* vivid - add support for YUV420
@ 2016-01-09  9:58 Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2016-01-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello,

I've been doing some tests with capturing video from virtual driver (vivid).
I've tried to force it to YUV420, but it ignores that, becuase it does
not support this format.
I would please like to ask if there is some way I can output YUV420
format with vivi.

Best Regards,
Ran

* Re: vivid - add support for YUV420
@ 2016-01-11 11:33 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2016-01-11 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ran Shalit, linux-media

On 01/09/2016 10:58 AM, Ran Shalit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been doing some tests with capturing video from virtual driver (vivid).
> I've tried to force it to YUV420, but it ignores that, becuase it does
> not support this format.

Yes, it does. What kernel are you using? Something old? Support for 4:2:0 was
added to vivid in March 2015.

> I would please like to ask if there is some way I can output YUV420
> format with vivi.

Upgrade your kernel :-)

BTW, please don't use vivi to refer to the vivid driver. There used to be an
older vivi driver that was replaced by vivid, so calling the vivid driver 'vivi'
is very confusing to me :-)

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2016-01-11 11:58   ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2016-01-11 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 01/09/2016 10:58 AM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been doing some tests with capturing video from virtual driver (vivid).
>> I've tried to force it to YUV420, but it ignores that, becuase it does
>> not support this format.
>
> Yes, it does. What kernel are you using? Something old? Support for 4:2:0 was
> added to vivid in March 2015.
>
>> I would please like to ask if there is some way I can output YUV420
>> format with vivi.
>
> Upgrade your kernel :-)

Right.
The kernel in Cent0S 7.2 (last release) is 3.10.0.
I am not sure I can update CentOS with kernel.org last release because
of probably many dependencies ( Is it possible ?)
Anyway, vivid , is life saving tool for newcomers. Absolutely.

Regards,
Ran

@ 2016-01-11 15:55     ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2016-01-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> On 01/09/2016 10:58 AM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been doing some tests with capturing video from virtual driver (vivid).
>>> I've tried to force it to YUV420, but it ignores that, becuase it does
>>> not support this format.
>>
>> Yes, it does. What kernel are you using? Something old? Support for 4:2:0 was
>> added to vivid in March 2015.
>>
>>> I would please like to ask if there is some way I can output YUV420
>>> format with vivi.
>>
>> Upgrade your kernel :-)
>
> Right.
> The kernel in Cent0S 7.2 (last release) is 3.10.0.
> I am not sure I can update CentOS with kernel.org last release because
> of probably many dependencies ( Is it possible ?)
> Anyway, vivid , is life saving tool for newcomers. Absolutely.
>
> Regards,
> Ran

Hi,

Do you think it worth trying to upgrade vivid package only from 3.10
(vivi) to 3.18 (vivid),
or is it too complex to try and depend on many other files ?

Thanks,

@ 2016-01-11 16:19       ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2016-01-11 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ran Shalit; +Cc: linux-media

On 01/11/2016 04:55 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it does. What kernel are you using? Something old? Support for 4:2:0 was
>>> added to vivid in March 2015.

>>> Upgrade your kernel :-)
>>
>> Right.
>> The kernel in Cent0S 7.2 (last release) is 3.10.0.
>> I am not sure I can update CentOS with kernel.org last release because
>> of probably many dependencies ( Is it possible ?)
>> Anyway, vivid , is life saving tool for newcomers. Absolutely.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ran
>>

> Hi,
>
> Do you think it worth trying to upgrade vivid package only from 3.10
> (vivi) to 3.18 (vivid),
> or is it too complex to try and depend on many other files ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ran

A quick google gave me this:

http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/upgrade-linux-kernel-stable-3-18-4-centos/

Most distros can be upgraded to newer kernels if you look around a bit.

Regards,

	Hans