linux-msdos.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* DOS emulators
@ 2021-01-19 12:26 Tomas By
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Tomas By @ 2021-01-19 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a DOS program under Linux, and have tried these:

DOSbox: fails because the program needs SHARE.EXE
QEMU/FreeDOS: fails immediately with message about interrupt
QEMU/MS-DOS 6.22: fails after a while with internal error code
DosEMU (2): fails after a while with same internal error code
Virtualbox/MS-DOS 6.22: works

However, I need to get data in and out, so Virtualbox is not optimal,
and I'd like it to be simple and minimal, like QEMU.

Are there any other options?

/Tomas

* Re: DOS emulators
@ 2021-01-19 15:24 ` John Coppens
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Coppens @ 2021-01-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas By; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:26:19 +0100
Tomas By <tomas@basun.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to run a DOS program under Linux, and have tried these:

It would be useful to have the exact error messages, and *which* program
is failing...

However, I've found this reference which might be of help:

https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/dos-programs-that-require-shareexe/
(particularly the reference that, in some cases, just the presence of share.exe is
necessary - it's not really used)

Did you try to run your program under Wine?

John

* Re: DOS emulators
@ 2021-01-19 15:28 ` Tavis Ormandy
From: Tavis Ormandy @ 2021-01-19 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

On 2021-01-19, Tomas By <tomas@basun.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to run a DOS program under Linux, and have tried these:

You might have to give more details, what program is this, and what is
the exact error? In dosemu, you can get more details from the boot.log
file in your ~/.dosemu directory.

I exchange data with the host in dosemu over redirected drives. For
example, I like to use 1-2-3, so this makes my Documents directory
accessible as I:\ in DOS:

LREDIR I: \\linux\fs\home\taviso\Documents

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso@sdf.org

* Re: DOS emulators
@ 2021-01-19 17:40 ` Felix Miata
From: Felix Miata @ 2021-01-19 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Tomas By composed on 2021-01-19 13:26 (UTC+0100):

> I'm trying to run a DOS program under Linux, and have tried these:

> DOSbox: fails because the program needs SHARE.EXE
> QEMU/FreeDOS: fails immediately with message about interrupt
> QEMU/MS-DOS 6.22: fails after a while with internal error code
> DosEMU (2): fails after a while with same internal error code
> Virtualbox/MS-DOS 6.22: works

> However, I need to get data in and out, so Virtualbox is not optimal,
> and I'd like it to be simple and minimal, like QEMU.

> Are there any other options?

OS/2 has always advertised itself as a better DOS than DOS.
https://www.arcanoae.com/

If it's a one time thing, maybe there's a user near you that can help.
https://warp.groups.io/g/main
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

* Re: DOS emulators
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-19 18:34 ` Franta Hanzlík
From: Franta Hanzlík @ 2021-01-19 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas By; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:26:19 +0100
Tomas By <tomas@basun.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to run a DOS program under Linux, and have tried these:
>
> DOSbox: fails because the program needs SHARE.EXE
> QEMU/FreeDOS: fails immediately with message about interrupt
> QEMU/MS-DOS 6.22: fails after a while with internal error code
> DosEMU (2): fails after a while with same internal error code
> Virtualbox/MS-DOS 6.22: works
>
> However, I need to get data in and out, so Virtualbox is not optimal,
> and I'd like it to be simple and minimal, like QEMU.
>
> Are there any other options?
>
> /Tomas

IMO Dosemu2 is actively maintained and errors are corrected - you
should get involved, report bugs on the project page, and work
together to fix the bug.
---
Franta Hanzlik