* Re: Regarding the l2-mtd branch in linux-next
       [not found] <20131120114654.GA26240@localhost>
@ 2013-11-20 18:34 ` Brian Norris
From: Brian Norris @ 2013-11-20 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezequiel Garcia; +Cc: linux-mtd, linux-next, Artem Bityutskiy, David Woodhouse

Hi Ezequiel,

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 08:46:55AM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> Can you explain in detail the differences between l2-mtd/master and
> l2-mtd/next?
>
> I'm seeing linux-next merges the former, but instead maybe it should
> be the latter?
>
> What do you think?

I only created the l2-mtd.git 'next' branch recently because I don't
think linux-next likes to see new stuff during the merge window that's
not going into the current release cycle. So I just queued up stuff in a
different branch temporarily, and I plan to bring it into 'master' on
top of 3.13-rc1 once the merge window closes.

In answer to your second question, then, the inclusion of
l2-mtd.git/master in linux-next is exactly as intended.

I am new at this whole maintainership thing, though, and I could be very
wrong about the intended development process regarding linux-next and
the merge window. I couldn't find much clear documentation regarding
this process. I suppose it's something you learn over time. Any comments
are welcome.

Regards,
Brian

* Re: Regarding the l2-mtd branch in linux-next
@ 2013-11-20 19:45   ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2013-11-20 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Norris; +Cc: linux-mtd, linux-next, Artem Bityutskiy, David Woodhouse

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:34:17AM -0800, Brian Norris wrote:
> Hi Ezequiel,
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 08:46:55AM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> > Can you explain in detail the differences between l2-mtd/master and
> > l2-mtd/next?
> >
> > I'm seeing linux-next merges the former, but instead maybe it should
> > be the latter?
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I only created the l2-mtd.git 'next' branch recently because I don't
> think linux-next likes to see new stuff during the merge window that's
> not going into the current release cycle. So I just queued up stuff in a
> different branch temporarily, and I plan to bring it into 'master' on
> top of 3.13-rc1 once the merge window closes.
>
> In answer to your second question, then, the inclusion of
> l2-mtd.git/master in linux-next is exactly as intended.
>
> I am new at this whole maintainership thing, though, and I could be very
> wrong about the intended development process regarding linux-next and
> the merge window. I couldn't find much clear documentation regarding
> this process. I suppose it's something you learn over time. Any comments
> are welcome.

Hm, I see. Well, I'm not an expert but the above sounds just about the
right thing to do.

Sorry for the noise!
--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering