linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* multiple service identities for svcgssd
@ 2011-07-13 16:03 Benjamin Coddington
From: Benjamin Coddington @ 2011-07-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

I am working on a linux NFS cluster that requires a single svcgssd to establish contexts under multiple service names.

In this scenario, svcgssd can be called with "-n" so that it acquires creds at context creation.  After running this way I found svcgssd opens a file to the kerberos replay cache for every context/cred, eventually reaching ulimit.  For a busy cluster with many different client-user pairs that becomes a problem.  I am lost in the gss_krb5 code, but suspect that the kerberos code leaks credentials in this configuration.

Ondrej Palkovsky submitted a patch to specify multiple identities and acquire creds up-front using multiples of "-h": http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfsv4&m=123685185324902&w=2

I've updated that work to be current to nfs-utils-1.2.3 which solves our immediate problem, and it works well -- but running svcgssd with '-n' is still going to leak file handles to the replay cache.  What's the best way to fix this?  Can the created-on-the-fly cred can be re-used for subsequent contexts?

Ben

* Re: multiple service identities for svcgssd
@ 2011-07-13 17:10 ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2011-07-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Coddington; +Cc: linux-nfs

On 07/13/2011 12:03 PM, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> I am working on a linux NFS cluster that requires a single svcgssd to establish contexts under multiple service names.
>
> In this scenario, svcgssd can be called with "-n" so that it acquires creds at context creation.  After running this way I found svcgssd opens a file to the kerberos replay cache for every context/cred, eventually reaching ulimit.  For a busy cluster with many different client-user pairs that becomes a problem.  I am lost in the gss_krb5 code, but suspect that the kerberos code leaks credentials in this configuration.
>
> Ondrej Palkovsky submitted a patch to specify multiple identities and acquire creds up-front using multiples of "-h": http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfsv4&m=123685185324902&w=2
>
> I've updated that work to be current to nfs-utils-1.2.3 which solves our immediate problem, and it works well
Please go a head are repost the updated patch... Also it good if there was a man page
updated was well...

tia,

steved.

* Re: multiple service identities for svcgssd
@ 2011-07-13 17:35 ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2011-07-13 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Coddington; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:03:03PM -0400, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> I am working on a linux NFS cluster that requires a single svcgssd to establish contexts under multiple service names.
>
> In this scenario, svcgssd can be called with "-n" so that it acquires creds at context creation.  After running this way I found svcgssd opens a file to the kerberos replay cache for every context/cred, eventually reaching ulimit.  For a busy cluster with many different client-user pairs that becomes a problem.  I am lost in the gss_krb5 code, but suspect that the kerberos code leaks credentials in this configuration.
>
> Ondrej Palkovsky submitted a patch to specify multiple identities and acquire creds up-front using multiples of "-h": http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfsv4&m=123685185324902&w=2
>
> I've updated that work to be current to nfs-utils-1.2.3 which solves our immediate problem, and it works well -- but running svcgssd with '-n' is still going to leak file handles to the replay cache.  What's the best way to fix this?  Can the created-on-the-fly cred can be re-used for subsequent contexts?

Sounds like a likely kerberos bug as well--may be use asking the
kerberos folks?

--b.

* Re: multiple service identities for svcgssd
@ 2011-07-20 12:56   ` Benjamin Coddington
From: Benjamin Coddington @ 2011-07-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Jul 13, 2011, at 1:35 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:03:03PM -0400, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
>> I am working on a linux NFS cluster that requires a single svcgssd to establish contexts under multiple service names.
>>
>> In this scenario, svcgssd can be called with "-n" so that it acquires creds at context creation.  After running this way I found svcgssd opens a file to the kerberos replay cache for every context/cred, eventually reaching ulimit.  For a busy cluster with many different client-user pairs that becomes a problem.  I am lost in the gss_krb5 code, but suspect that the kerberos code leaks credentials in this configuration.
>>
>> Ondrej Palkovsky submitted a patch to specify multiple identities and acquire creds up-front using multiples of "-h": http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfsv4&m=123685185324902&w=2
>>
>> I've updated that work to be current to nfs-utils-1.2.3 which solves our immediate problem, and it works well -- but running svcgssd with '-n' is still going to leak file handles to the replay cache.  What's the best way to fix this?  Can the created-on-the-fly cred can be re-used for subsequent contexts?
>
> Sounds like a likely kerberos bug as well--may be use asking the
> kerberos folks?
>
> --b.

It is a kerberos bug where the context is not cleaned up in gss_export_lucid_sec_context(), so svcgssd leaks a bit.  Here's a reference to the kerberos problem:  http://marc.info/?t=131068390400045&r=1&w=2

Thank you for the suggestion.

@ 2011-07-20 13:41     ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2011-07-20 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Coddington; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 08:56:47AM -0400, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2011, at 1:35 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:03:03PM -0400, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> >> I am working on a linux NFS cluster that requires a single svcgssd to establish contexts under multiple service names.
> >>
> >> In this scenario, svcgssd can be called with "-n" so that it acquires creds at context creation.  After running this way I found svcgssd opens a file to the kerberos replay cache for every context/cred, eventually reaching ulimit.  For a busy cluster with many different client-user pairs that becomes a problem.  I am lost in the gss_krb5 code, but suspect that the kerberos code leaks credentials in this configuration.
> >>
> >> Ondrej Palkovsky submitted a patch to specify multiple identities and acquire creds up-front using multiples of "-h": http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfsv4&m=123685185324902&w=2
> >>
> >> I've updated that work to be current to nfs-utils-1.2.3 which solves our immediate problem, and it works well -- but running svcgssd with '-n' is still going to leak file handles to the replay cache.  What's the best way to fix this?  Can the created-on-the-fly cred can be re-used for subsequent contexts?
> >
> > Sounds like a likely kerberos bug as well--may be use asking the
> > kerberos folks?
> >
> > --b.
>
> It is a kerberos bug where the context is not cleaned up in gss_export_lucid_sec_context(), so svcgssd leaks a bit.  Here's a reference to the kerberos problem:  http://marc.info/?t=131068390400045&r=1&w=2

Good, thanks for following up.

--b.