* linux-next: manual merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree with the arm-soc tree
@ 2023-02-08 22:45 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-02-08 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann
	Linux Next Mailing List, Uwe Kleine-König

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree got conflicts in:

  drivers/media/platform/ti/davinci/vpbe_display.c
  drivers/media/platform/ti/davinci/vpbe_osd.c
  drivers/media/platform/ti/davinci/vpbe_venc.c

between commit:

  eeee69739353 ("media: davinci: remove vpbe support")

from the arm-soc tree and commits:

  eb78ca6a0496 ("media: ti/davinci: vpbe_osd: Drop empty platform remove function")
  5204a5dce04b ("media: ti/davinci: vpbe_venc: Drop empty platform remove function")
  0d3732fb1b20 ("media: ti: davinci: vpbe_display.c: return 0 instead of 'ret'.")

from the v4l-dvb-next tree.

I fixed it up (I removed the files) and can carry the fix as
necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any
non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
particularly complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree with the arm-soc tree
@ 2023-02-15 22:30 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-02-15 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:45:48 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Today's linux-next merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree got conflicts in:
>
>   drivers/media/platform/ti/davinci/vpbe_display.c
>   drivers/media/platform/ti/davinci/vpbe_osd.c
>   drivers/media/platform/ti/davinci/vpbe_venc.c
>
> between commit:
>
>   eeee69739353 ("media: davinci: remove vpbe support")
>
> from the arm-soc tree and commits:
>
>   eb78ca6a0496 ("media: ti/davinci: vpbe_osd: Drop empty platform remove function")
>   5204a5dce04b ("media: ti/davinci: vpbe_venc: Drop empty platform remove function")
>   0d3732fb1b20 ("media: ti: davinci: vpbe_display.c: return 0 instead of 'ret'.")
>
> from the v4l-dvb-next tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I removed the files) and can carry the fix as
> necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any
> non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
> when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
> cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
> particularly complex conflicts.

This is now a conflict between the arm-soc tree and the v4l-dvb tree.

--

@ 2023-02-15 22:29 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-02-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann

Hi all,

@ 2023-01-23  9:25   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2023-01-23  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Stephen Rothwell, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Olof Johansson

Hi Arnd,

On 23/01/2023 10:13, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 00:09, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today's linux-next merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree got conflicts in:
>>
>>   drivers/staging/media/Kconfig
>>   drivers/staging/media/Makefile
>>
>> between commit:
>>
>>   582603a95734 ("staging: media: remove davinci vpfe_capture driver")
>>
>> from the arm-soc tree and commit:
>>
>>   d2a8e92f0b41 ("media: vpfe_capture: remove deprecated davinci drivers")
>>
>> from the v4l-dvb-next tree.
>>
>> These 2 commits removed the same driver but caused a conflict due to
>> other changes to these files.
>>
>> I fixed it up (I just used the latter version of these files) and can
>> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
>> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
>> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
>> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
>> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
>
> I can drop my copy of the patch, but from the diffstat I see that
> there are a few other differences: Hans' version removes
> include/media/davinci/ccdc_types.h, which I forgot, while my
> version drops include/media/davinci/vpfe_capture.h (which
> is still included in the v4l-dvb-next tree, but not in mine)
> as well as the obsolete driver specific entries in MAINTAINERS
> and Documentation/userspace-api/ioctl/ioctl-number.rst.
>
> Hans, any idea what we should do? I'd tend to leave both
> patches where they are and let Linus figure out the merge.
> If I drop mine we need a follow-up patch to remove
> the include/media/davinci/vpfe_capture.h header, while
> dropping yours would likely produce the same conflicts
> against your tm6000/zr364xx removal patches.

I'd say, leave it to Linus. If anything remains of the davinci code
after Linus is done with it, then you and/or I can make follow-up patches.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree with the arm-soc tree
@ 2023-01-23  9:13 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2023-01-23  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Olof Johansson

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 00:09, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree got conflicts in:
>
>   drivers/staging/media/Kconfig
>   drivers/staging/media/Makefile
>
> between commit:
>
>   582603a95734 ("staging: media: remove davinci vpfe_capture driver")
>
> from the arm-soc tree and commit:
>
>   d2a8e92f0b41 ("media: vpfe_capture: remove deprecated davinci drivers")
>
> from the v4l-dvb-next tree.
>
> These 2 commits removed the same driver but caused a conflict due to
> other changes to these files.
>
> I fixed it up (I just used the latter version of these files) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

I can drop my copy of the patch, but from the diffstat I see that
there are a few other differences: Hans' version removes
include/media/davinci/ccdc_types.h, which I forgot, while my
version drops include/media/davinci/vpfe_capture.h (which
is still included in the v4l-dvb-next tree, but not in mine)
as well as the obsolete driver specific entries in MAINTAINERS
and Documentation/userspace-api/ioctl/ioctl-number.rst.

Hans, any idea what we should do? I'd tend to leave both
patches where they are and let Linus figure out the merge.
If I drop mine we need a follow-up patch to remove
the include/media/davinci/vpfe_capture.h header, while
dropping yours would likely produce the same conflicts
against your tm6000/zr364xx removal patches.

     Arnd

* linux-next: manual merge of the v4l-dvb-next tree with the arm-soc tree
@ 2023-01-22 23:09 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-01-22 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann