Linux-Next Archive on lore.kernel.org
* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree
@ 2019-10-21 20:48 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2019-10-21 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In commit

  4609f9894ead ("SUNRPC: The TCP back channel mustn't disappear while requests are outstanding")

Fixes tag

  Fixes: 2ea24497a1b3 ("SUNRPC: RPC callbacks may be split across several..")

has these problem(s):

  - Subject does not match target commit subject
    Just use
	git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree
@ 2019-05-30 21:58 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2019-05-30 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In commit

  ec6017d90359 ("SUNRPC fix regression in umount of a secure mount")

Fixes tag

  Fixes: c8485e4d63 ("SUNRPC: Handle ECONNREFUSED correctly in xprt_transmit()")

has these problem(s):

  - SHA1 should be at least 12 digits long
    Can be fixed by setting core.abbrev to 12 (or more) or (for git v2.11
    or later) just making sure it is not set (or set to "auto").

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree
@ 2019-01-16 15:24       ` Chuck Lever
From: Chuck Lever @ 2019-01-16 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gortmaker
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Stephen Rothwell, Anna Schumaker, Trond Myklebust,
	Linux NFS Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Jan 15, 2019, at 6:38 PM, Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:

> [Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree] On 15/01/2019 (Tue 23:12) Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 22:41:21 +0100,
>> Chuck Lever wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Stephen-

>>> I shortened the commit title so that the Fixes: line is shorter than 68
>>> characters. I can leave these titles alone if that's preferred.
>>
>> I've sometimes shorted the subject like the above, too, as I find a
>> too long text annoying.  Maybe the partial string matching should
>> suffice, especially when it ends with "..." ?
>
> The problem is consistency.  Perhaps you shorten at four words.  A
> person searches with five words or 70 chars -  they never see your commit.
>
> The idea of consistency across the "Fixes:" tags is to allow a level of
> automated processing so that the creators of the stable releases can do
> a lot less manual hands-on processing.  They have enough work to do.

My impression was the scripted processing here relies on the commit
ID and not on the patch short description.

The convention of shortening the description with an ellipsis is
already widely used. I think it's reasonable to allow it.

--
Chuck Lever

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree
@ 2019-01-16  6:32       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-01-16  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gortmaker
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Chuck Lever, Stephen Rothwell, Anna Schumaker,
	Trond Myklebust, Linux NFS Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:38:11 +0100,
Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> [Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree] On 15/01/2019 (Tue 23:12) Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 22:41:21 +0100,
> > Chuck Lever wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Stephen-

> > > I shortened the commit title so that the Fixes: line is shorter than 68
> > > characters. I can leave these titles alone if that's preferred.
> >
> > I've sometimes shorted the subject like the above, too, as I find a
> > too long text annoying.  Maybe the partial string matching should
> > suffice, especially when it ends with "..." ?
>
> The problem is consistency.  Perhaps you shorten at four words.  A
> person searches with five words or 70 chars -  they never see your commit.

What's the reason to search for words instead of commit ID?

> The idea of consistency across the "Fixes:" tags is to allow a level of
> automated processing so that the creators of the stable releases can do
> a lot less manual hands-on processing.  They have enough work to do.

Yes, I know, but the important point for stable pick-up is the
correctness of the commit ID, no?

I can understand the need for validity check of the Fixes tag,
especially to check whether the given commit ID is really correct, in
linux-next stage.  But this can be verified even with a partial string
match.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree
@ 2019-01-15 23:38     ` Paul Gortmaker
From: Paul Gortmaker @ 2019-01-15 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Chuck Lever, Stephen Rothwell, Anna Schumaker, Trond Myklebust,
	Linux NFS Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

[Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the nfs-anna tree] On 15/01/2019 (Tue 23:12) Takashi Iwai wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 22:41:21 +0100,
> Chuck Lever wrote:
> >
> > Hi Stephen-
> >
> > On Jan 15, 2019, at 4:38 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > > [I am experimenting with checking the Fixes tags in commits in linux-next.
> > > Please let me know if you think I am being too strict.]
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Commit
> > >
> > >  deaa5c96c2f7 ("SUNRPC: Address Kerberos performance/behavior regression")
> > >
> > > has problem with this Fixes tag:
> > >
> > >  Fixes: 918f3c1fe83c ("SUNRPC: Improve latency for interactive ... ")
> > >
> > > The subject should match the subject of the fixed commit.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Stephen Rothwell
> >
> > I shortened the commit title so that the Fixes: line is shorter than 68
> > characters. I can leave these titles alone if that's preferred.
>
> I've sometimes shorted the subject like the above, too, as I find a
> too long text annoying.  Maybe the partial string matching should
> suffice, especially when it ends with "..." ?

The problem is consistency.  Perhaps you shorten at four words.  A
person searches with five words or 70 chars -  they never see your commit.

The idea of consistency across the "Fixes:" tags is to allow a level of
automated processing so that the creators of the stable releases can do
a lot less manual hands-on processing.  They have enough work to do.

Thanks,
Paul.
--

@ 2019-01-15 22:12   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-01-15 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Lever
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Anna Schumaker, Trond Myklebust,
	Linux NFS Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Paul Gortmaker

@ 2019-01-15 21:41 ` Chuck Lever
From: Chuck Lever @ 2019-01-15 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Linux Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Paul Gortmaker

@ 2019-01-15 21:38 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2019-01-15 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
	Paul Gortmaker