kernel myself. I got frustrated
> with that process years ago. Oliver Endriss took care of it and necessary coding style
> adjustments etc. in the last few years. (Many thanks again!)
> But now he also stopped to pass it into the kernel due to some complications
> with other changes upstream.
>
> I usually distribute a package with own versions of dvb-core, frontend and
> ddbridge drivers now. When the next major restructuring due to the DVB-C modulator
> card and the stand-alone hardware network streamer (octopus net) support is done,
> I will make it publically available. The current driver is version 0.9.7.
> It should be up to kernel coding style and can be easily copied over into
> a current kernel. But I am not about to take it apart into little patches.

We have more than 30 cards that use ddbridge drivers and the fact that the driver
in mainline is out of date is big PITA.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/

* Re: ddbridge v0.8
@ 2013-04-01 10:08     ` Oliver Schinagl
From: Oliver Schinagl @ 2013-04-01 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Metzler; +Cc: linux-media

Hey Ralph,

On 02/15/13 14:47, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Oliver Schinagl writes:
>   > On 02/11/13 23:20, Martin Vidovic wrote:
>   > > Hi,
>   > >
>   > > Is there any plan to include ddbridge driver version 0.8 in mainline kernel
>   > > (currently it's 0.5). I really see no reason it's in the vacuum like now
>   > > for almost a year. No sign of pushing it into mainline. Why is that so?
>   > > It's a good driver.
>   > You should ask Ralph Metzler (added to CC) as he wrote the driver I
>   > think or atleast maintains it.
>
> I wrote the driver but I never submitted it to the kernel myself. I got frustrated
> with that process years ago. Oliver Endriss took care of it and necessary coding style
> adjustments etc. in the last few years. (Many thanks again!)
> But now he also stopped to pass it into the kernel due to some complications
> with other changes upstream.
>
> I usually distribute a package with own versions of dvb-core, frontend and
> ddbridge drivers now. When the next major restructuring due to the DVB-C modulator
> card and the stand-alone hardware network streamer (octopus net) support is done,
> I will make it publically available. The current driver is version 0.9.7.
> It should be up to kernel coding style and can be easily copied over into
> a current kernel. But I am not about to take it apart into little patches.
What is the current status of this? I saw that the DVB-C modulator is on
sale now.

I guess octopus-net isn't announced yet and will be something like the
current octopus, but as a streamer instead of receiver?