* Issues with ov5640 sensor
@ 2019-02-13  8:02 Eugen.Hristev
From: Eugen.Hristev @ 2019-02-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loic.poulain; +Cc: linux-media, sakari.ailus

Hello Loic,

I am trying to make sensor Omnivision ov5640 work with our Atmel-isc
controller, I saw you implemented RAW mode for this sensor in the
driver, so I was hoping I can ask you some things:

I cannot make the RAW bayer format work, BA81 / mbus
MEDIA_BUS_FMT_SBGGR8_1X8 makes the photo look like a maze of colors...

The sensor works for me in YUYV and RGB565 mode, so I assume the wiring
is done correctly for my setup

Anything special I need to do for this format to work ?

The same RAW BAYER configuration works for me on ov7670 for example...

Unrelated: are you familiar with ov7740 ? This sensor looks to have
stopped working in latest mediatree : failed to enable streaming.
(worked perfectly in last stable for me - 4.14...)

Thanks for your reply,

Eugen

* Re: Issues with ov5640 sensor
@ 2019-02-13  8:51 ` Loic Poulain
From: Loic Poulain @ 2019-02-13  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugen.Hristev; +Cc: linux-media, Sakari Ailus

Hi Eugen,

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 09:02, <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com> wrote:

> Hello Loic,
>
> I am trying to make sensor Omnivision ov5640 work with our Atmel-isc
> controller, I saw you implemented RAW mode for this sensor in the
> driver, so I was hoping I can ask you some things:
>
> I cannot make the RAW bayer format work, BA81 / mbus
> MEDIA_BUS_FMT_SBGGR8_1X8 makes the photo look like a maze of colors...
>
> The sensor works for me in YUYV and RGB565 mode, so I assume the wiring
> is done correctly for my setup
>
> Anything special I need to do for this format to work ?

I definitely need to check with the latest driver version, many
changes have been integrated recently, including clock
autoconfiguration.
Moreover, AFAIU, you are connected via the parallel interface, I only
tested with MIPI/CSI.
I would suggest you adding debug in the ov5640 driver to retrieve
calculated pclk, sysclk, etc...
Also the following lines does'nt look correct anymore:

    /*
     * All the formats we support have 16 bits per pixel, seems to require
     * the same rate than YUV, so we can just use 16 bpp all the time.
     */
    rate = mode->vtot * mode->htot * 16;
    rate *= ov5640_framerates[sensor->current_fr];

With RAW8, we have 8 bits per pixel, maybe it would worth for testing
purpose to change 16 to 8 and see what happens.

> The same RAW BAYER configuration works for me on ov7670 for example...
>
> Unrelated: are you familiar with ov7740 ? This sensor looks to have
> stopped working in latest mediatree : failed to enable streaming.
> (worked perfectly in last stable for me - 4.14...)

No sorry.

Regards,
Loic

* Re: Issues with ov5640 sensor
@ 2019-02-27 13:31   ` Eugen.Hristev
From: Eugen.Hristev @ 2019-02-27 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loic.poulain; +Cc: linux-media, sakari.ailus, slongerbeam

On 13.02.2019 10:51, Loic Poulain wrote:
> Hi Eugen,
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 09:02, <Eugen.Hristev@microchip.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Loic,
>>
>> I am trying to make sensor Omnivision ov5640 work with our Atmel-isc
>> controller, I saw you implemented RAW mode for this sensor in the
>> driver, so I was hoping I can ask you some things:
>>
>> I cannot make the RAW bayer format work, BA81 / mbus
>> MEDIA_BUS_FMT_SBGGR8_1X8 makes the photo look like a maze of colors...
>>
>> The sensor works for me in YUYV and RGB565 mode, so I assume the wiring
>> is done correctly for my setup
>>
>> Anything special I need to do for this format to work ?
>
> I definitely need to check with the latest driver version, many
> changes have been integrated recently, including clock
> autoconfiguration.
> Moreover, AFAIU, you are connected via the parallel interface, I only
> tested with MIPI/CSI.

Hi Loic,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I am using parallel interface.

One question: have you tried other resolutions than 640x480 ? 640x480
works well for me, 1280x720 gives out image, but it's totally garbled,
and higher resolutions don't work at all : there is no vsync detected on
the line whatsoever...

Or perhaps anyone else using this sensor (driver) in any configuration ?

> I would suggest you adding debug in the ov5640 driver to retrieve
> calculated pclk, sysclk, etc...
> Also the following lines does'nt look correct anymore:
>
>      /*
>       * All the formats we support have 16 bits per pixel, seems to require
>       * the same rate than YUV, so we can just use 16 bpp all the time.
>       */
>      rate = mode->vtot * mode->htot * 16;
>      rate *= ov5640_framerates[sensor->current_fr];
>
> With RAW8, we have 8 bits per pixel, maybe it would worth for testing
> purpose to change 16 to 8 and see what happens.

I can check it out.