* linux-next: back merge of Linus' tree into the vfio tree
@ 2013-09-05 23:08 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2013-09-05 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Williamson; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Alex,

I noticed that you have back merged Linus' tree into yours.  Linus
usually takes a dim view of that - especially when there is no
explanation in the merge commit message.  i.e. you shouldn't to that
unless you really need to - and then you should explain why you did it.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next: back merge of Linus' tree into the vfio tree
@ 2013-09-05 23:14 ` Alex Williamson
From: Alex Williamson @ 2013-09-05 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On Fri, 2013-09-06 at 09:08 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I noticed that you have back merged Linus' tree into yours.  Linus
> usually takes a dim view of that - especially when there is no
> explanation in the merge commit message.  i.e. you shouldn't to that
> unless you really need to - and then you should explain why you did it.

Hmm, I was hoping that wouldn't be a problem, especially with no
conflicts in the merge.  I did it because the first commit after the
merge in my next tree depends on PCI changes that have already been
merged by Linus.  Re-basing is an even bigger sin and I felt it better
to do a merge than ask for two pulls or add an unbuild-able commit to my
next tree.  How do you suggest that I resolve this?  Thanks,

Alex

* Re: linux-next: back merge of Linus' tree into the vfio tree
@ 2013-09-06  3:31   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2013-09-06  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Williamson; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel