* Re: iMon driver with 3.11 no response
       [not found] ` <522E1210.20506@wilsonet.com>
@ 2013-09-09 21:10   ` Oliver Schinagl
From: Oliver Schinagl @ 2013-09-09 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarod Wilson; +Cc: linux-media

On 09/09/13 20:23, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Note: I've not had much time to work on any IR stuff in nearly 2 years
> now, and I generally just ignore tech support requests, as there are
> mailing lists and forums that can help you. But you caught me at a
> decent time. :)
Yay! I did cc the lmml but from my other e-mail address (this current
one) as I do all my lmml mails with, but I can completely understand.

> On 09/08/2013 04:43 PM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
>> Hey Jarod,
>>
>> I've been using my iMon that came with my silverstone tech case for
>> years. This was all using the old methods via lirc etc. With my new
>> install I decided to move to devinput and use your brand new and shiny
>> driver.
>>
>> However I get little to no response from either the IR part, the knob or
>> the VFD (I just echo "Hello" > /dev/lcd0). The only thing I do know
>> works, is powerup (since that's all handled on the PCB itself, that's no
>> surprise, but does show the board seems to be still in working order).
>>
>> The driver (when loading rc-imon-pad first) loads fine, but evtest
>> doesn't respond to anything. I tried with lirc initially and devinput
>> but also that gave no response. The debug output from imon when loading
>> it with debug=1 as follows:
>>
>> [  568.738241] input: iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:ffdc) as
>> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.2/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/input/input19
>> [  568.746030] imon 5-2:1.0: Unknown 0xffdc device, defaulting to VFD
>> and iMON IR
> ^^^
> This is the main issue. I suspect your ffdc device could be an LCD
> instead of a VFD, which would explain the display not working, and it
> may use an RC-6 MCE remote instead of an iMON remote, which would
> explain the receiver not spitting out any devinput data. The lack of
> events from the knob is slightly troubling though. You can load the imon
> driver and override the display type to LCD:
>
> modprobe imon display_type=2
Yeah, but I really do have the VFD version. The VFD wasn't working to
amazingly however when I last actually used it (dark, some pixels not at
all). Now the bigger question arises, does the microcontroller actually
need the VFD to work. I did 25% of my testing (i was messing with it for
2 hours or so) without the VFD actually connected (it's temporary in a
different system and it was getting in the way).

> Then you can use ir-keytable (part of v4l-utils) to load the MCE
> keytable and set the protocol to MCE instead of iMON IR.
But I also have the original imon remote, the PCB says 'Chisheng C 94
VO-333', the grey variant imon remote if you google for it, I think it's
called the iMon-pad. It's a really old model though, one of the earlier
ones ;)

> Once its determined what the hardware actually is, an entry can be added
> to the code that figures out ffdc variant for your device so that it
> gets auto-configured in the future.
Well that would be a good plan; once I figure out why it's being wrong,
I'll send a patch ;)

oliver

* iMon driver with 3.11 no response
@ 2013-09-09  8:41 Oliver Schinagl
From: Oliver Schinagl @ 2013-09-09  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-media@ >> linux-media

[...]

[  568.746033]  (id 0x2e)
[  568.746036] Registered IR keymap rc-imon-pad
[  568.746140] input: iMON Remote (15c2:ffdc) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.2/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/rc/rc4/input20
[  568.746194] rc4: iMON Remote (15c2:ffdc) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.2/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/rc/rc4
[  568.754091] imon 5-2:1.0: iMON device (15c2:ffdc, intf0) on usb<5:2>
initialized
[  568.754116] usbcore: registered new interface driver imon
[  568.755501] imon 5-2:1.0: Looks like you're trying to use an IR
protocol this device does not support
[  568.755506] imon 5-2:1.0: Unsupported IR protocol specified,
overriding to iMON IR protocol

If you say that I'd need to double check if the original stuff still
even works, I'll jerry rig some stuff and make sure that I can test it,
but since I assume it works just fine, is there some deeper debug level
that shows even more output? Is there anything else that I can do to
test it really even works at all? Is evtest able to test the created
input? It can't be an IR thing, since the knob doesn't produce output
either, and lsusb shows up fine so communication seems to work to some
length? THat last warning seems odd though?

Oliver