* [GIT PULL FOR v4.15] Cleanup fixes
@ 2017-09-08 14:34 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2017-09-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

coccinelle, checkpatch, coverity, etc. etc.

Regards,

	Hans

The following changes since commit 1efdf1776e2253b77413c997bed862410e4b6aaf:

  media: leds: as3645a: add V4L2_FLASH_LED_CLASS dependency (2017-09-05 16:32:45 -0400)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git for-v4.15a

for you to fetch changes up to d50cd4ba25f6a9b5cfd7012cbe0d8c146212cda1:

  media: cx23885: make const array buf static, reduces object code size (2017-09-08 16:13:36 +0200)

Bhumika Goyal (2):
      usb: make i2c_client const
      pci: make i2c_client const

Colin Ian King (5):
      rtl28xxu: make array rc_nec_tab static const
      cx25840: make array stds static const, reduces object code size
      cobalt: remove redundant zero check on retval
      ov9640: make const arrays res_x/y static const, reduces object code size
      media: cx23885: make const array buf static, reduces object code size

Daniel Scheller (1):
      dvb-frontends/mxl5xx: declare LIST_HEAD(mxllist) static

Markus Elfring (62):
      Cypress: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in cypress_load_firmware()
      Cypress: Improve a size determination in cypress_load_firmware()
      Siano: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in three functions
      Siano: Improve a size determination in six functions
      Siano: Adjust five checks for null pointers
      zr364xx: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions
      zr364xx: Improve a size determination in zr364xx_probe()
      zr364xx: Adjust ten checks for null pointers
      as102_fe: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in as102_attach()
      as102_fe: Improve a size determination in as102_attach()
      cx24113: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in cx24113_attach()
      cx24113: Return directly after a failed kzalloc() in cx24113_attach()
      cx24113: Improve a size determination in cx24113_attach()
      cx24116: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in cx24116_writeregN()
      cx24116: Return directly after a failed kmalloc() in cx24116_writeregN()
      cx24116: Delete an unnecessary variable initialisation in cx24116_writeregN()
      cx24116: Improve a size determination in cx24116_attach()
      cx24116: Delete an unnecessary variable initialisation in cx24116_attach()
      cx24116: Delete jump targets in cx24116_attach()
      drxd: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in load_firmware()
      drxd: Adjust a null pointer check in three functions
      ds3000: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions
      ds3000: Improve a size determination in ds3000_attach()
      ds3000: Delete an unnecessary variable initialisation in ds3000_attach()
      ds3000: Delete jump targets in ds3000_attach()
      mb86a20s: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in mb86a20s_attach()
      mb86a20s: Improve a size determination in mb86a20s_attach()
      mb86a20s: Delete a jump target in mb86a20s_attach()
      si2168: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in si2168_probe()
      sp2: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in sp2_probe()
      sp2: Improve a size determination in sp2_probe()
      sp2: Adjust three null pointer checks in sp2_exit()
      adv7604: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in adv76xx_probe()
      adv7604: Adjust a null pointer check in three functions
      adv7842: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in adv7842_probe()
      adv7842: Improve a size determination in adv7842_probe()
      cx18: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in cx18_probe()
      cx18: Improve a size determination in cx18_probe()
      cx18: Adjust ten checks for null pointers
      Hopper: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in hopper_pci_probe()
      Hopper: Improve a size determination in hopper_pci_probe()
      Hopper: Adjust a null pointer check in two functions
      Hopper: Delete an unnecessary variable initialisation in hopper_pci_probe()
      Mantis: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in mantis_pci_probe()
      Mantis: Improve a size determination in mantis_pci_probe()
      Mantis: Delete an unnecessary variable initialisation in mantis_pci_probe()
      meye: Delete three error messages for a failed memory allocation in meye_probe()
      meye: Adjust two function calls together with a variable assignment
      saa7164: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in saa7164_buffer_alloc()
      saa7164: Improve a size determination in two functions
      Hexium Gemini: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in hexium_attach()
      Hexium Gemini: Improve a size determination in hexium_attach()
      Hexium Orion: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in hexium_probe()
      Hexium Orion: Improve a size determination in hexium_probe()
      Hexium Orion: Adjust one function call together with a variable assignment
      atmel-isc: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in isc_formats_init()
      atmel-isc: Improve a size determination in isc_formats_init()
      atmel-isc: Adjust three checks for null pointers
      atmel-isi: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions
      atmel-isi: Improve three size determinations
      atmel-isi: Adjust a null pointer check in three functions
      blackfin: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in ppi_create_instance()

Thomas Meyer (1):
      lgdt3306a: Use ARRAY_SIZE macro

 drivers/media/common/cypress_firmware.c    |  6 ++----
 drivers/media/common/siano/smscoreapi.c    | 39 ++++++++++++++++-----------------------
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/as102_fe.c     |  7 +++----
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/cx24113.c      | 10 ++++------
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/cx24116.c      | 22 ++++++++--------------
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/drxd_hard.c    |  7 +++----
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/ds3000.c       | 22 +++++++---------------
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/lgdt3306a.c    |  3 ++-
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/mb86a20s.c     | 23 +++++++----------------
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/mxl5xx.c       |  2 +-
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/si2168.c       |  1 -
 drivers/media/dvb-frontends/sp2.c          |  9 ++++-----
 drivers/media/i2c/adv7604.c                | 10 ++++------
 drivers/media/i2c/adv7842.c                |  6 ++----
 drivers/media/i2c/cx25840/cx25840-core.c   |  2 +-
 drivers/media/i2c/soc_camera/ov9640.c      |  4 ++--
 drivers/media/pci/cobalt/cobalt-driver.c   |  2 --
 drivers/media/pci/cx18/cx18-driver.c       | 28 +++++++++++++---------------
 drivers/media/pci/cx23885/cx23885-cards.c  |  2 +-
 drivers/media/pci/cx23885/cx23885-i2c.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/media/pci/cx25821/cx25821-i2c.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtv-i2c.c          |  2 +-
 drivers/media/pci/mantis/hopper_cards.c    |  9 ++++-----
 drivers/media/pci/mantis/mantis_cards.c    |  8 +++-----
 drivers/media/pci/meye/meye.c              | 20 ++++++++------------
 drivers/media/pci/saa7134/saa7134-i2c.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/media/pci/saa7146/hexium_gemini.c  |  7 +++----
 drivers/media/pci/saa7146/hexium_orion.c   | 10 +++++-----
 drivers/media/pci/saa7164/saa7164-buffer.c |  8 +++-----
 drivers/media/pci/saa7164/saa7164-i2c.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/media/platform/atmel/atmel-isc.c   | 12 +++++-------
 drivers/media/platform/atmel/atmel-isi.c   | 20 ++++++++------------
 drivers/media/platform/blackfin/ppi.c      |  1 -
 drivers/media/usb/au0828/au0828-i2c.c      |  2 +-
 drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb-v2/rtl28xxu.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-i2c.c      |  2 +-
 drivers/media/usb/stk1160/stk1160-i2c.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/media/usb/zr364xx/zr364xx.c        | 32 ++++++++++++++------------------

* Re: [GIT PULL FOR v4.15] Cleanup fixes
@ 2017-09-23 12:38 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-09-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Em Fri, 8 Sep 2017 16:34:56 +0200
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> [...]
>       Hexium Gemini: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in hexium_attach()
>       Hexium Gemini: Improve a size determination in hexium_attach()
>       Hexium Orion: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in hexium_probe()
>       Hexium Orion: Improve a size determination in hexium_probe()
>       Hexium Orion: Adjust one function call together with a variable assignment
>       atmel-isc: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in isc_formats_init()
>       atmel-isc: Improve a size determination in isc_formats_init()
>       atmel-isc: Adjust three checks for null pointers
>       atmel-isi: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions
>       atmel-isi: Improve three size determinations
>       atmel-isi: Adjust a null pointer check in three functions
>       blackfin: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in ppi_create_instance()

It **really** doesn't makes any sense to send patch bombs like that!
That pisses me off, as it requires a considerable amount of time from
my side that could be used handling important stuff...

You're even doing the same logical change on the same driver several times,
like this one:
	atmel-isc: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in isc_formats_init()
	atmel-isi: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions

Please, never do this again. Instead, group patches that do the same
thing per subsystem.

This time, I was nice and I took some time doing:

	$ quilt fold < `quilt next` && quilt delete `quilt next`

In order to merge the same logic change altogether, applied to all
drivers at the subsystem.

Next time, I'll just ignore the hole crap.

Regards,
Mauro

* Re: [GIT PULL FOR v4.15] Cleanup fixes
@ 2017-09-23 14:43   ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-09-23 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media

>> coccinelle, checkpatch, coverity, etc.
> It **really** doesn't makes any sense to send patch bombs like that!

I got an other impression for this software development aspect.

> That pisses me off, as it requires a considerable amount of time from
> my side that could be used handling important stuff...

I can partly understand this view.

> You're even doing the same logical change on the same driver several times,
> like this one:
> 	atmel-isc: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in isc_formats_init()
> 	atmel-isi: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions

Such a change approach can occasionally occur because of my selection
for a specific patch granularity.

> Please, never do this again.

I guess that it will happen more because there are so many results
to consider from source code analysis.

> Instead, group patches that do the same thing per subsystem.

I was also uncertain about the acceptance for the suggested
change patterns.

> This time, I was nice and I took some time doing:
>
> 	$ quilt fold < `quilt next` && quilt delete `quilt next`
>
> In order to merge the same logic change altogether, applied to all
> drivers at the subsystem.

Thanks for your constructive information.

> Next time, I'll just ignore the hole crap.

Do you want a “development pause” from my queue of change possibilities?

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [GIT PULL FOR v4.15] Cleanup fixes
@ 2017-09-23 19:25     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-09-23 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SF Markus Elfring; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media

Em Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:43:53 +0200
SF Markus Elfring <elfring@users.sourceforge.net> escreveu:

> >> coccinelle, checkpatch, coverity, etc.
> …
> > It **really** doesn't makes any sense to send patch bombs like that!
>
> I got an other impression for this software development aspect.
>

> > That pisses me off, as it requires a considerable amount of time from
> > my side that could be used handling important stuff...
>
> I can partly understand this view.
>

> > You're even doing the same logical change on the same driver several times,
> > like this one:
> > 	atmel-isc: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in isc_formats_init()
> > 	atmel-isi: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in two functions
>
> Such a change approach can occasionally occur because of my selection
> for a specific patch granularity.

Then change patch granularity: one patch per subsystem or per
directory (e. g. pci, usb, platform, others).

> > Instead, group patches that do the same thing per subsystem.
>
> I was also uncertain about the acceptance for the suggested
> change patterns.

That's the usual criteria most maintainers use for cleanups.

> Do you want a “development pause” from my queue of change possibilities?

Those patches are mainly source code "polishing". I really don't
want to take much time handling such kind of patches, as they
usually doesn't fix any real bug, nor add functionality.

So, if you really want to contribute, the best is to buy yourself
some media devices, test them and send patches fixing real bugs
and improving the functionality of them.

Regards,
Mauro

* Re: [GIT PULL FOR v4.15] Cleanup fixes
@ 2017-09-23 20:02       ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-09-23 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media

> Then change patch granularity: one patch per subsystem or per
> directory (e. g. pci, usb, platform, others).

I imagine that the risks for disagreements can grow with such
a bigger scope.

> That's the usual criteria most maintainers use for cleanups.

I picked some update candidates up where the adjustments could be interpreted
as controversial (despite of your acceptance so far.)

>> Do you want a “development pause” from my queue of change possibilities?
>
> Those patches are mainly source code "polishing".

I prefer to improve existing source files for a while instead of finding
the next shiny development “toy”.

> I really don't want to take much time handling such kind of patches,
> as they usually doesn't fix any real bug, nor add functionality.

Can any of them influence the run time behaviour in desired ways?

Regards,
Markus