* Time for a v4l-utils 1.8.0 release
@ 2015-05-05 19:08 Gregor Jasny
From: Gregor Jasny @ 2015-05-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
	Hans Verkuil

Hello,

It's already more than half a year since the last v4l-utils release. Do
you have any pending commits or objections? If no one vetos I'd like to
release this weekend.

Thanks,
Gregor

* Re: Time for a v4l-utils 1.8.0 release
@ 2015-05-05 20:22 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-05-05 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Jasny
	Laurent Pinchart, Sakari Ailus

Em Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:49 +0200
Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> It's already more than half a year since the last v4l-utils release. Do
> you have any pending commits or objections? If no one vetos I'd like to
> release this weekend.

There is are a additions I'd like to add to v4l-utils:

1) on DVB, ioctls may fail with -EAGAIN. Some parts of the libdvbv5 don't
handle it well. I made one quick hack for it, but didn't have time to
add a timeout to avoid an endless loop. The patch is simple. I just need
some time to do that;

2) The Media Controller control util (media-ctl) doesn't support DVB.

The patchset adding DVB support on media-ctl is ready, and I'm merging
right now, and matches what's there at Kernel version 4.1-rc1 and upper.

Yet, Laurent and Sakari want to do some changes at the Kernel API, before
setting it into a stone at Kernel v 4.1 release.

This has to happen on the next 4 weeks.

So, I suggest to postpone the release of 1.8.0 until the end of this month.

Regards,
Mauro

* Re: Time for a v4l-utils 1.8.0 release
@ 2015-05-06  2:07   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2015-05-06  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
	Hans Verkuil, Sakari Ailus

Hi Mauro,

On Tuesday 05 May 2015 17:22:35 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:49 +0200 Gregor Jasny escreveu:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It's already more than half a year since the last v4l-utils release. Do
> > you have any pending commits or objections? If no one vetos I'd like to
> > release this weekend.
>
> There is are a additions I'd like to add to v4l-utils:
>
> 1) on DVB, ioctls may fail with -EAGAIN. Some parts of the libdvbv5 don't
> handle it well. I made one quick hack for it, but didn't have time to
> add a timeout to avoid an endless loop. The patch is simple. I just need
> some time to do that;
>
> 2) The Media Controller control util (media-ctl) doesn't support DVB.
>
> The patchset adding DVB support on media-ctl is ready, and I'm merging
> right now, and matches what's there at Kernel version 4.1-rc1 and upper.
>
> Yet, Laurent and Sakari want to do some changes at the Kernel API, before
> setting it into a stone at Kernel v 4.1 release.

I think Hans wants changes too.

> This has to happen on the next 4 weeks.

We'll try to, but depending on how review goes this might take more time.

In the meantime I suggest moving the media-ctl changes to a separate branch
and go with the v1.8.0 release as planned.

> So, I suggest to postpone the release of 1.8.0 until the end of this month.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: Time for a v4l-utils 1.8.0 release
@ 2015-05-06  5:49     ` Hans Petter Selasky
From: Hans Petter Selasky @ 2015-05-06  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
	Hans Verkuil, Sakari Ailus

On 05/06/15 04:07, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> On Tuesday 05 May 2015 17:22:35 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Em Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:49 +0200 Gregor Jasny escreveu:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It's already more than half a year since the last v4l-utils release. Do
>>> you have any pending commits or objections? If no one vetos I'd like to
>>> release this weekend.
>>
>> There is are a additions I'd like to add to v4l-utils:
>>
>> 1) on DVB, ioctls may fail with -EAGAIN. Some parts of the libdvbv5 don't
>> handle it well. I made one quick hack for it, but didn't have time to
>> add a timeout to avoid an endless loop. The patch is simple. I just need
>> some time to do that;
>>
>> 2) The Media Controller control util (media-ctl) doesn't support DVB.
>>
>> The patchset adding DVB support on media-ctl is ready, and I'm merging
>> right now, and matches what's there at Kernel version 4.1-rc1 and upper.
>>
>> Yet, Laurent and Sakari want to do some changes at the Kernel API, before
>> setting it into a stone at Kernel v 4.1 release.
>
> I think Hans wants changes too.
>
>> This has to happen on the next 4 weeks.
>
> We'll try to, but depending on how review goes this might take more time.
>
> In the meantime I suggest moving the media-ctl changes to a separate branch
> and go with the v1.8.0 release as planned.
>
>> So, I suggest to postpone the release of 1.8.0 until the end of this month.

Hi,

Maybe someone would like to give the v4l-utils a spin on FreeBSD before
release? Or is this the latest code in the .git ?

--HPS

* Re: Time for a v4l-utils 1.8.0 release
@ 2015-09-14  7:17   ` Gregor Jasny
From: Gregor Jasny @ 2015-09-14  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab

On 05/05/15 22:22, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:49 +0200
> Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com> escreveu:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It's already more than half a year since the last v4l-utils release. Do
>> you have any pending commits or objections? If no one vetos I'd like to
>> release this weekend.
>
> There is are a additions I'd like to add to v4l-utils:
>
> 1) on DVB, ioctls may fail with -EAGAIN. Some parts of the libdvbv5 don't
> handle it well. I made one quick hack for it, but didn't have time to
> add a timeout to avoid an endless loop. The patch is simple. I just need
> some time to do that;
>
> 2) The Media Controller control util (media-ctl) doesn't support DVB.
>
> The patchset adding DVB support on media-ctl is ready, and I'm merging
> right now, and matches what's there at Kernel version 4.1-rc1 and upper.
>
> Yet, Laurent and Sakari want to do some changes at the Kernel API, before
> setting it into a stone at Kernel v 4.1 release.
>
> This has to happen on the next 4 weeks.
>
> So, I suggest to postpone the release of 1.8.0 until the end of this month.

I'd like to release v4l-utils 1.8.0 during the upcoming weekend. Please
postpone any disruptive fixes until the release has been tagged.

@ 2015-09-14 10:02     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-09-14 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Jasny
	Laurent Pinchart, Sakari Ailus

Hi Gregor,

Em Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:17:23 +0200
Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> On 05/05/15 22:22, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:49 +0200
> > Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com> escreveu:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> It's already more than half a year since the last v4l-utils release. Do
> >> you have any pending commits or objections? If no one vetos I'd like to
> >> release this weekend.
> >
> > There is are a additions I'd like to add to v4l-utils:
> >
> > 1) on DVB, ioctls may fail with -EAGAIN. Some parts of the libdvbv5 don't
> > handle it well. I made one quick hack for it, but didn't have time to
> > add a timeout to avoid an endless loop. The patch is simple. I just need
> > some time to do that;
> >
> > 2) The Media Controller control util (media-ctl) doesn't support DVB.
> >
> > The patchset adding DVB support on media-ctl is ready, and I'm merging
> > right now, and matches what's there at Kernel version 4.1-rc1 and upper.
> >
> > Yet, Laurent and Sakari want to do some changes at the Kernel API, before
> > setting it into a stone at Kernel v 4.1 release.
> >
> > This has to happen on the next 4 weeks.
> >
> > So, I suggest to postpone the release of 1.8.0 until the end of this month.
>
> I'd like to release v4l-utils 1.8.0 during the upcoming weekend. Please
> postpone any disruptive fixes until the release has been tagged.

OK.

There was one patch there adding support for DVB at the Media Controller
part based on the old approach. As we decided to use a different
approach ("MC next generation"), I reverted the change, as we won't
want that change to go to the distros. It is not actually a big deal,
as there's no released Kernel using the old approach, and the code in
question is only triggered by certain types of defines that will never
be found. Yet, I prefer not having an API support on a non-development
branch for something that will never be mainstream.

Besides of such change, I think the remaining stuff there are OK for
a new release.

After the release of 1.8.x, I'll likely be merging a test application
to allow checking the new API on the next development branch, at
contrib/test.

Regards,
Mauro