linux-modules.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Static build of kmod
@ 2020-03-19 14:31 Rolf Eike Beer
From: Rolf Eike Beer @ 2020-03-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules

Greetings,

since commit b7016153ec87dba2b0f0d182cc8f1e3b12f4dfaf building static kmod is
disabled. I would like to question that decision.

My use case is as follows: I build a custom BSP and would like to provide
statically linked host tools. That makes it easy to deploy them at any
location, and that these tools do not pick up random shared libraries of the
underlying Linux system when executed. Currently kmod is one of the few
packages that are not able to build in that way.

I understand that you may want to prevent other tools (e.g. sytemd was
mentioned in that commit) to link against a static libkmod, and that is fine
with me. What I would like to get is static kmod tools. For the BSP host tools
case I don't mind if a libkmod does not exist at all, only the tools are of
interest.

What do you think?

Regards,

Eike
--
Rolf Eike Beer, emlix GmbH, http://www.emlix.com
Fon +49 551 30664-0, Fax +49 551 30664-11

emlix - smart embedded open source