linux-nvme.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* How to submit a patch to linux-nvme
@ 2021-04-14 19:16 Belanger, Martin
From: Belanger, Martin @ 2021-04-14 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme

I would like to add a new functionality to the linux-nvme driver. I read the "submitting-patches" document (https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/submitting-patches.html), but I have a few questions.

The document recommends asking maintainers which tree to use. The file "linux/MAINTAINERS" shows that the tree "git://git.infradead.org/nvme.git" exists. Is that what I should use to make my changes or should I use the mainline tree "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git"?

It is my understanding that patches should be submitted to this email list. Is that the only thing I need to do, or should I also submit a pull request?

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: How to submit a patch to linux-nvme
@ 2021-04-14 19:56 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2021-04-14 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Belanger, Martin; +Cc: linux-nvme

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 07:16:42PM +0000, Belanger, Martin wrote:
> I would like to add a new functionality to the linux-nvme driver. I read the "submitting-patches" document (https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/submitting-patches.html), but I have a few questions.
>
> The document recommends asking maintainers which tree to use. The file "linux/MAINTAINERS" shows that the tree "git://git.infradead.org/nvme.git" exists. Is that what I should use to make my changes or should I use the mainline tree "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git"?

As long as your patch series is isolated to the nvme subsystem, you
should develop nvme patches against the nvme tree,
git.infradead.org/nvme.git, with the branch that targets the desired
kernel release.

Our branch naming convention is 'nvme-X.Y', where X.Y represent the
targeted kernel version (currently nvme-5.13).

New features should always be based on the newest kernel release target.
Bug fixes may target the current RC kernel if we're outside the merge
window.

The 'master' branch is not our development branch, so don't use that for
anything.

> It is my understanding that patches should be submitted to this email list. Is that the only thing I need to do, or should I also submit a pull request?

Don't send pull requests please. Just email the patches. There are
various tools that can facilitate the process, but 'git format-patch'
and 'git send-email' will ensure patches are sent correctly for mailing
list consumption.