* linux-next fixes
@ 2013-11-01  9:36 Thierry Reding
From: Thierry Reding @ 2013-11-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, Stephen Warren, Olof Johansson

Hi Stephen,

There have been some discussions lately revolving around the topic of
linux-next fixes. That is, commits that people come up with over the
course of a day to fix issues found in the latest linux-next trees.

It's a fact that many people rely on linux-next for everyday work, so
whenever things break in linux-next a lot of people end up chasing the
same bugs and posting the same patches (or not posting them for that
matter).

A lot of developer time is wasted that way, so I originally proposed
that we could set up a separate linux-next-fixes tree where we collect
patches of interest. I volunteer to do that, since, well, I'm doing it
anyway as part of my daily routine. Timezone-wise it also fits pretty
well, since I usually start my day sometime around when you publish
linux-next.

If we can establish a canonical location where such fixes are
accumulated, people could fetch those at the same time they fetch the
linux-next tree and automatically get fixes.

One idea was to carry those fixes within the linux-next tree, within
separate tags (next-YYYYMMDD-fixes). If you don't feel comfortable with
that I suppose we could also set up a separate repository. It that case
I think it would still make sense to run it as part of the "Linux Next
Group" on kernel.org.

What do you think? If it's something you'd be okay with I can contact
the administrators to have me added to the linux-next group.

Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next fixes
@ 2013-11-01 15:09 ` Randy Dunlap
       [not found]   ` <CAOesGMivU0rz+HgA7HjJ4trdJ5QMu2mbHSpLJQ0PvGOtQR6iNQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2013-11-01 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Reding, Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: linux-next, Stephen Warren, Olof Johansson

On 11/01/13 02:36, Thierry Reding wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> There have been some discussions lately revolving around the topic of
> linux-next fixes. That is, commits that people come up with over the
> course of a day to fix issues found in the latest linux-next trees.
>
> It's a fact that many people rely on linux-next for everyday work, so
> whenever things break in linux-next a lot of people end up chasing the
> same bugs and posting the same patches (or not posting them for that
> matter).
>
> A lot of developer time is wasted that way, so I originally proposed
> that we could set up a separate linux-next-fixes tree where we collect
> patches of interest. I volunteer to do that, since, well, I'm doing it
> anyway as part of my daily routine. Timezone-wise it also fits pretty
> well, since I usually start my day sometime around when you publish
> linux-next.
>
> If we can establish a canonical location where such fixes are
> accumulated, people could fetch those at the same time they fetch the
> linux-next tree and automatically get fixes.

Stephen has had a location for linux-next fixes for quite some time now --
in the linux-next tree itself.

Apparently Olof objected to this and you agreed with him.
and I object to not having the fixes in the linux-next tree.
Maybe Stephen can work it out.  :)

--
~Randy

* Re: linux-next fixes
@ 2013-11-04  8:34   ` Thierry Reding
       [not found]   ` <CAOesGMivU0rz+HgA7HjJ4trdJ5QMu2mbHSpLJQ0PvGOtQR6iNQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thierry Reding @ 2013-11-04  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-next, Stephen Warren, Olof Johansson

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 08:09:57AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 11/01/13 02:36, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > There have been some discussions lately revolving around the topic of
> > linux-next fixes. That is, commits that people come up with over the
> > course of a day to fix issues found in the latest linux-next trees.
> >
> > It's a fact that many people rely on linux-next for everyday work, so
> > whenever things break in linux-next a lot of people end up chasing the
> > same bugs and posting the same patches (or not posting them for that
> > matter).
> >
> > A lot of developer time is wasted that way, so I originally proposed
> > that we could set up a separate linux-next-fixes tree where we collect
> > patches of interest. I volunteer to do that, since, well, I'm doing it
> > anyway as part of my daily routine. Timezone-wise it also fits pretty
> > well, since I usually start my day sometime around when you publish
> > linux-next.
> >
> > If we can establish a canonical location where such fixes are
> > accumulated, people could fetch those at the same time they fetch the
> > linux-next tree and automatically get fixes.
>
> Stephen has had a location for linux-next fixes for quite some time now --
> in the linux-next tree itself.
>
> Apparently Olof objected to this and you agreed with him.
> and I object to not having the fixes in the linux-next tree.

What I did agree to was a compromise. I do see some sense in not
carrying all the fixes in linux-next so that the actual state of
brokenness is reflected.

But I also think that for everyone using linux-next for daily work it
makes sense to have these patches in a central location in order to
minimize duplicate work.

> Maybe Stephen can work it out.  :)

If nobody wants to have this in linux-next itself, then I still plan on
maintaining a tree for myself so that people that work in the same areas
in a later timezone don't have to duplicate all of that.

@ 2013-11-04  8:38     ` Thierry Reding
From: Thierry Reding @ 2013-11-04  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olof Johansson; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, Stephen Warren, linux-next, Stephen Rothwell