* linux-next: build failure in the powerpc allyesconfig build
@ 2016-12-05  5:22 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2016-12-05  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, PowerPC
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Nicholas Piggin

Hi all,

After mergeing everything but Andrew's tree, today's linux-next build
(powerpc allyesconfig) failed like this:

kallsyms failure: relative symbol value 0xc000000000000000 out of range in relative mode

I have no idea what caused this, so I have left the powerpc allyesconfig
build broken for now.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: build failure in the powerpc allyesconfig build
@ 2016-12-05  5:24 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2016-12-05  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, PowerPC
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Nicholas Piggin

Hi all,

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:22:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> After mergeing everything but Andrew's tree, today's linux-next build
> (powerpc allyesconfig) failed like this:
>
> kallsyms failure: relative symbol value 0xc000000000000000 out of range in relative mode
>
> I have no idea what caused this, so I have left the powerpc allyesconfig
> build broken for now.

Just as a data point, I tried reverting commit

  dadc4a1bb9f0 ("powerpc/64: Fix placement of .text to be immediately following .head.text")

but that did not help.
--

@ 2016-12-05  5:41   ` Nicholas Piggin
From: Nicholas Piggin @ 2016-12-05  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, PowerPC, linux-next,
	linux-kernel

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:24:31 +1100
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:22:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > After mergeing everything but Andrew's tree, today's linux-next build
> > (powerpc allyesconfig) failed like this:
> >
> > kallsyms failure: relative symbol value 0xc000000000000000 out of range in relative mode
> >
> > I have no idea what caused this, so I have left the powerpc allyesconfig
> > build broken for now.
>
> Just as a data point, I tried reverting commit
>
>   dadc4a1bb9f0 ("powerpc/64: Fix placement of .text to be immediately following .head.text")
>
> but that did not help.

In scripts/kallsyms.c, is there a table[i].sym string you can print?

* Re: linux-next: build failure in the powerpc allyesconfig build
@ 2016-12-05  6:16     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2016-12-05  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Piggin
  Cc: Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, PowerPC, linux-next,
	linux-kernel

Hi Nick,

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:41:53 +1100 Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com> wrote:

> In scripts/kallsyms.c, is there a table[i].sym string you can print?

From a quick try, it printed nothing useful i.e. just some garbled
random characters.

--

@ 2016-12-08 13:31 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-12-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
	linux-next, linux-kernel, Nicholas Piggin

On Monday, December 5, 2016 4:22:04 PM CET Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After mergeing everything but Andrew's tree, today's linux-next build
> (powerpc allyesconfig) failed like this:
>
> kallsyms failure: relative symbol value 0xc000000000000000 out of range in relative mode
>
> I have no idea what caused this, so I have left the powerpc allyesconfig
> build broken for now.

I get this on an x86-64 randconfig build:

kallsyms failure: relative symbol value 0xffffffff81000000 out of range in relative mode

This is probably related, so it's not something powerpc specific.

	Arnd