linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
* asynchronous readahead prefetcher operation
@ 2017-07-12 20:31 Vasilis Dimitsas
From: Vasilis Dimitsas @ 2017-07-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mm

Good evening,

I am currently working on a project which is related to the operation of
the linux readahead prefetcher. As a result, I am trying to understand its
operation. Having read thoroughly the relevant part in the kernel code, I
realize, from the comments, that part of the prefetching occurs
asynchronously. The problem is that I can not verify this from the code.

Even if you call page_cache_sync_readahead() or
page_cache_async_readahead(), then both will end up in ra_submit(), in
which, the operation is common for both cases.

So, please could you tell me at which point does the operation of
prefetching occurs asynchronously?

Thank you in advance,

Vasilis Dimitsas