linux-mtd.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* New NAND driver
@ 2014-03-24 13:24 Lee Jones
From: Lee Jones @ 2014-03-24 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: computersforpeace; +Cc: angus.clark, dwmw2, linux-mtd, linux-kernel, kernel

Hi Brian,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for supporting the inclusion of ST's SPI
NOR (FSM) driver. As promised I will convert it over to the new
framework once it has been applied by your good self.

In the meantime however, I have a NAND driver which I need to
submit. I wanted to give you a heads-up prior to sending it in case
you had any special requests. FYI: Shoving it where the sun don't
shine, is not a valid request by the way :). It's 2700 lines and I've
split it over 47 patches for reviewing purposes.

Sorry to do this to you Brian, I am sensitive to how over-burdened you
are with the subsystem already. Perhaps it might make sense to put out
a plea for volunteers to help with maintain MTD subsystem on LKML?

Anyway, what's the best thing to do in this instance? Should I just
send it to the list as an RFC and be done with it?

Kind regards,
Lee

--
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead

* Re: New NAND driver
@ 2014-03-24 20:39 ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2014-03-24 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd
  Cc: angus.clark, kernel, dwmw2, linux-kernel, computersforpeace, Lee Jones

On Monday, March 24, 2014 at 02:24:46 PM, Lee Jones wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Firstly I'd like to thank you for supporting the inclusion of ST's SPI
> NOR (FSM) driver. As promised I will convert it over to the new
> framework once it has been applied by your good self.
>
> In the meantime however, I have a NAND driver which I need to
> submit. I wanted to give you a heads-up prior to sending it in case
> you had any special requests. FYI: Shoving it where the sun don't
> shine, is not a valid request by the way :). It's 2700 lines and I've
> split it over 47 patches for reviewing purposes.

One nand driver in 47 patches ? Whoa ;-)

Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* RE: New NAND driver
@ 2014-03-25  6:18 ` Gupta, Pekon
From: Gupta, Pekon @ 2014-03-25  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Jones, computersforpeace
  Cc: angus.clark, dwmw2, linux-kernel, linux-mtd, kernel

Hi,

>From: Lee Jones
>
>Hi Brian,
>
>Firstly I'd like to thank you for supporting the inclusion of ST's SPI
>NOR (FSM) driver. As promised I will convert it over to the new
>framework once it has been applied by your good self.
>
>In the meantime however, I have a NAND driver which I need to
>submit. I wanted to give you a heads-up prior to sending it in case
>you had any special requests. FYI: Shoving it where the sun don't
>shine, is not a valid request by the way :). It's 2700 lines and I've
>split it over 47 patches for reviewing purposes.

Will it be possible for you to send the patches split in one patch per file ?
As switching back and forth, between 47 patches may be bit troublesome.
Later you may split it as you or others like..

>Sorry to do this to you Brian, I am sensitive to how over-burdened you
>are with the subsystem already. Perhaps it might make sense to put out
>a plea for volunteers to help with maintain MTD subsystem on LKML?

I can help reviewing those patches, if you can please share your
controller specs, and also share if there are any already know
hardware limitations.

>Anyway, what's the best thing to do in this instance? Should I just
>send it to the list as an RFC and be done with it?

with regards, pekon

* Re: New NAND driver
@ 2014-03-25  7:59   ` Lee Jones
From: Lee Jones @ 2014-03-25  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gupta, Pekon
  Cc: angus.clark, kernel, linux-kernel, linux-mtd, computersforpeace, dwmw2

Morning Pekon,

> >From: Lee Jones
> >
> >Hi Brian,
> >
> >Firstly I'd like to thank you for supporting the inclusion of ST's SPI
> >NOR (FSM) driver. As promised I will convert it over to the new
> >framework once it has been applied by your good self.
> >
> >In the meantime however, I have a NAND driver which I need to
> >submit. I wanted to give you a heads-up prior to sending it in case
> >you had any special requests. FYI: Shoving it where the sun don't
> >shine, is not a valid request by the way :). It's 2700 lines and I've
> >split it over 47 patches for reviewing purposes.
> >
> Will it be possible for you to send the patches split in one patch per file ?
> As switching back and forth, between 47 patches may be bit troublesome.
> Later you may split it as you or others like..

There is only one file. I can send it as a single patch; however, when
I sent the NOR driver [1], it was considered helpful to review in
chunks, kinda how the driver was written. I'll send it as a set to
start with and if you think it creates more problems than it solves
then we'll do something about it.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/20/103

> >Sorry to do this to you Brian, I am sensitive to how over-burdened you
> >are with the subsystem already. Perhaps it might make sense to put out
> >a plea for volunteers to help with maintain MTD subsystem on LKML?
> >
> I can help reviewing those patches, if you can please share your
> controller specs, and also share if there are any already know
> hardware limitations.

Thanks for your kind offer. I will send it right away.

@ 2014-03-25  9:49     ` Gupta, Pekon
From: Gupta, Pekon @ 2014-03-25  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Jones
  Cc: angus.clark, kernel, linux-kernel, linux-mtd, computersforpeace, dwmw2

Hello Lee,

[...]
>> I can help reviewing those patches, if you can please share your
>> controller specs, and also share if there are any already know
>> hardware limitations.
>
>Thanks for your kind offer. I will send it right away.

Is the spec for this controller available in public domain somewhere ?

with regards, pekon

* Re: New NAND driver
@ 2014-03-25 10:46       ` Lee Jones
From: Lee Jones @ 2014-03-25 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gupta, Pekon
  Cc: angus.clark, kernel, linux-kernel, linux-mtd, computersforpeace, dwmw2

Hi Pekon,

> [...]
> >> I can help reviewing those patches, if you can please share your
> >> controller specs, and also share if there are any already know
> >> hardware limitations.
> >
> >Thanks for your kind offer. I will send it right away.
> >
> Is the spec for this controller available in public domain somewhere ?

I don't think it is. To my knowledge all of the public NAND
documentation can be found here:

  http://www.stlinux.com/howto/NAND

I appreciate that this can make things a little awkward, but these
decisions are made well above my pay grade.

Kind regards,
Lee