linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* What is proper kernel tree to develop against?
@ 2011-06-08 18:41 Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2011-06-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

What kernel tree should I use to develop NFS & RPC patches
for possible upstream acceptance?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* Re: What is proper kernel tree to develop against?
@ 2011-06-08 18:52 ` Jim Rees
From: Jim Rees @ 2011-06-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear; +Cc: linux-nfs

Ben Greear wrote:

  What kernel tree should I use to develop NFS & RPC patches
  for possible upstream acceptance?

I think for the stuff you're doing it would just be the upstream git tree at
kernel.org.  Note that nfs-utils is separate.

Has anyone pointed you to the wiki?  I think it answers many of these
questions, although it seems heavily slanted towards pnfs.

http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

* Re: What is proper kernel tree to develop against?
@ 2011-06-08 19:03   ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2011-06-08 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Rees; +Cc: Ben Greear, linux-nfs

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:52:19PM -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>
>   What kernel tree should I use to develop NFS & RPC patches
>   for possible upstream acceptance?
>
> I think for the stuff you're doing it would just be the upstream git tree at
> kernel.org.  Note that nfs-utils is separate.
>
> Has anyone pointed you to the wiki?  I think it answers many of these
> questions, although it seems heavily slanted towards pnfs.
>
> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It would be nice to reorganize the wiki, especially that top page.

I'd kind of like linux-nfs.org to just point to some page on the wiki
some day.

--b.

* Re: What is proper kernel tree to develop against?
@ 2011-06-08 19:49     ` Weston Andros Adamson
From: Weston Andros Adamson @ 2011-06-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: Jim Rees, Ben Greear, linux-nfs

On Jun 8, 2011, at 3:03 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:52:19PM -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
>> Ben Greear wrote:
>>
>>  What kernel tree should I use to develop NFS & RPC patches
>>  for possible upstream acceptance?
>>
>> I think for the stuff you're doing it would just be the upstream git tree at
>> kernel.org.  Note that nfs-utils is separate.
>>
>> Has anyone pointed you to the wiki?  I think it answers many of these
>> questions, although it seems heavily slanted towards pnfs.
>>
>> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> It would be nice to reorganize the wiki, especially that top page.
>
> I'd kind of like linux-nfs.org to just point to some page on the wiki
> some day.

I've actually signed up to revamp linux-nfs.org.  I'll begin work on that very soon (after bakeathon and my vacation).

-dros

* Re: What is proper kernel tree to develop against?
@ 2011-06-08 20:13       ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2011-06-08 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weston Andros Adamson; +Cc: Jim Rees, Ben Greear, linux-nfs

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 03:49:38PM -0400, Weston Andros Adamson wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 3:03 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:52:19PM -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
> >> Ben Greear wrote:
> >>
> >>  What kernel tree should I use to develop NFS & RPC patches
> >>  for possible upstream acceptance?
> >>
> >> I think for the stuff you're doing it would just be the upstream git tree at
> >> kernel.org.  Note that nfs-utils is separate.
> >>
> >> Has anyone pointed you to the wiki?  I think it answers many of these
> >> questions, although it seems heavily slanted towards pnfs.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > It would be nice to reorganize the wiki, especially that top page.
> >
> > I'd kind of like linux-nfs.org to just point to some page on the wiki
> > some day.
>
> I've actually signed up to revamp linux-nfs.org.  I'll begin work on that very soon (after bakeathon and my vacation).

OK, good!

--b.