* [ANNOUNCE] Media Controller workshop in Helsinki
@ 2015-07-08 11:16 Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2015-07-08 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LMML, media-workshop

Hi,

As discussed on our IRC #v4l channel at Freenode, we'll be running a 3-day
Media Controller workshop in Helsinki between July 29-31.

The main goal of this workshop is to fixup the problems with the Media
Controller API to properly represent device nodes and the control tree,
as this is a requirement for the Media Controller to be used by DVB, ALSA
and radio devices.

This is an invitation-only event, as we want to be sure that we'll have
there people that are actively working with the Media Controller, DVB
and/or ALSA. So, if you think this is for you, please send us an e-mail.

Also, even if you're not able to participate, feel free to submit relevant
topics related to the Media Controller, in order to help us to build
the workshop's agenda and take other needs into account when working on
the needed API changes.

As usual, we'll be using the media-workshop@linuxtv.org ML for the
specific discussions about that, so the ones interested on participate
on such discussions and/or be present there are requested to subscribe
it, and to submit themes of interest via the mailing lists.

For those interested on this theme, I'll add a list of the most relevant
past discussions about this theme.

Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Mauro

---

The DVB needs with regards to MC are mapped on those two blog entries:
	http://blogs.s-osg.org/media-controller-support-for-dvb-part-1/
	http://blogs.s-osg.org/the-role-of-dtv-network-interfaces-in-media-controller-support-for-dvb/

We had two discussions about MC on our last mini-summit, back on March, 26.
The discussions and slides can be found at:
	http://linuxtv.org/news.php?entry=2015-05-05.mchehab
	http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/presentations/media_summit_2015_US/dtv_media_controller_discussion_v1.pdf

A summary of the issues can also be seen on the emails below:
	https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85910.html
	https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85979.html
	https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg83883.html
	https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg83884.html

Patches that minimally expose DVB via MC were merged on Kernel 4.1,
although it is currently marked as BROKEN, in order to tag those API
extensions as likely to change on future versions.

The initial patchset proposal for ALSA support on MC is there at:
	http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg89574.html

The most recent proposal for such fixup can be seen at:
	http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg91365.html

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Media Controller workshop in Helsinki
@ 2015-07-08 12:17 ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2015-07-08 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, LMML, media-workshop, alsa-devel

Cc: ALSA ML

On 07/08/2015 01:16 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As discussed on our IRC #v4l channel at Freenode, we'll be running a 3-day
>  Media Controller workshop in Helsinki between July 29-31.
>
> The main goal of this workshop is to fixup the problems with the Media
> Controller API to properly represent device nodes and the control tree, as
> this is a requirement for the Media Controller to be used by DVB, ALSA and
> radio devices.
>
> This is an invitation-only event, as we want to be sure that we'll have
> there people that are actively working with the Media Controller, DVB
> and/or ALSA. So, if you think this is for you, please send us an e-mail.
>
> Also, even if you're not able to participate, feel free to submit
> relevant topics related to the Media Controller, in order to help us to
> build the workshop's agenda and take other needs into account when working
> on the needed API changes.
>
> As usual, we'll be using the media-workshop@linuxtv.org ML for the
> specific discussions about that, so the ones interested on participate on
> such discussions and/or be present there are requested to subscribe it,
> and to submit themes of interest via the mailing lists.
>
> For those interested on this theme, I'll add a list of the most relevant
> past discussions about this theme.
>
> Hope to see you there!
>
> Regards, Mauro
>
> ---
>
> The DVB needs with regards to MC are mapped on those two blog entries:
> http://blogs.s-osg.org/media-controller-support-for-dvb-part-1/
> http://blogs.s-osg.org/the-role-of-dtv-network-interfaces-in-media-controller-support-for-dvb/
>
>  We had two discussions about MC on our last mini-summit, back on March,
> 26. The discussions and slides can be found at:
> http://linuxtv.org/news.php?entry=2015-05-05.mchehab
> http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/presentations/media_summit_2015_US/dtv_media_controller_discussion_v1.pdf
>
>  A summary of the issues can also be seen on the emails below:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85910.html
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg85979.html
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg83883.html
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg83884.html
>
> Patches that minimally expose DVB via MC were merged on Kernel 4.1,
> although it is currently marked as BROKEN, in order to tag those API
> extensions as likely to change on future versions.
>
> The initial patchset proposal for ALSA support on MC is there at:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg89574.html
>
> The most recent proposal for such fixup can be seen at:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg91365.html

* Re: [media-workshop] [ANNOUNCE] Media Controller workshop in Helsinki
@ 2015-07-08 21:53   ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2015-07-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Peter Clausen
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, LMML, media-workshop, alsa-devel

Hello folks,

Please let me know if you're planning to attend.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ailus@iki.fi	XMPP: sailus@retiisi.org.uk