* Re: of: Make OF_DYNAMIC user selectable
@ 2014-07-27 23:35 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2014-07-27 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Grant,

I noticed the subject commit in the devicetree tree in linux-next today.
The commit message gives us no idea why we would want to make this
change.  We already have lots of user selectable CONFIG_ options ... do
we really need this one as well?

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: of: Make OF_DYNAMIC user selectable
@ 2014-07-27 23:51 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2014-07-27 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Grant Likely, linux-next, linux-kernel

Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> writes:

> Hi Grant,
>
> I noticed the subject commit in the devicetree tree in linux-next today.
> The commit message gives us no idea why we would want to make this
> change.  We already have lots of user selectable CONFIG_ options ... do
> we really need this one as well?

You say that like user-selectable options are somehow evil.  The kernel
is not Gnome.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@mansr.com

* Re: of: Make OF_DYNAMIC user selectable
@ 2014-08-11 14:28 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2014-08-11 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:35:26 +1000, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> I noticed the subject commit in the devicetree tree in linux-next today.
> The commit message gives us no idea why we would want to make this
> change.  We already have lots of user selectable CONFIG_ options ... do
> we really need this one as well?

It was a mistake. That was a patch added for private testing that
accidentally made it out into my public tree. I'm not sending it to
Linus. Code depending on OF_DYNAMIC needs to select it.

g.