linux-numa.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Official git repo for numactl (any other VCS would be fine as well)
@ 2014-07-22 22:01 Filipe Brandenburger
From: Filipe Brandenburger @ 2014-07-22 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Wickman; +Cc: linux-numa

Hi Cliff,

Any chance to set up an official git repository for the numactl source code?

This was asked before but not sure it was set up...
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.numa/704

Looking at numactl-2.0.10-rc1.tar.gz, there are some minor issues with
the distribution, such as:
- an empty "numastat" and a x86_64 binary "test/move_pages" are
included in the tarball
- many source code files are marked executable

Furthermore, a central git repository would make it easy to distribute
a central .gitignore file which would make it easier to develop using
git.

I also have some improvements to the Makefile by cleaning up temporary
files used for detecting features (such as "threadtest", "empty.c" and
"empty.o") and renaming second use of $(THREAD_SUPPORT) to
$(TREE_VECTORIZE_SUPPORT) since that's what that feature seems to be
detecting...

I'd be happy to help set up a git repository, except that I don't
really have access to the code history, so I guess the best I could do
is build it from the unpacked sources present in old_versions/ of the
download FTP site, which would be fairly coarse... If you have better
tracking of the history, do you think it would be worth exposing it?

Thanks!
Filipe

* Re: Official git repo for numactl (any other VCS would be fine as well)
@ 2014-07-22 23:48 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2014-07-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipe Brandenburger; +Cc: Cliff Wickman, linux-numa

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 03:01:38PM -0700, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi Cliff,
>
> Any chance to set up an official git repository for the numactl source code?

Yes that would be nice.
-Andi

* Re: Official git repo for numactl (any other VCS would be fine as well)
@ 2014-07-23 12:47 ` Cliff Wickman
From: Cliff Wickman @ 2014-07-23 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipe Brandenburger; +Cc: linux-numa

Hi Filipe, (and Andi)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 03:01:38PM -0700, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi Cliff,
>
> Any chance to set up an official git repository for the numactl source code?
I'm not opposed to it, it's just not high on my list.  We've only had 3
patches in the past year.

> This was asked before but not sure it was set up...
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.numa/704
>
> Looking at numactl-2.0.10-rc1.tar.gz, there are some minor issues with
> the distribution, such as:
> - an empty "numastat" and a x86_64 binary "test/move_pages" are
> included in the tarball
> - many source code files are marked executable
I cleaned those up, thanks.

> Furthermore, a central git repository would make it easy to distribute
> a central .gitignore file which would make it easier to develop using
> git.
>
> I also have some improvements to the Makefile by cleaning up temporary
> files used for detecting features (such as "threadtest", "empty.c" and
> "empty.o") and renaming second use of $(THREAD_SUPPORT) to
> $(TREE_VECTORIZE_SUPPORT) since that's what that feature seems to be
> detecting...
>
> I'd be happy to help set up a git repository, except that I don't
> really have access to the code history,
All the patches are in a tarball in the tarball: patches.tar.gz

> so I guess the best I could do
> is build it from the unpacked sources present in old_versions/ of the
> download FTP site, which would be fairly coarse... If you have better
> tracking of the history, do you think it would be worth exposing it?
>
> Thanks!
> Filipe

-Cliff
--
Cliff Wickman
SGI

* Re: Official git repo for numactl (any other VCS would be fine as well)
@ 2014-07-23 22:57   ` Filipe Brandenburger
From: Filipe Brandenburger @ 2014-07-23 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Wickman; +Cc: linux-numa, Andi Kleen

Hi Cliff and Andi,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Cliff Wickman <cpw@sgi.com> wrote:
>> Any chance to set up an official git repository for the numactl source code?
>
> I'm not opposed to it, it's just not high on my list.  We've only had 3
> patches in the past year.
[...]
>> I'd be happy to help set up a git repository, except that I don't
>> really have access to the code history,
>
> All the patches are in a tarball in the tarball: patches.tar.gz

Ok I spent some time and managed to recreate the history from those
patches and the archives in the download FTP site into a git
repository. I managed to spot the commits where releases were created
and I added commits to those.

The resulting repository can be found here:
https://github.com/filbranden/numactl

Some caveats about applying the patches:
- History before 1.0.2 is only from the FTP archives, so I only stored
the imports.
- Release 1.0.3 (which unpacks to 1.0.3-rc2) did not match a patch
exactly, I believe a patch was reworked after the release, I decided
to skip this release and go straight to 2.0.0
- When not available from the patch, I tried to guess timestamps based
on the date of the patch (or when unpacking tarballs, the timestamp of
the "." directory inside the tarball.)
- In most cases I could guess the author of the patch, when I could
not I used either Andi or Cliff, whoever was the maintainer at the
time.
- (Patch 1210_bg_numastat did not mention author, I guessed this was
the same bg from 1407_bg_numactl_show and assigned it to Bill Gray.)
- (Patch 0811_dr_compat had an e-mail conversation with Daniel
[Gollub] but there was no e-mail address so I attributed it to Cliff.)
- Release 2.0.6 included patch 1010_cw_numa_get_run_node_mask which
was later reverted, I did apply it and later reverted it in git to
reproduce that case.

Furthermore:
- I kept the permissions of the files sane, *.c, *.h, Makefile,
versions.ldscript, man pages, etc., were kept non-executable even when
at some point they were shipped with executable bit set.
- I kept the "head" file and the "test/move_pages" binary out of the
repository since I believe they should never have been distributed in
the first place.
- I also did not keep patches.tar.gz in the git archive since the git
history supplements it.

There are two branches, "imports" is the straight import of each
tarball while "master" goes through the patches starting at release
1.0.2.

There are tags for all the releases (except for 1.0.3-rc2 as mentioned above.)

Please take a look and let me know what you think and if you'd like me
to do some adjustments.

If you'd like to move it to somewhere more official (e.g. under
git.kernel.org or somewhere in oss.sgi.com) you should feel free to do
it, that's why I did this. (The main reason I posted it to GitHub was
to make it easy to share it here.)

Cheers!

@ 2014-07-23 23:11     ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2014-07-23 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipe Brandenburger; +Cc: Cliff Wickman, linux-numa, Andi Kleen

> Ok I spent some time and managed to recreate the history from those
> patches and the archives in the download FTP site into a git
> repository. I managed to spot the commits where releases were created
> and I added commits to those.
>
> The resulting repository can be found here:
> https://github.com/filbranden/numactl

Thanks for doing that. Looks good to me from a quick look.

-Andi