linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
* [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] A case of a CXL compressed memory tier
@ 2024-05-14  1:31 Yiannis Nikolakopoulos
From: Yiannis Nikolakopoulos @ 2024-05-14  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc, Adam Manzanares; +Cc: linux-mm, linux-cxl, Angelos Arelakis, Weiny, Ira

Hello all,

This is almost literally last minute and the work itself is only getting
started. But since I'm virtually attending, I thought to give it a shot in
case it is of interest.

Background: at ZeroPoint Technologies we are developing inline memory
compression IP. Currently we are focusing on CXL type 3 devices (memory
expanders), effectively introducing a compressed memory tier (i.e.
fulfilling the OCP specification "Hyperscale CXL Tiered Memory Expander
Specification”).

To utilize the memory saved due to compression, we oversubscribe the Device
Physical Address Space (DPA) in addition to some custom .io interfaces. If
there is interest, I would be glad to present these APIs and how the host's
point of view changes compared to a "typical" memory tiering system. The
goal would be to get some early feedback and direction for our upstream
driver development, before we start pushing the first RFCs.

Best regards,
Yiannis

--
Yiannis Nikolakopoulos, PhD