* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-04-27 22:42 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-04-27 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

Hi all,

In commit

  bc7608890065 ("mm/mlock: use maple state in apply_mlockall_flags()")

Fixes tag

  Fixes: 0d43186b36c1 (mm/mlock: use vma iterator and instead of vma linked list)

has these problem(s):

  - Target SHA1 does not exist

Maybe you meant

Fixes: 1dfcb33e7c19 ("mm/mlock: use vma iterator and instead of vma linked list")

This is a semi-automatic notification - I know this is just a fix patch
that will probably be rolled into the patch it fixes.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-04-28  2:37 ` Liam Howlett
From: Liam Howlett @ 2022-04-28  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> [220427 18:42]:
> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   bc7608890065 ("mm/mlock: use maple state in apply_mlockall_flags()")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: 0d43186b36c1 (mm/mlock: use vma iterator and instead of vma linked list)
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Target SHA1 does not exist
>
> Maybe you meant
>
> Fixes: 1dfcb33e7c19 ("mm/mlock: use vma iterator and instead of vma linked list")

I did.

> This is a semi-automatic notification - I know this is just a fix patch
> that will probably be rolled into the patch it fixes.

I'm sorry but there will most likely be more of these since I used a
side branch for my fixes today.

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-04-28  3:09   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2022-04-28  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Howlett

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:37:53 +0000 Liam Howlett <liam.howlett@oracle.com> wrote:

> * Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> [220427 18:42]:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In commit
> >
> >   bc7608890065 ("mm/mlock: use maple state in apply_mlockall_flags()")
> >
> > Fixes tag
> >
> >   Fixes: 0d43186b36c1 (mm/mlock: use vma iterator and instead of vma linked list)
> >
> > has these problem(s):
> >
> >   - Target SHA1 does not exist
> >
> > Maybe you meant
> >
> > Fixes: 1dfcb33e7c19 ("mm/mlock: use vma iterator and instead of vma linked list")
>
> I did.
>

> > This is a semi-automatic notification - I know this is just a fix patch
> > that will probably be rolled into the patch it fixes.
>
> I'm sorry but there will most likely be more of these since I used a
> side branch for my fixes today.

I dunno about all of this.  My approach to SHA1 shortening is to lean
on the backspace key until it looks about right (circa 1.5" in metric),
then ship it.

How about we simply turn this off?

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2024-02-25 21:18 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2024-02-25 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In commit

  67a2a6472632 ("x86/mm: further clarify switch_mm_irqs_off() documentation")

from the mm-unstable branch of the mm tree, Fixes tag

  Fixes: accf6b23d1e5 ("x86/mm: clarify "prev" usage in switch_mm_irqs_off()")

has these problem(s):

  - Target SHA1 does not exist

Maybe you meant

Fixes: 3cfd6625a6cf ("x86/mm: clarify "prev" usage in switch_mm_irqs_off()")

(from the mm-stable branch of the mm tree)

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2024-02-04 21:29 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2024-02-04 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In commit

  d2593cf2e3f2 ("mm: memcg: use larger batches for proactive reclaim")

Fixes tag

  Fixes: 0388536ac291 ("mm:vmscan: fix inaccurate reclaim during proactive re=

has these problem(s):

  - Subject has leading but no trailing parentheses
  - Subject has leading but no trailing quotes
  - Subject does not match target commit subject
    Just use
        git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'

Please do not split fixes tags over more than one line.

--

@ 2023-12-13  1:04 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2023-12-13  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 07:59:19 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   fa28adea6a65 ("mm: thp: Fix build warning when CONFIG_SYSFS is disabled")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: fe2c9313a8c0 ("mm: thp: Introduce multi-size THP sysfs interface")
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Target SHA1 does not exist
>
> Maybe you meant
>
> Fixes: 17e9a3099850 ("mm: thp: introduce multi-size THP sysfs interface")

Yes, but the base patch is in mm-unstable so its hash changes every day.

I'll just remove the hash:

Fixes: ("mm: thp: Introduce multi-size THP sysfs interface")

which I expect will generate another hello-from-Stephen.

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2023-12-12 20:59 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-12-12 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2023-10-17  4:33 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-10-17  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In commit

  f8b008d22ffe ("mm/migrate: correct nr_failed in migrate_pages_sync()")

Fixes tag

  Fixes: 2ef7dbb26990 ("migrate_pages: try migrate in batch asynchronously fi=

@ 2023-10-10 15:42 ` Zi Yan
From: Zi Yan @ 2023-10-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On 10 Oct 2023, at 1:47, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   2a936ebfab06 ("mm/migrate: correct nr_failed in migrate_pages_sync()")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: 2ef7dbb26990 ("migrate_pages: try migrate in batch asynchronously fi=
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Subject has leading but no trailing parentheses
>   - Subject has leading but no trailing quotes
>   - Subject does not match target commit subject
>     Just use
> 	git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'
>
> Please do not split Fixes tags over more than one line.

I have "transferEncoding=quoted-printable" set in my gitconfig, so git send-email
splits long lines by itself. Something wrong with that? In the email body,
it has "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable" too.

--
Best Regards,
Yan, Zi

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2023-10-10  5:47 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-10-10  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2022-11-24 13:37     ` Jann Horn
From: Jann Horn @ 2022-11-24 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 1:13 AM Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 00:06:28 +0100 Jann Horn <jannh@google.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 11:08 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > In commit
> > >
> > >   d5d60d30f574 ("mmu_gather: Use macro arguments more carefully")
> > >
> > > Fixes tag
> > >
> > >   Fixes: a6d60245d6d9 ("asm-generic/tlb: Track which levels of the page table=
> > >
> > > has these problem(s):
> >
> > I'm not sure what happened here - when I apply the mail that I sent
> > with "git am", the "Fixes" line is properly one line. But in the
> > version that landed in the tree, it looks as if the quoted-printable
> > encoding was not decoded for that one line?
>
> My email client has trouble decoding the quoted-printable stuff.  I
> have a nightly script which tells me about stragglers, but Stephen
> sometimes gets there first.  99% of people use

Ok, I'll change my git configuration to that and hope that doesn't
break something else. ^^

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-11-24  0:13   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2022-11-24  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jann Horn

@ 2022-11-23 23:06 ` Jann Horn
From: Jann Horn @ 2022-11-23 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2022-11-23 22:08 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-11-23 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2022-11-23 22:00 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-11-23 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

Hi all,

In commit

  5d956020603d ("mm/khugepaged: invoke MMU notifiers in shmem/file collapse paths")

Fixes tag

  Fixes: f3f0e1d2150b ("khugepaged: add support of collapse for tmpfs/shmem p=

@ 2022-09-21 18:24     ` Zach O'Keefe
From: Zach O'Keefe @ 2022-09-21 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 2:04 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 07:47:51 -0700 "Zach O'Keefe" <zokeefe@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Apologies here.  Yes, the correct Fixes tag should be, based off latest
> > mm-unstable,
> >
> > Fixes: 8d88fef0b3d8 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
> >
> > Now, I'm quite confused as to has this happened as I've been generating
> > citations using something similar to the --format string you reference, but
> > perhaps this time I chose to do it manually and messed it up.  Anyways, will
> > write something to catch these mistakes in the future.
>
> The hashes in mm-unstable change every day.
>
> Doesn't matter, I'll queue fixes against mm-unstable's foo.patch as
> foo-fix.patch and I'll squash foo-fix.patch into foo.patch before
> moving f.patch into mm-stable.

Roger that, thanks Andrew.

> > Andrew, there are a few changes incoming to the "mm: add file/shmem support to
> > MADV_COLLAPSE" series based off recent reviews (including another patch with
> > a commit description change).  Perhaps it's easier for me to send a new (v4)
> > series to mm-unstable to address these?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to
> > request these metadata changes.
>
> As described above, the metadata gets fixed at this end.  mm-unstable
> is called "unstable" for a reason ;)
>
> But yes, I think a replacement series would be best in this case.

Sounds good, and hopefully I will have that out later today.

Best, and thanks for your help here,
Zach

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-09-19 21:04   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2022-09-19 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach O'Keefe

@ 2022-09-19 14:47 ` Zach O'Keefe
From: Zach O'Keefe @ 2022-09-19 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Sep 19 08:21, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   3a41f36f7083 ("selftests/vm: fix "add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing" for tmpfs")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: 64b9fb1fa904 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Subject does not match target commit subject
>     Just use
> 	git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'
>
> So
>
> Fixes: 64b9fb1fa904 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse shmem testing")
>
> or maybe
>
> Fixes: 465c955b7343 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell

Hey Stephen,

Apologies here.  Yes, the correct Fixes tag should be, based off latest
mm-unstable,

Fixes: 8d88fef0b3d8 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")

Now, I'm quite confused as to has this happened as I've been generating
citations using something similar to the --format string you reference, but
perhaps this time I chose to do it manually and messed it up.  Anyways, will
write something to catch these mistakes in the future.

Andrew, there are a few changes incoming to the "mm: add file/shmem support to
MADV_COLLAPSE" series based off recent reviews (including another patch with
a commit description change).  Perhaps it's easier for me to send a new (v4)
series to mm-unstable to address these?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to
request these metadata changes.

Best,
Zach

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-09-18 22:21 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-09-18 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2022-07-27  0:02 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2022-07-27  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:23:29 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> In commit
>
>   1da6684b4930 ("selftests/vm: fix va_128TBswitch.sh permissions")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: 1afd01d43efc3 ("selftests/vm: Only run 128TBswitch with 5-level
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Subject has leading but no trailing parentheses
>   - Subject has leading but no trailing quotes
>
> Please do not split Fixes tags over more than one line.  Also keep all
> the commit message tags together at the end of the commit message.
>
> This commit is also missing a Signed-off-by from its committer.

Bah, thanks.  Fixed&rebased.

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-07-26 23:23 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-07-26 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2022-06-30 18:16   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2022-06-30 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Howlett

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:28:22 +0000 Liam Howlett <liam.howlett@oracle.com> wrote:

> * Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> [220629 23:37]:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In commit
> >
> >   500caa69a5a0 ("test_maple_tree: add test for spanning store to most of the tree")
> >
> > Fixes tag
> >
> >   Fixes: 1d3ae73e4e86 (test_maple_tree: Add test for spanning store to most of the tree)
> >
> > has these problem(s):
> >
> >   - Target SHA1 does not exist
> >
> > It seems to be self referential ...
>
> This is a result of an added test case then getting fixed by adding one
> more testcase to catch a corner case.
>
> What you put in the branch is correct.
>
> Testing was added: 502cefe29b10 "lib/test_maple_tree: add testing for maple tree"
> New test was added, fixing the above: 2197398d8d44 "test_maple_tree: add test for spanning store of entire range"
> One more test added, fixing the above: 500caa69a5a0 "test_maple_tree: add test for spanning store to most of the tree"

These IDs are meaningless until the patches are added to mm-stable -
they'll change every day.  I simply removed the hashes from the Fixes:
lines.

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-06-30 15:28 ` Liam Howlett
From: Liam Howlett @ 2022-06-30 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> [220629 23:37]:
> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   500caa69a5a0 ("test_maple_tree: add test for spanning store to most of the tree")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: 1d3ae73e4e86 (test_maple_tree: Add test for spanning store to most of the tree)
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Target SHA1 does not exist
>
> It seems to be self referential ...

This is a result of an added test case then getting fixed by adding one
more testcase to catch a corner case.

What you put in the branch is correct.

Testing was added: 502cefe29b10 "lib/test_maple_tree: add testing for maple tree"
New test was added, fixing the above: 2197398d8d44 "test_maple_tree: add test for spanning store of entire range"
One more test added, fixing the above: 500caa69a5a0 "test_maple_tree: add test for spanning store to most of the tree"

Thanks,
Liam

* Re: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-06-30 15:20 ` Liam Howlett
From: Liam Howlett @ 2022-06-30 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> [220629 23:32]:
> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   c0e9a439da6d ("mm/mmap: reorder validate_mm_mt() checks")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: de4583ed958b (mm: start tracking VMAs with maple tree)
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - Target SHA1 does not exist
>
> Maybe you meant
>
> Fixes: ade97595a8fb ("mm: start tracking VMAs with maple tree")

Yes, that looks right.

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-06-30  3:37 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-06-30  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2022-06-30  3:32 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-06-30  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton

@ 2022-05-25  0:36 ` Zi Yan
From: Zi Yan @ 2022-05-25  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On 24 May 2022, at 20:27, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
>   29a8af92b874 ("mm: fix a potential infinite loop in start_isolate_page_range()")
>
> Fixes tag
>
>   Fixes: b2c9e2fbba ("mm: make alloc_contig_range work at pageblock granulari=
>
> has these problem(s):
>
>   - SHA1 should be at least 12 digits long
>     This can be fixed for the future by setting core.abbrev to 12 (or
>     more) or (for git v2.11 or later) just making sure it is not set
>     (or set to "auto").

Got it. my git log always shows the full SHA1. I forgot 12 digits are
required.

>   - Subject has leading but no trailing parentheses
>   - Subject has leading but no trailing quotes
>   - Subject does not match target commit subject
>     Just use
> 	git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'
>
> Please do not split Fixes tags over more than one line.

I sent the patch with transferEncoding=quoted-printable, and the raw
message of that line shows:

Fixes: b2c9e2fbba ("mm: make alloc_contig_range work at pageblock granulari=
ty")

Should I not use that option for git send-email?

Please advise. Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Yan, Zi

* linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree
@ 2022-05-25  0:27 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-05-25  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2022-05-13  6:56 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-05-13  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)