Linux-Modules Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Replacement for blacklisting with 'install MOD /bin/false'?
@ 2020-03-21 14:22 Topi Miettinen
From: Topi Miettinen @ 2020-03-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules

Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement for the deprecated 'install MOD
/bin/{false,true}' modprobe.d rules for always blacklisting a module.
The advantage of using the 'install' rule is that the 'blacklist' rules
are ignored when loading modules manually, but the 'install' rules is
not. Perhaps there should be a new rule ('always_blacklist'?) which is
always obeyed?

-Topi

* Re: Replacement for blacklisting with 'install MOD /bin/false'?
@ 2020-03-23 19:29 ` Lucas De Marchi
From: Lucas De Marchi @ 2020-03-23 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Topi Miettinen; +Cc: linux-modules

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 04:22:22PM +0200, Topi Miettinen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for a replacement for the deprecated 'install MOD
>/bin/{false,true}' modprobe.d rules for always blacklisting a module.
>The advantage of using the 'install' rule is that the 'blacklist'
>rules are ignored when loading modules manually, but the 'install'
>rules is not. Perhaps there should be a new rule ('always_blacklist'?)
>which is always obeyed?

yeah, I do have a sketch for "hard-blacklist" for that exact reason...

I will try to revive that patches soon.

thanks
Lucas De Marchi