* [RFC] Move meson/vdec out of staging?
@ 2021-04-30  6:52 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2021-04-30  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Neil,

Is there anything still keeping meson/vdec in staging? The TODO says:

"This driver is in staging until the V4L2 documentation about stateful video
decoders is finalized, as well as the corresponding compliance tests.

It is at the moment not guaranteed to work properly with a userspace
stack that follows the latest version of the specification, especially
with compression standards like MPEG1/2 where the driver does not support
dynamic resolution switching, including the first one used to determine coded
resolution."

Certainly the first part is done, so what is the status of the second part?

It would be nice to move this out of staging, or, if that is not possible,
at least update the TODO file and ideally have someone work on the remaining
issues.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [RFC] Move meson/vdec out of staging?
@ 2021-09-08 21:41 ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2021-09-08 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Neil,

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 at 03:52, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Is there anything still keeping meson/vdec in staging? The TODO says:
>
> "This driver is in staging until the V4L2 documentation about stateful video
> decoders is finalized, as well as the corresponding compliance tests.
>
> It is at the moment not guaranteed to work properly with a userspace
> stack that follows the latest version of the specification, especially
> with compression standards like MPEG1/2 where the driver does not support
> dynamic resolution switching, including the first one used to determine coded
> resolution."
>
> Certainly the first part is done, so what is the status of the second part?
>
> It would be nice to move this out of staging, or, if that is not possible,
> at least update the TODO file and ideally have someone work on the remaining
> issues.

Is dynamic resolution switching really a reason for the driver to remain
in staging?

AFAIK, the stateful decoder API is now finished, there are a couple
drivers that implement it, do we have reasons to believe meson is not
at the same level?

I don't have Amlogic hardware but I suspect the driver is now
mature for the promotion.

Thanks,
Ezequiel