linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Why doesn't NFSv3 implement LOOKUPP?
@ 2019-02-13  8:41 Yihao Wu
From: Yihao Wu @ 2019-02-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs; +Cc: jlayton

Hi all,

When looking into "Failures: generic/467" given by xfstests, I found that NFSv3
didn't implement LOOKUPP. I know that this might be by design. But LOOKUPP was
meant to replace ".." in NFSv3, right?

xfstests's generic/467 test case performs the following sequence of operations.

name_to_handle -> drop_caches -> open_by_handle

Dentry becomes disconnected due to drop_caches. NFSv3 doesn't support LOOKUPP.
So when it performs open_by_handle to an directory, this test case fails.

I did some small experiment by implementing LOOKUPP for NFSv3. The way I tried
is to merely pass ".." to nfs3_proc_lookup. And it seems to work. At least it's
a workaround for xfstests.

I'm curious whether this sort of simulation of LOOKUPP will work or make sense.

Thanks,
Yihao Wu