* linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the media tree
@ 2017-10-09 18:26 Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2017-10-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Aishwarya Pant, Branislav Radocaj, Sakari Ailus,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab
  Cc: Linux-Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi Greg,

Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got a conflict in:

  drivers/staging/media/atomisp/pci/atomisp2/css2400/sh_css_firmware.c

between commit:

   866af46e6ebbc ("media: Staging: atomisp: fix alloc_cast.cocci warnings")

from the media tree and commit:

   4d962df5a7771 ("atomisp2: remove cast from memory allocation")

from the staging tree.

I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
complex conflicts.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the media tree
@ 2017-10-09 19:05 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-10-09 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Aishwarya Pant, Branislav Radocaj, Sakari Ailus,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux-Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 07:26:54PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got a conflict in:
>
>   drivers/staging/media/atomisp/pci/atomisp2/css2400/sh_css_firmware.c
>
> between commit:
>
>    866af46e6ebbc ("media: Staging: atomisp: fix alloc_cast.cocci warnings")
>
> from the media tree and commit:
>
>    4d962df5a7771 ("atomisp2: remove cast from memory allocation")
>
> from the staging tree.
>
> I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
> is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
> with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> complex conflicts.

What fix?  :(

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the media tree
@ 2017-10-09 19:12   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2017-10-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Aishwarya Pant, Branislav Radocaj, Sakari Ailus,

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 09:05:32PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:

> What fix?  :(

It's a null diff, the change isn't needed any more.

@ 2017-11-13  5:24 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-11-13  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
  Cc: Mark Brown, Aishwarya Pant, Branislav Radocaj, Sakari Ailus,
	Linux-Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi all,

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 19:26:54 +0100 Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got a conflict in:
>
>   drivers/staging/media/atomisp/pci/atomisp2/css2400/sh_css_firmware.c
>
> between commit:
>
>    866af46e6ebbc ("media: Staging: atomisp: fix alloc_cast.cocci warnings")
>
> from the media tree and commit:
>
>    4d962df5a7771 ("atomisp2: remove cast from memory allocation")
>
> from the staging tree.
>
> I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
> is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
> with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> complex conflicts.

Just a reminder that this conflict still exists.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the media tree
@ 2017-11-14 23:28   ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2017-11-14 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Greg KH
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Mark Brown, Aishwarya Pant,
	Branislav Radocaj, Linux-Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi Stephen, Greg, others,

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 04:24:47PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 19:26:54 +0100 Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >   drivers/staging/media/atomisp/pci/atomisp2/css2400/sh_css_firmware.c
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >    866af46e6ebbc ("media: Staging: atomisp: fix alloc_cast.cocci warnings")
> >
> > from the media tree and commit:
> >
> >    4d962df5a7771 ("atomisp2: remove cast from memory allocation")
> >
> > from the staging tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> > is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> > conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
> > is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
> > with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> > complex conflicts.
>
> Just a reminder that this conflict still exists.

Both patches essentially contain the same change, the difference is in the
indentation only. There's a number of atomisp patches in the media tree,
how about simply reverting the patch in the staging tree?

Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@linux.intel.com

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the media tree
@ 2017-11-15  1:25     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-11-15  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sakari Ailus
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Greg KH, Mark Brown, Aishwarya Pant,
	Branislav Radocaj, Linux-Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Em Wed, 15 Nov 2017 01:28:06 +0200
Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@linux.intel.com> escreveu:

> Hi Stephen, Greg, others,
>
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 04:24:47PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 19:26:54 +0100 Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > Today's linux-next merge of the staging tree got a conflict in:
> > >
> > >   drivers/staging/media/atomisp/pci/atomisp2/css2400/sh_css_firmware.c
> > >
> > > between commit:
> > >
> > >    866af46e6ebbc ("media: Staging: atomisp: fix alloc_cast.cocci warnings")
> > >
> > > from the media tree and commit:
> > >
> > >    4d962df5a7771 ("atomisp2: remove cast from memory allocation")
> > >
> > > from the staging tree.
> > >
> > > I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> > > is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> > > conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
> > > is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
> > > with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> > > complex conflicts.
> >
> > Just a reminder that this conflict still exists.
>
> Both patches essentially contain the same change, the difference is in the
> indentation only. There's a number of atomisp patches in the media tree,
> how about simply reverting the patch in the staging tree?

Today morning I merged the changeset from staging tree that Greg
sent to Linux (and that was already merged upstream), solving the conflict.

So, except if something else pops up, the conflict at -next will
cease to exist after it gets merged back there :-)

Regards,
Mauro