* linux-next: error while fetching the spi-nor tree
@ 2017-12-12 20:58 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-12-12 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cyrille,

Fetching the spi-nor tree
(git://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git#spi-nor/next) this morning, I get
theses errors:

remote: error: Could not read 6e408e3aa1643624ea7da50ad5b27a226a16a654
remote: fatal: bad tree object 6e408e3aa1643624ea7da50ad5b27a226a16a654
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
fatal: protocol error: bad pack header

I wil continue to use the previously fetched tree.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: error while fetching the spi-nor tree
@ 2017-12-12 21:24 ` Cyrille Pitchen
From: Cyrille Pitchen @ 2017-12-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stephen,

I've just added 2 commits about 8 hours ago, nothing special.
Could the issue be explained by an unlikely bad timing?

I don't see anything wrong when fetching the tree or when browsing the
web server:
http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/shortlog/refs/heads/spi-nor/next

Please, let me know whether it was a spurious error or if it still doesn't
work. Currently, I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, thanks for your report.

Best regards,

Cyrille

@ 2017-12-12 22:35   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-12-12 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cyrille,

[cc'ing Linus on the off chance he knows something relevant]

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:24:17 +0100 Cyrille Pitchen <cyrille.pitchen@wedev4u.fr> wrote:

> I've just added 2 commits about 8 hours ago, nothing special.
> Could the issue be explained by an unlikely bad timing?

No idea.  The current top commit in my copy of your branch is:

  b3fbf5e23f8c ("mtd: spi-nor: Check that BP bits are set properly")

> I don't see anything wrong when fetching the tree or when browsing the
> web server:
> http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/shortlog/refs/heads/spi-nor/next
>
> Please, let me know whether it was a spurious error or if it still doesn't
> work. Currently, I don't know what's going on.

I am still getting the error.  I even tried cloning your tree and got
the same error.

> Le 12/12/2017 à 21:58, Stephen Rothwell a écrit :
> > Hi Cyrille,
> >
> > Fetching the spi-nor tree
> > (git://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git#spi-nor/next) this morning, I get
> > theses errors:
> >
> > remote: error: Could not read 6e408e3aa1643624ea7da50ad5b27a226a16a654

This SHA1 refers to a tree object (representing the drivers directory)
that exists in my tree somewhere (I don't know how to figure out which
commit it is related to (if any)).

@ 2017-12-12 22:53   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2017-12-12 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyrille Pitchen

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Cyrille Pitchen
<cyrille.pitchen@wedev4u.fr> wrote:

> I don't see anything wrong when fetching the tree or when browsing the
> web server:
> http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/shortlog/refs/heads/spi-nor/next

There's definitely something funky there.

  http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/commitdiff/f3203415105860e811f4ee9508efd009c9e6525e
  http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/commitdiff/7a6843af9089b01eab266bbee0ed19f98f09a94a

both show "no differences found". I suspect that's because of git diff
failing due to missing objects.

Most likely reason? Something like an unsafe garbage collect / prune
operation at infradead.org at the same time as you pushed. I don't
know what infradead.org does, but you can definitely do bad things
maintaining a git tree.

I would suggest doing a force-push back to some known-good state, and
then pushing it out again.

Ie, something like

    git push --force infradead.org:l2-mtd.git v4.15-rc1:master

to reset the master branch to v4.15-rc1, and then pushing out again.
And then asking whoever maintains the infradead git trees if something
odd happened..

              Linus

* Re: linux-next: error while fetching the spi-nor tree
@ 2017-12-12 23:40     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-12-12 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cyrille,

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:35:30 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> [cc'ing Linus on the off chance he knows something relevant]
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:24:17 +0100 Cyrille Pitchen <cyrille.pitchen@wedev4u.fr> wrote:
> >
> > I've just added 2 commits about 8 hours ago, nothing special.
> > Could the issue be explained by an unlikely bad timing?

I assume you did something as the fetch works fine now (including the 2
new commits).

--

@ 2017-12-12 23:48     ` Cyrille Pitchen
From: Cyrille Pitchen @ 2017-12-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, David Woodhouse, Richard Weinberger,
	Brian Norris, Boris Brezillon, Marek Vasut

Hi all,

+ MTD maintainers

Le 12/12/2017 à 23:53, Linus Torvalds a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Cyrille Pitchen
> <cyrille.pitchen@wedev4u.fr> wrote:
>>
>> I don't see anything wrong when fetching the tree or when browsing the
>> web server:
>> http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/shortlog/refs/heads/spi-nor/next
>
> There's definitely something funky there.
>
>   http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/commitdiff/f3203415105860e811f4ee9508efd009c9e6525e
>   http://git.infradead.org/l2-mtd.git/commitdiff/7a6843af9089b01eab266bbee0ed19f98f09a94a
>
> both show "no differences found". I suspect that's because of git diff
> failing due to missing objects.
>
> Most likely reason? Something like an unsafe garbage collect / prune
> operation at infradead.org at the same time as you pushed. I don't
> know what infradead.org does, but you can definitely do bad things
> maintaining a git tree.
>
> I would suggest doing a force-push back to some known-good state, and
> then pushing it out again.
>
> Ie, something like
>
>     git push --force infradead.org:l2-mtd.git v4.15-rc1:master
>
> to reset the master branch to v4.15-rc1, and then pushing out again.
> And then asking whoever maintains the infradead git trees if something
> odd happened..

I think I've fixed the issue following your advice.
However I don't know what happened to these old commits.
I've added MTD in Cc if they have some idea.

Anyway, sorry for this mess and thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Cyrille