* hdpvr troubles
@ 2014-06-03  1:23 Scott Doty
From: Scott Doty @ 2014-06-03  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

Hello Mr. Hans and mailing list,

In a nutshell, I'm having some hdpvr trouble:

I'm using vlc to view the stream.  Kernel 3.9.11 works pretty well,
including giving me AC3 5.1 audio from the optical input to the
Hauppauge device.  The only problem I've run across is the device
hanging when I change channels, but I've learned to live with that.
(Though naturally it would be nice to fix. :) )

However, every kernel I've tried after 3.9.11 seems to have trouble with
the audio.  I get silence, and pulseaudio reports there is only stereo.
I've taken a couple of of snapshots of pavucontrol so you can see what I
mean:

   http://imgur.com/a/SIwc7

I even tried a git bisect to try to narrow down where things went awry,
but ran out of time to pursue the question.  But as far as I can tell,
3.9.11 is as far as I can go before my system won't use the device properly.

I see the conversation in the archives from around the middle of May,
where Hans was working with Ryley and Keith, but I'm not sure if I
should apply that patch or not.  I would love to make this work,
including submitting a patch if someone could outline where the problem
might be.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, and please let me
know if I can send any more information. :)

 -Scott
Bus 008 Device 003: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge HS PVR

* Re: hdpvr troubles
@ 2014-06-06 22:43 ` Scott Doty
From: Scott Doty @ 2014-06-06 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On 06/02/2014 06:23 PM, Scott Doty wrote:
> Hello Mr. Hans and mailing list,
>
> In a nutshell, I'm having some hdpvr trouble:
>
> I'm using vlc to view the stream.  Kernel 3.9.11 works pretty well,
> including giving me AC3 5.1 audio from the optical input to the
> Hauppauge device.  The only problem I've run across is the device
> hanging when I change channels, but I've learned to live with that.
> (Though naturally it would be nice to fix. :) )
>
> However, every kernel I've tried after 3.9.11 seems to have trouble with
> the audio.  I get silence, and pulseaudio reports there is only stereo.
[...]

Did I report this incorrectly?  Sorry if I did.

 -Scott

* Re: hdpvr troubles
@ 2014-06-11  8:24 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2014-06-11  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Doty; +Cc: linux-media, ryleyjangus, kpyle

On 06/03/14 03:23, Scott Doty wrote:
> Hello Mr. Hans and mailing list,
>
> In a nutshell, I'm having some hdpvr trouble:
>
> I'm using vlc to view the stream.  Kernel 3.9.11 works pretty well,
> including giving me AC3 5.1 audio from the optical input to the
> Hauppauge device.  The only problem I've run across is the device
> hanging when I change channels, but I've learned to live with that.
> (Though naturally it would be nice to fix. :) )
>
> However, every kernel I've tried after 3.9.11 seems to have trouble with
> the audio.  I get silence, and pulseaudio reports there is only stereo.
> I've taken a couple of of snapshots of pavucontrol so you can see what I
> mean:
>
>    http://imgur.com/a/SIwc7
>
> I even tried a git bisect to try to narrow down where things went awry,
> but ran out of time to pursue the question.  But as far as I can tell,
> 3.9.11 is as far as I can go before my system won't use the device properly.
>
> I see the conversation in the archives from around the middle of May,
> where Hans was working with Ryley and Keith, but I'm not sure if I
> should apply that patch or not.  I would love to make this work,
> including submitting a patch if someone could outline where the problem
> might be.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, and please let me
> know if I can send any more information. :)

You can certainly try this patch:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/23890/

Nobody else reported audio problems other than the issue this patch tries
to resolve. However, that problem most likely has been with hdpvr since
the very beginning.

There were some major changes made to the driver in 3.10, so that makes me
suspect that something might have broken. Odd though that I didn't see any
reports about that.

Keith, Ryley, if you run v4l2-ctl -D, what is the version number that is
reported?

If it is >= 3.10, then can you test with vlc as well?

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: hdpvr troubles
@ 2014-06-11 19:43   ` Scott Doty
From: Scott Doty @ 2014-06-11 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On 06/11/2014 01:24 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 06/03/14 03:23, Scott Doty wrote:
>> Hello Mr. Hans and mailing list,
>>
>> In a nutshell, I'm having some hdpvr trouble:
>>
>> I'm using vlc to view the stream.  Kernel 3.9.11 works pretty well,
>> including giving me AC3 5.1 audio from the optical input to the
>> Hauppauge device.  The only problem I've run across is the device
>> hanging when I change channels, but I've learned to live with that.
>> (Though naturally it would be nice to fix. :) )
>>
>> However, every kernel I've tried after 3.9.11 seems to have trouble with
>> the audio.  I get silence, and pulseaudio reports there is only stereo.
>> I've taken a couple of of snapshots of pavucontrol so you can see what I
>> mean:
>>
>>    http://imgur.com/a/SIwc7
>>
>> I even tried a git bisect to try to narrow down where things went awry,
>> but ran out of time to pursue the question.  But as far as I can tell,
>> 3.9.11 is as far as I can go before my system won't use the device properly.
>>
>> I see the conversation in the archives from around the middle of May,
>> where Hans was working with Ryley and Keith, but I'm not sure if I
>> should apply that patch or not.  I would love to make this work,
>> including submitting a patch if someone could outline where the problem
>> might be.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, and please let me
>> know if I can send any more information. :)
> You can certainly try this patch:
>
> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/23890/
>
> Nobody else reported audio problems other than the issue this patch tries
> to resolve. However, that problem most likely has been with hdpvr since
> the very beginning.
>
> There were some major changes made to the driver in 3.10, so that makes me
> suspect that something might have broken. Odd though that I didn't see any
> reports about that.
>
> Keith, Ryley, if you run v4l2-ctl -D, what is the version number that is
> reported?
>
> If it is >= 3.10, then can you test with vlc as well?

Just tried the patch with 3.14.5, and it didn't solve the problem.

I'm not sure what's different about my system than other folks', unless
they aren't using the optical input?

Indeed, it acts just like the driver isn't properly honoring
"default_audio_input=2".  (For S/PDIF).  Thinking that might be a clue,
I hooked up stereo through the RCA jacks.  With "default_audio_input=2",
I did hear some crackling sounds -- but nothing intelligible, and I'm
having a hard time reproducing that.  With "default_audio_input=0", I
get clear stereo sound from the RCA jacks.

 -Scott

* Re: hdpvr troubles
@ 2014-06-11 20:33     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2014-06-11 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Doty; +Cc: linux-media

On 06/11/2014 09:43 PM, Scott Doty wrote:
> On 06/11/2014 01:24 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> On 06/03/14 03:23, Scott Doty wrote:
>>> Hello Mr. Hans and mailing list,
>>>
>>> In a nutshell, I'm having some hdpvr trouble:
>>>
>>> I'm using vlc to view the stream.  Kernel 3.9.11 works pretty well,
>>> including giving me AC3 5.1 audio from the optical input to the
>>> Hauppauge device.  The only problem I've run across is the device
>>> hanging when I change channels, but I've learned to live with that.
>>> (Though naturally it would be nice to fix. :) )
>>>
>>> However, every kernel I've tried after 3.9.11 seems to have trouble with
>>> the audio.  I get silence, and pulseaudio reports there is only stereo.
>>> I've taken a couple of of snapshots of pavucontrol so you can see what I
>>> mean:
>>>
>>>    http://imgur.com/a/SIwc7
>>>
>>> I even tried a git bisect to try to narrow down where things went awry,
>>> but ran out of time to pursue the question.  But as far as I can tell,
>>> 3.9.11 is as far as I can go before my system won't use the device properly.
>>>
>>> I see the conversation in the archives from around the middle of May,
>>> where Hans was working with Ryley and Keith, but I'm not sure if I
>>> should apply that patch or not.  I would love to make this work,
>>> including submitting a patch if someone could outline where the problem
>>> might be.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, and please let me
>>> know if I can send any more information. :)
>> You can certainly try this patch:
>>
>> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/23890/
>>
>> Nobody else reported audio problems other than the issue this patch tries
>> to resolve. However, that problem most likely has been with hdpvr since
>> the very beginning.
>>
>> There were some major changes made to the driver in 3.10, so that makes me
>> suspect that something might have broken. Odd though that I didn't see any
>> reports about that.
>>
>> Keith, Ryley, if you run v4l2-ctl -D, what is the version number that is
>> reported?
>>
>> If it is >= 3.10, then can you test with vlc as well?
>
> Just tried the patch with 3.14.5, and it didn't solve the problem.
>
> I'm not sure what's different about my system than other folks', unless
> they aren't using the optical input?
>
> Indeed, it acts just like the driver isn't properly honoring
> "default_audio_input=2".  (For S/PDIF).  Thinking that might be a clue,
> I hooked up stereo through the RCA jacks.  With "default_audio_input=2",
> I did hear some crackling sounds -- but nothing intelligible, and I'm
> having a hard time reproducing that.  With "default_audio_input=0", I
> get clear stereo sound from the RCA jacks.

Ah, you never mentioned that you used the default_audio_input module option.
I looked at that and that did indeed break in 3.10. You probably need to
do 'v4l2-ctl -c audio_encoding=4'. In 3.9 selecting default_audio_input=2
would also switch to AC3 audio encoding, but in 3.10 that is reset a bit
later to AAC.

But by selecting it manually it should work again. Let me know if I am
correct and if so, then I'll make a patch for this to fix this behavior.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: hdpvr troubles
@ 2014-06-11 21:04       ` Scott Doty
From: Scott Doty @ 2014-06-11 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On 06/11/2014 01:33 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 06/11/2014 09:43 PM, Scott Doty wrote:

>>> You can certainly try this patch:
>>>
>>> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/23890/
>>>
>>> Nobody else reported audio problems other than the issue this patch tries
>>> to resolve. However, that problem most likely has been with hdpvr since
>>> the very beginning.
>>>
>>> There were some major changes made to the driver in 3.10, so that makes me
>>> suspect that something might have broken. Odd though that I didn't see any
>>> reports about that.
>>>
>>> Keith, Ryley, if you run v4l2-ctl -D, what is the version number that is
>>> reported?
>>>
>>> If it is >= 3.10, then can you test with vlc as well?
>> Just tried the patch with 3.14.5, and it didn't solve the problem.
>>
>> I'm not sure what's different about my system than other folks', unless
>> they aren't using the optical input?
>>
>> Indeed, it acts just like the driver isn't properly honoring
>> "default_audio_input=2".  (For S/PDIF).  Thinking that might be a clue,
>> I hooked up stereo through the RCA jacks.  With "default_audio_input=2",
>> I did hear some crackling sounds -- but nothing intelligible, and I'm
>> having a hard time reproducing that.  With "default_audio_input=0", I
>> get clear stereo sound from the RCA jacks.
> Ah, you never mentioned that you used the default_audio_input module option.
> I looked at that and that did indeed break in 3.10. You probably need to
> do 'v4l2-ctl -c audio_encoding=4'. In 3.9 selecting default_audio_input=2
> would also switch to AC3 audio encoding, but in 3.10 that is reset a bit
> later to AAC.
>
> But by selecting it manually it should work again. Let me know if I am
> correct and if so, then I'll make a patch for this to fix this behavior.

Hello,

Unfortunately, using the v4l2-ctl command doesn't seem to make any
difference.  I do know it's taking effect because when I set it to "3",
the video pauses a bit then resumes, which I assume is your recent patch
resetting the stream; and when I reset it to "4", I get the pause/resume
again, but still no audio.

Setting it to 4 before running vlc doesn't seem to help, either, alas.

Maybe we need to set the pvr to do "passthrough" of its AC3 when running
on newer kernels?

 -Scott