* Re: linux-next: Requirements and process
       [not found] ` <20080503160724.6c3e0392.sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
@ 2008-07-22 22:31   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2008-07-22 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, LKML, Andrew Morton, Linus

On Sat, 3 May 2008 16:07:24 +1000 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> In case it isn't clear, I need to be told where I can get a particular
> tree from and who should be contacted in case of problems (I do not troll
> through the MAINTAINERS file).  I can currently handle git trees and
> quilt series.  I am willing to consider other formats/scms.  I also do
> not mind having multiple trees (or branches or series files) for a single
> subsystem/maintainer.
>
> Series files must be annotated with an indication of the place in Linus'
> tree that they are based on using the following format:
>
> # BASE <some identification of a place in Linus' tree>
>
> This base can be a SHA1 or a release tag or one of the ...-git<n> or the
> output from "git describe".  Alternatively, you can be based on another
> tree in linux-next by using:
>
> # NEXT_BASE <name of a tree in linux-next>

What do we use for BASE or NEXT_BASE if the base tree is linux-next?
Just don't use these annotations?

> The names are in the Next/Trees file in each release and normally do not
> change.
>
> Also you may (if you like) delimit the parts of the series you want in
> linux-next by using:
>
> # NEXT_PATCHES_START
> .
> .
> # NEXT_PATCHES_END
>
> There can be multiple such sections.

---
~Randy
Linux Plumbers Conference, 17-19 September 2008, Portland, Oregon USA
http://linuxplumbersconf.org/

* Re: linux-next: Requirements and process
@ 2008-07-23  4:28     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2008-07-23  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-next, LKML, Andrew Morton, Linus

Hi Randy,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:31:14 -0700 Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:

> > output from "git describe".  Alternatively, you can be based on another
> > tree in linux-next by using:
> >
> > # NEXT_BASE <name of a tree in linux-next>
>
> What do we use for BASE or NEXT_BASE if the base tree is linux-next?
> Just don't use these annotations?

The name from the Next/Trees file in any linux-next release.  You should
be very careful doing this if you don't control the other tree, though.
And you should let me know so that I can order the trees appropriately.

This was mainly added for Greg who has 4 quilt series in linux-next that
depend on each other.  If you depend on some random tree that changes day
to day your quilt series may no longer apply cleanly on top of it.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

* Re: linux-next: Requirements and process
       [not found] ` <20080502233519.a988b552.akpm@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2008-07-23  4:41   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2008-07-23  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: linux-next, LKML, Linus, Hirokazu Takata, linux-m32r,
	Kyle McMartin, Matthew Wilcox, Grant Grundler, linux-parisc,
	Chris Zankel