* linux-next: toolchain version for mips builds, esp. cavium
@ 2012-03-09 22:01 Paul Gortmaker
From: Paul Gortmaker @ 2012-03-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: david.daney, ralf, linux-next

Hi Stephen,

The linux-next builds for cavium defconfig have been failing for
quite some time now, since it tries to use gcc-4.2 and the option
for the octeon didn't appear until gcc-4.4 ("-march=octeon")

http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/5509/

I'm not sure there is any real "best" choice (hence I cc'd David
and Ralf) but I just tested by grabbing the toolchain from here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/4.5.2/

and it seems fine with building the cavium.  I'm not sure if the
kisskb does per-target toolchain, or needs it per-arch, but I would
suspect that the above is fine for all of mips anyway.

What is the process for getting a different toolchain building the
cavium in linux-next?

Thanks,
Paul.

* Re: linux-next: toolchain version for mips builds, esp. cavium
@ 2012-03-09 22:38 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-03-09 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gortmaker; +Cc: david.daney, ralf, linux-next, tony

Hi Paul,

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:01:07 -0500 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:

> The linux-next builds for cavium defconfig have been failing for
> quite some time now, since it tries to use gcc-4.2 and the option
> for the octeon didn't appear until gcc-4.4 ("-march=octeon")

Thanks for working that out.

> What is the process for getting a different toolchain building the
> cavium in linux-next?

We are actually in the process of replacing all our toolchains with newer
ones, but it just takes a bit of time between our "real" work.  (The
tricky part is that the current kisskb build server is PowerPC based.)
Hopefully we will have this sorted out soon.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next: toolchain version for mips builds, esp. cavium
@ 2012-03-09 22:44 ` David Daney
From: David Daney @ 2012-03-09 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gortmaker; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, ralf, linux-next

On 03/09/2012 02:01 PM, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> The linux-next builds for cavium defconfig have been failing for
> quite some time now, since it tries to use gcc-4.2 and the option
> for the octeon didn't appear until gcc-4.4 ("-march=octeon")
>
> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/5509/
>
> I'm not sure there is any real "best" choice (hence I cc'd David
> and Ralf) but I just tested by grabbing the toolchain from here:

As you note, The OCTEON kernel build currently requires -march=octeon,
this is not gratuitous.  There is some asm code in there that requires
OCTEON support in the toolchain.  So currently an attempt to use a
toolchain that doesn't support -march=octeon will fail.

So there are a couple of choices:

1) Use a modern toolchain.

2) Figure out how to patch the kernel such that a modern toolchain is
not needed.

I don't really plan on working on #2.

David Daney