linux-nvdimm.lists.01.org archive mirror
* [HELP] mmap fsdax mode pmem to userland with writethrough
@ 2020-12-14 10:44 Wang Jianchao
From: Wang Jianchao @ 2020-12-14 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvdimm

Hi list

We are trying to mmap the file in xfs-dax to userland with writethrough mode,
hope to avoid bandwidth and latency cause by write-allocate in writeback mode
and we can still use the original userland application code w/o using NTstore.

We add following code in the mmap callback of xfs,

vma->vm_page_prot = pgprot_writethrough(vma->vm_page_prot);

But it seems to not work. When I use pcm-memory to check the bandwidth of PMM,
PMM read BW is still there which is nearly equal with PMM write. Even I use
pgprot_noncached, it still not work.

What should I do to implement the writethrough mapping ?

Thanks a million for any help.

Jianchao

* Re: [HELP] mmap fsdax mode pmem to userland with writethrough
@ 2020-12-15  8:34 ` Wang Jianchao
From: Wang Jianchao @ 2020-12-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvdimm

It was figured out that the track_pfn_insert changed the pgprot.
I tried two ways to workaround it
(1) change the pte in the fault callback directly
(2) add a helper interface of devm_memremap_pages that has a pgprot.

The writethrough mmap seems to success but the final performance is
really bad, just 20M/s per thread....