linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Linux NFS v4.1 server support for dynamic slot allocation?
@ 2019-02-18 21:46 Chris Tracy
From: Chris Tracy @ 2019-02-18 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Hello,

 	Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious, but I'm curious
whatever happened to the patch series from late 2012 that added dynamic
v4.1 session slot allocation support to nfsd:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg34390.html

The corresponding nfs client patches were integrated, but the nfsd series
seems to have been left out due to release timing:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg34505.html

However, they don't seem to ever have been integrated or discussed again.
Were there other issues that prevented its inclusion in the intervening
time?

 	Alternatively, is there some admin-tweakable knob for controlling
the number of slots available per-session on the NFS v4.1 server
(nfsd.ko), similar to the 'max_session_slots' client-side parameter for
nfs.ko?

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/fs/nfs?id=ef159e9177cc5a09e6174796dde0b2d243ddf28b

 	I ask because I'm currently standing up a (very) modest HPC
cluster PoC (1 server, 8 client nodes, all 10Gbit, all running CentOS 7.6)
and figured that was a good enough excuse to finally move away from NFS v3
and investigate NFS v4.x.  However, initial performance testing showed
that while NFS v4.0 was essentially identical to v3, NFS v4.2 (and v4.1)
were around 25% slower.

 	Looking at the traffic in wireshark, I see that in CREATE_SESSION,
the client sets ca_maxrequests to 64 (consistent with the value of
'max_session_slots') but the server always replies with a value of 10 for
ca_maxreqests.  This seems to be the source of the performance issue,
since if I fallback to v4.0 or v3, but set nfsd to use only 10 threads in
nfs.conf, I get roughly equivalent performance to v4.2.

 	Looking at the code (both in CentOS's 3.10.0-957.5.1.el7.x86_64
and in the 4.20.8 mainline), it seems the value that would need to change
is the preprocessor define NFSD_CACHE_SIZE_SLOTS_PER_SESSION.  This is
fixed at 32, and while it's a bit more complex than this, the code in
nfs4_get_drc_mem (fs/nfsd/nfs4state.c) basically sets the per-client
session slot limit to '(int)(32/3)' which is where the '10' comes from.

 	This brings me back to the patch series mentioned above as this
one from it:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1819971/

seems to allow the per-session limit to dynamically increase at least all
the way to 32. (instead of being fixed at a max of 10)

 	Is there something else I've missed somewhere that allows
adjusting the server-side session slot limit to be more than 10 without
having to compile a custom version of nfsd.ko?

 	Thanks,

 	Chris

Chris Tracy
System/Network Administrator