* linux-next: interesting merges in the arm-soc tree
@ 2012-01-03 23:47 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-01-03 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Vinod Koul, Linus
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi all,

I noticed that the arm-soc tree has merged in the v4l-dvb and the
slave-dma trees today.   Is there some good reason for this?  It fixes a
few conflicts (but that is not excuse) and there may be dependencies in a
driver on the v4l-dvb tree (but maybe that means that that driver should
be merged via the v4l-dvb tree - it looks like the "at91/drivers" is
based on the v4l-dvb tree, so probably doesn't depend on anything else on
the arm-soc tree).

If nothing else, are you sure that neither of those merged trees will
rebase?  You have also just inherited any bugs in those two trees.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* RE: linux-next: interesting merges in the arm-soc tree
@ 2012-01-04  0:58 ` Kukjin Kim
From: Kukjin Kim @ 2012-01-04  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stephen Rothwell', 'Olof Johansson',
	'Arnd Bergmann',
	linux-arm-kernel, 'Mauro Carvalho Chehab',
	'Vinod Koul', 'Linus'
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> I noticed that the arm-soc tree has merged in the v4l-dvb and the
> slave-dma trees today.   Is there some good reason for this?  It fixes a

I did slave-dma...

Yes, I have created branch for samsung dma on top of slave-dma tree. Because
samsung tree touched drivers/dma/pl330.c for samsung device tree then the
arch/arm/common/pl330.c file have been merged into drivers/dma/pl330.c with
touching samsung stuff and of course there are changes of
drivers/dma/pl330.c in slave-dma as well. So I did...

> few conflicts (but that is not excuse) and there may be dependencies in a
> driver on the v4l-dvb tree (but maybe that means that that driver should
> be merged via the v4l-dvb tree - it looks like the "at91/drivers" is
> based on the v4l-dvb tree, so probably doesn't depend on anything else on
> the arm-soc tree).
>
> If nothing else, are you sure that neither of those merged trees will
> rebase?  You have also just inherited any bugs in those two trees.

I know, Vinod knows I merged his tree for above situation so he will not
rebase that and Arnd will send that after merging of slave-dma into mainline
during merge window. So I think, we will not see any problem. :) But if
wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Kgene.
--
Kukjin Kim <kgene.kim@samsung.com>, Senior Engineer,
SW Solution Development Team, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

* Re: linux-next: interesting merges in the arm-soc tree
@ 2012-01-04  9:48 ` Nicolas Ferre
From: Nicolas Ferre @ 2012-01-04  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Vinod Koul, Linus, linux-next,
	linux-kernel, Guennadi Liakhovetski

* Re: linux-next: interesting merges in the arm-soc tree
@ 2012-01-04  9:50   ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-01-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Kukjin Kim, 'Stephen Rothwell', 'Olof Johansson',
	'Mauro Carvalho Chehab', 'Vinod Koul',
	'Linus',
	linux-next, linux-kernel, Nicolas Ferre

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> > few conflicts (but that is not excuse) and there may be dependencies in a
> > driver on the v4l-dvb tree (but maybe that means that that driver should
> > be merged via the v4l-dvb tree - it looks like the "at91/drivers" is
> > based on the v4l-dvb tree, so probably doesn't depend on anything else on
> > the arm-soc tree).
> >
> > If nothing else, are you sure that neither of those merged trees will
> > rebase?  You have also just inherited any bugs in those two trees.
>
> I know, Vinod knows I merged his tree for above situation so he will not
> rebase that and Arnd will send that after merging of slave-dma into mainline
> during merge window.

Right. The same is true for the other branch (depends/v4l) in next/drivers2.
The next/drivers2 branch will get submitted when all three of its dependencies
are merged.

Stephen, we have introduced a file arch/arm/arm-soc-for-next-contents.txt
to help us track those dependencies, and maybe it can also help you
understand our merge plans when you see potential problems like this.

Right now, there are 13 next/* branches that we plan to submit to Linus
in order. All of those are merged into the for-next branch that you pull,
and the contents.txt file tells you about the dependencies between those
branches and to external branches.

My understanding about the at91 changes from Nicolas Ferre is that they
depend on both the v4l and previous arm-soc changesets, so it was decided
to merge those through arm-soc after the v4l branch.

	Arnd