* [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-03-03 14:44 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2023-03-03 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/

I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
Dublin last year.

I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.

So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
need for your topic.

Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
want to join.

Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.

So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-03-06  8:57 ` Hans Verkuil
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2023-03-06  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/03/2023 15:44, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
> with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:
>
> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/
>
> I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
> for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
> hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
> Dublin last year.
>
> I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
> everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.
>
> So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
> very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
> need for your topic.
>
> Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
> I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
> want to join.
>
> Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
> Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
> is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
> up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
> That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
> speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.
>
> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

I have one:

Review the subsystem development process: what can be improved?
Are there media developers who are interested in becoming maintainers?
Given the amount of traffic I would definitely like to see one or two
additional maintainers.

Guesstimate: 45 minutes

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-03-23 10:05 ` Hans Verkuil
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2023-03-23 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/03/2023 15:44, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
> with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:
>
> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/
>
> I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
> for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
> hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
> Dublin last year.
>
> I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
> everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.
>
> So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
> very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
> need for your topic.
>
> Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
> I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
> want to join.
>
> Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
> Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
> is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
> up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
> That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
> speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.
>
> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Discuss the "media: v4l2: Add extended fmt and buffer" patch series:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/cover/20230206043308.28365-1-ayaka@soulik.info/

We've been postponing the work on this, but I think we need to decide how to
proceed since pixel formats and single vs multi planar is getting to be a nightmare.

@ 2023-03-23 11:24   ` Hsia-Jun Li
From: Hsia-Jun Li @ 2023-03-23 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/23/23 18:05, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 03/03/2023 15:44, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
>> with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:
>>
>> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/
>>
>> I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
>> for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
>> hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
>> Dublin last year.
>>
>> I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
>> everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.
>>
>> So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
>> very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
>> need for your topic.
>>
>> Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
>> I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
>> want to join.
>>
>> Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
>> Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
>> is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
>> up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
>> That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
>> speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.
>>
>> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> 	Hans
>
> Discuss the "media: v4l2: Add extended fmt and buffer" patch series:
>
> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/cover/20230206043308.28365-1-ayaka@soulik.info/
>
> We've been postponing the work on this, but I think we need to decide how to
> proceed since pixel formats and single vs multi planar is getting to be a nightmare.
Thank you for promoting this topic.
I may not be able to join there physically, I am sure I would be there
in virtual.

I would leave my outline here:

1. v4l2 header would only maintain the codec format and pixel format in bus.
2. the pixel formats would be maintained by the DirectRender, those M
variant would not be supported in the new extend pixel format API.
3. The number of plane for a pixel format would also responds for its
data layout. Ex. NV12 = 2 planes(luma, chroma), I420 = 3 planes(Y, U, V).
4. Userspace that supports new extend API could access those driver
didn't adapt the new API, kernel would have a backward compatible layer.
While the opposite backward compatible is not offered(old API userspace
can't access the driver support the new API).

[optional part]
5. An alloc flag would be introduced for allocating those M variant buf.
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230322105226.122467-1-randy.li@synaptics.com/
6. stateless codec format would be a modifier to the stateful codec
format. We could support different packing mode here.

I have some other topics for v4l2 which were less important than this
pain in the ass. I would discuss those in IRC(linux-media or gstreamer),
which have been sent to the mail list before.
1. separate buf queue for encoder reference bufs or decoder post
processing bufs.
	DELETE_BUF or extend API
2. timestamp for tracking field or slices input bufs.

I would send the outline of those topics if people think any of them is
important.

--
Hsia-Jun(Randy) Li

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-03-23 14:55   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2023-03-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 09:57:30AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 03/03/2023 15:44, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
> > with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:
> >
> > https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/
> >
> > I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
> > for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
> > hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
> > Dublin last year.
> >
> > I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
> > everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.
> >
> > So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
> > very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
> > need for your topic.
> >
> > Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
> > I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
> > want to join.
> >
> > Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
> > Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
> > is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
> > up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
> > That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
> > speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.
> >
> > So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>
> I have one:
>
> Review the subsystem development process: what can be improved?
> Are there media developers who are interested in becoming maintainers?
> Given the amount of traffic I would definitely like to see one or two
> additional maintainers.
>
> Guesstimate: 45 minutes

I'm sure we could spend the whole day discussing this :-) More than
incremental improvements to the development process, I think we need to
discuss the maintainership model in its entirety. The Linux media
subsystem is severely understaffed (if anyone disagrees I'd be very
interested in hearing counter-arguments), and I don't think we'll fix
that incrementaly without considering on-boarding of additional
maintainers, as well as retention of existing contributors. Compared to
some other subsystems (I'm thinking about DRM in particular), we have
*very* few contributors who stay and become maintainers. That's for me
the most important issue to solve if we want to scale.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-04-11 15:47 ` Daniel Almeida
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Almeida @ 2023-04-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adding mine:

Rust V4L2 support:

Discuss the potential blockers as well as the roadmap and priorities for
bindings. Present what is currently supported and what isn't in the Rust
code for V4L2. Identify potential candidates for new drivers that can be
written in Rust. Discuss about maintainership issues related to Rust in
V4L2.

Guesstimate: 45 minutes

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-04-12 14:17 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2023-04-12 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/03/2023 15:44, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
> with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:
>
> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/
>
> I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
> for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
> hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
> Dublin last year.
>
> I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
> everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.
>
> So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
> very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
> need for your topic.
>
> Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
> I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
> want to join.
>
> Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
> Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
> is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
> up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
> That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
> speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.
>
> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Topic: should we keep the media summit together with the ELCE conference?
Or organize it separately, and ask a company like Cisco, Intel or Collabora
to organize a room. What would work best?

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-04-28  8:49 ` Andrzej Pietrasiewicz
From: Andrzej Pietrasiewicz @ 2023-04-28  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

W dniu 3.03.2023 o 15:44, Hans Verkuil pisze:
> Hi all, >

<snip>

> So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
> very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
> need for your topic.

I'd like to discuss "Stateless encoding in V4L2: Trying VP8".

I envision the discussion around these topics:

A)
- Introduction to stateless encoders and previous work in this area

https://github.com/bootlin/linux/tree/hantro/h264-encoding-v5.11

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/20230309125651.23911-1-andrzej.p@collabora.com/T/

- High level decisions
- Rate control

B)
- VP8 uAPI

C)
- Challenges

About time: Let's try 45 minutes. But of course it is only a guesstimate.

Regards,

Andrzej

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-05-02 13:41   ` Ricardo Ribalda Delgado
From: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado @ 2023-05-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans

I would like to share the progress on KCAM from our end. It should
take much less time than last year. Guesstimate than 15-20 minutes.

I am also trying to collect all the requirements that we are getting
from vendors regarding V4L2. Guesstimate 10 minutes

I am also very interested in some of the other topics :)

Looking forward to meeting in Prague!

--
Ricardo Ribalda

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-05-13 11:56 ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2023-05-13 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 03:44:00PM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!

Thank you for organising this.

I'd like to propose to discuss generic line-based metadata formats in the
meeting:
<URL:https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/20230505215257.60704-1-sakari.ailus@linux.intel.com/T/#t>.

Sakari Ailus

* Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th
@ 2023-05-15 14:45   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2023-05-15 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sakari,

On 13/05/2023 13:56, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 03:44:00PM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>
> Thank you for organising this.
>
> I'd like to propose to discuss generic line-based metadata formats in the
> meeting:
> <URL:https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/20230505215257.60704-1-sakari.ailus@linux.intel.com/T/#t>.

Do you have a guesstimate how much time this topic will take?

@ 2023-05-16 10:20     ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2023-05-16 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 04:45:56PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi Sakari,
>
> On 13/05/2023 13:56, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 03:44:00PM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >> So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
> >
> > Thank you for organising this.
> >
> > I'd like to propose to discuss generic line-based metadata formats in the
> > meeting:
> > <URL:https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/20230505215257.60704-1-sakari.ailus@linux.intel.com/T/#t>.
> >

> Do you have a guesstimate how much time this topic will take?

Good question. I'd guess 45 minutes should suffice. This is closely related
to streams and internal pads (part of the same set) so some time is needed
for introducing these.

Sakari Ailus