Linux-NVME Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* NVMe/IB support
@ 2020-02-07 12:43 Talker Alex
  2020-02-08  1:39 ` Sagi Grimberg
  2020-02-19 15:20 ` Christoph Hellwig
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Talker Alex @ 2020-02-07 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme

Hi,

is there really exist NVMe/IB solutions?
I noticed that ConfigFS in target driver permit InfiniBand address type
but it's no use for any driver, except maybe as a referral.

Does anyone has an use-case for it or this one can be safely ignored for now?
And if you have a production referral example, please be so kind as to share it(the ConfigFS values).

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-07 12:43 NVMe/IB support Talker Alex
@ 2020-02-08  1:39 ` Sagi Grimberg
  2020-02-19 15:20 ` Christoph Hellwig
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Sagi Grimberg @ 2020-02-08  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talker Alex, linux-nvme


> Hi,
> 
> is there really exist NVMe/IB solutions?

No, it isn't.

> I noticed that ConfigFS in target driver permit InfiniBand address type
> but it's no use for any driver, except maybe as a referral.
> 
> Does anyone has an use-case for it or this one can be safely ignored for now?

Unless you are interested in adding support for it, you can safely
ignore it.

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-07 12:43 NVMe/IB support Talker Alex
  2020-02-08  1:39 ` Sagi Grimberg
@ 2020-02-19 15:20 ` Christoph Hellwig
  2020-02-20 14:13   ` Max Gurtovoy
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2020-02-19 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talker Alex; +Cc: linux-nvme

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 03:43:22PM +0300, Talker Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> is there really exist NVMe/IB solutions?

All the original NVMeoF development was done on IB, just using the
RDMA/CM IP based addressing.

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-19 15:20 ` Christoph Hellwig
@ 2020-02-20 14:13   ` Max Gurtovoy
  2020-02-20 14:25     ` Christoph Hellwig
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Max Gurtovoy @ 2020-02-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, Talker Alex; +Cc: linux-nvme


On 2/19/2020 5:20 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 03:43:22PM +0300, Talker Alex wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there really exist NVMe/IB solutions?
> All the original NVMeoF development was done on IB, just using the
> RDMA/CM IP based addressing.

I guess we can consider adding this code one day, for users that can't 
use RDMA/CM (SRP supports both options).

>
> _______________________________________________
> linux-nvme mailing list
> linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.infradead.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Flinux-nvme&data=02%7C01%7Cmaxg%40mellanox.com%7C6a85529d21224f373a3708d7b54f5253%7Ca652971c7d2e4d9ba6a4d149256f461b%7C0%7C0%7C637177224606112903&sdata=QpJWMIFVoKqlWZLdlNcbvEnRS2RlLGmTzIiVNoB4ueA%3D&reserved=0

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-20 14:13   ` Max Gurtovoy
@ 2020-02-20 14:25     ` Christoph Hellwig
  2020-02-20 15:16       ` Max Gurtovoy
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2020-02-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Gurtovoy; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Talker Alex, linux-nvme

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 04:13:07PM +0200, Max Gurtovoy wrote:
> 
> On 2/19/2020 5:20 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 03:43:22PM +0300, Talker Alex wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 
> > > is there really exist NVMe/IB solutions?
> > All the original NVMeoF development was done on IB, just using the
> > RDMA/CM IP based addressing.
> 
> I guess we can consider adding this code one day, for users that can't use
> RDMA/CM (SRP supports both options).

The NVMeOF RDMA transport requires RDMA/CM.  But RDMA/CM can also use
IB addressing, which should be easy enough to implement if someone
cares.

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-20 14:25     ` Christoph Hellwig
@ 2020-02-20 15:16       ` Max Gurtovoy
  2020-02-20 15:33         ` Christoph Hellwig
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Max Gurtovoy @ 2020-02-20 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: Talker Alex, linux-nvme


On 2/20/2020 4:25 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 04:13:07PM +0200, Max Gurtovoy wrote:
>> On 2/19/2020 5:20 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>>> On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 03:43:22PM +0300, Talker Alex wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> is there really exist NVMe/IB solutions?
>>> All the original NVMeoF development was done on IB, just using the
>>> RDMA/CM IP based addressing.
>> I guess we can consider adding this code one day, for users that can't use
>> RDMA/CM (SRP supports both options).
> The NVMeOF RDMA transport requires RDMA/CM.  But RDMA/CM can also use
> IB addressing, which should be easy enough to implement if someone
> cares.

Are you saying that if one would like to use ADRFAM == AF_IB, he must 
have RDMA/CM stack that support IB addressing ?

seems little bit weird requirement...


_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-20 15:16       ` Max Gurtovoy
@ 2020-02-20 15:33         ` Christoph Hellwig
  2020-02-20 16:29           ` Sagi Grimberg
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2020-02-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Gurtovoy; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Talker Alex, linux-nvme

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 05:16:35PM +0200, Max Gurtovoy wrote:
> Are you saying that if one would like to use ADRFAM == AF_IB, he must have
> RDMA/CM stack that support IB addressing ?

Yes.

> seems little bit weird requirement...

NVMeoF/RDMA is specified to use RDMA/CM for connection management.
There is no reason we could not also specify it on raw IB, but someone
would have to do the work and specify a binding for it.

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: NVMe/IB support
  2020-02-20 15:33         ` Christoph Hellwig
@ 2020-02-20 16:29           ` Sagi Grimberg
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Sagi Grimberg @ 2020-02-20 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, Max Gurtovoy; +Cc: Talker Alex, linux-nvme


>> Are you saying that if one would like to use ADRFAM == AF_IB, he must have
>> RDMA/CM stack that support IB addressing ?
> 
> Yes.

Correct, its referenced in the transport binding.

>> seems little bit weird requirement...
> 
> NVMeoF/RDMA is specified to use RDMA/CM for connection management.
> There is no reason we could not also specify it on raw IB, but someone
> would have to do the work and specify a binding for it.

The simplicity is useful actually, so targets/hosts don't need to
support both.

_______________________________________________
linux-nvme mailing list
linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-nvme

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-02-07 12:43 NVMe/IB support Talker Alex
2020-02-08  1:39 ` Sagi Grimberg
2020-02-19 15:20 ` Christoph Hellwig
2020-02-20 14:13   ` Max Gurtovoy
2020-02-20 14:25     ` Christoph Hellwig
2020-02-20 15:16       ` Max Gurtovoy
2020-02-20 15:33         ` Christoph Hellwig
2020-02-20 16:29           ` Sagi Grimberg

Linux-NVME Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/0 linux-nvme/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-nvme linux-nvme/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme \
		linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org
	public-inbox-index linux-nvme

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.infradead.lists.linux-nvme


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git