* linux-next: strange commit in the parisc-hd tree
@ 2016-01-10 22:28 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2016-01-10 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller, Parisc List; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi all,

I noticed the following commit in the parisc-hd tree today:

  43122681dd75 ("Fix __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE on parisc")

which among other things says:

  This patch is not planned to be committed as it currently is.

It also has no Signed-off-by :-(

Please remove it from linux-next inclusion until it is ready.  Delibeately
introducing a patch to linux-next that may well cause build breakage
in other architectures just before the merge window opens is a bit
antisocial.

I will merge a revert commit for it today.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

* Re: linux-next: strange commit in the parisc-hd tree
@ 2016-01-11 21:46 ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-01-11 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Parisc List; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On 10.01.2016 23:28, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> I noticed the following commit in the parisc-hd tree today:
>
>   43122681dd75 ("Fix __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE on parisc")
>
> which among other things says:
>
>   This patch is not planned to be committed as it currently is.

Right, I split it up into two.

> [...] Please remove it from linux-next inclusion until it is ready.

Sure, I just removed it now.

> Delibeately introducing a patch to linux-next that may well cause build breakage
> in other architectures just before the merge window opens is a bit antisocial.

That was in no way my intention.
In contrary, I wanted to see if other platforms are affected by the same bug without knowing.
Do you by any chance know if it broke some of the existing platforms?
If yes, that would be valuable info...

Just in case people want to know what this is all about:
On parisc I found __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE to have a wrong value in 64bit kernel builds.
Patch which fixes it is here:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7994821/

To prevent other (existing and future) architectures to run into the same
problem I wanted to test this patch via linux-next and inform them:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/deller/parisc-linux.git/commit/?h=test__ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE

Helge

* Re: linux-next: strange commit in the parisc-hd tree
@ 2016-01-11 22:32   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2016-01-11 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller; +Cc: Parisc List, linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Helge,

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:46:48 +0100 Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 10.01.2016 23:28, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > I noticed the following commit in the parisc-hd tree today:
> >
> >   43122681dd75 ("Fix __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE on parisc")
> >
> > which among other things says:
> >
> >   This patch is not planned to be committed as it currently is.
>
> Right, I split it up into two.

Good idea.

> > [...] Please remove it from linux-next inclusion until it is ready.
>
> Sure, I just removed it now.

Thanks.

> > Delibeately introducing a patch to linux-next that may well cause build breakage
> > in other architectures just before the merge window opens is a bit antisocial.
>
> That was in no way my intention.
> In contrary, I wanted to see if other platforms are affected by the same bug without knowing.
> Do you by any chance know if it broke some of the existing platforms?
> If yes, that would be valuable info...

No, because I took it out of linux-next yesterday.  It is more a timing
thing, if you had done that a few weeks ago, I would have just reported
any build errors and continued on, but just before the merge window
opens we don;t need the distraction.  Also, if you can create another
branch and give it to the zero day build farm, you should get better
feed back.

Also, linux-next is not supposed to contain patches without a
Signed-off-by ...
--

@ 2016-01-11 22:39   ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2016-01-11 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller, Stephen Rothwell, Parisc List; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On Mon, 2016-01-11 at 22:46 +0100, Helge Deller wrote:
> On 10.01.2016 23:28, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > I noticed the following commit in the parisc-hd tree today:
> >
> >   43122681dd75 ("Fix __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE on parisc")
> >
> > which among other things says:
> >
> >   This patch is not planned to be committed as it currently is.
>
> Right, I split it up into two.
>
> > [...] Please remove it from linux-next inclusion until it is ready.
>
> Sure, I just removed it now.
>
> > Delibeately introducing a patch to linux-next that may well cause build breakage
> > in other architectures just before the merge window opens is a bit antisocial.
>
> That was in no way my intention.
> In contrary, I wanted to see if other platforms are affected by the same bug without knowing.
> Do you by any chance know if it broke some of the existing platforms?
> If yes, that would be valuable info...
>
> Just in case people want to know what this is all about:
> On parisc I found __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE to have a wrong value in 64bit kernel builds.
> Patch which fixes it is here:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7994821/
>
> To prevent other (existing and future) architectures to run into the same
> problem I wanted to test this patch via linux-next and inform them:
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/deller/parisc-linux.git/commit/?h=test__ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE

That doesn't fire on powerpc, ie. we have it correct.

Though I wonder why it's not just defined using offsetof? Possibly just that
it's awkward with the way the headers are organised.

cheers

* Re: linux-next: strange commit in the parisc-hd tree
@ 2016-01-12 21:43     ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2016-01-12 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman, Stephen Rothwell, Parisc List; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On 11.01.2016 23:39, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-01-11 at 22:46 +0100, Helge Deller wrote:
>> On 10.01.2016 23:28, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> I noticed the following commit in the parisc-hd tree today:
>>>
>>>   43122681dd75 ("Fix __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE on parisc")
>>>
>>> which among other things says:
>>>
>>>   This patch is not planned to be committed as it currently is.
>>
>> Right, I split it up into two.
>>
>>> [...] Please remove it from linux-next inclusion until it is ready.
>>
>> Sure, I just removed it now.
>>
>>> Delibeately introducing a patch to linux-next that may well cause build breakage
>>> in other architectures just before the merge window opens is a bit antisocial.
>>
>> That was in no way my intention.
>> In contrary, I wanted to see if other platforms are affected by the same bug without knowing.
>> Do you by any chance know if it broke some of the existing platforms?
>> If yes, that would be valuable info...
>>
>> Just in case people want to know what this is all about:
>> On parisc I found __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE to have a wrong value in 64bit kernel builds.
>> Patch which fixes it is here:
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7994821/
>>
>> To prevent other (existing and future) architectures to run into the same
>> problem I wanted to test this patch via linux-next and inform them:
>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/deller/parisc-linux.git/commit/?h=test__ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE
>
> That doesn't fire on powerpc, ie. we have it correct.

It really seems that parisc was the only architecture left which had a wrong value for __ARCH_SI_PREAMBLE_SIZE.
I followed Stephens suggestion to try it via the zero day build farm and it was only reported one problem (for parisc).
Tree is here: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/deller/parisc-linux.git/log/?h=for-next-test

> Though I wonder why it's not just defined using offsetof? Possibly just that
> it's awkward with the way the headers are organised.

Yes.

Helge