linux-omap.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Hi David Brownell. I have a question for twl4030 driver.
@ 2009-02-13  3:06 대인기
From: 대인기 @ 2009-02-13  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: linux-omap

I added "struct regulator_init_data xxx_vpll2" to board-xx.c file to use VPLL2.
but couldn't use it because you annotated codes for VPLL2 like below.

in drivers/mfd/twl4030-core.c file.
	/* maybe add LDOs that are omitted on cost-reduced parts */
	if (twl_has_regulator() && !(features & TPS_SUBSET)) {
		/*
		child = add_regulator(TWL4030_REG_VPLL2, pdata->vpll2);
		if (IS_ERR(child))
			return PTR_ERR(child);
		*/

also in drivers/regulator/twl4030-regulator.c file.
static struct twlreg_info twl4030_regs[] = {
	/*
 	TWL_ADJUSTABLE_LDO(VPLL1, 0x2f, 7),
 	TWL_ADJUSTABLE_LDO(VPLL2, 0x33, 8),
	*/

So I could use VPLL2 after I get rid of those annotations.
I wonder why did you annotate for VPLL2.
Does using VPLL2 has some problems?

- InKi -

* Re: Hi David Brownell. I have a question for twl4030 driver.
@ 2009-02-13 20:35 ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2009-02-13 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 대인기; +Cc: linux-omap

On Thursday 12 February 2009, 대인기 wrote:
> I added "struct regulator_init_data xxx_vpll2" to board-xx.c file to use VPLL2.
> but couldn't use it because you annotated codes for VPLL2 like below.

> So I could use VPLL2 after I get rid of those annotations.
> I wonder why did you annotate for VPLL2.
> Does using VPLL2 has some problems?

I didn't have any use case for managing VPLL2 in Linux
software at runtime, except maybe in conjunction with
the power management code.

What's your use case?

Some of the supported operating points require changes
to supplies like VDD1 and VDD2 ... I thought that if
the power management code needed to use the regulator
framework, we'd hear about it later and be able to deal
with those issues at that time.

- Dave

* Re: Hi David Brownell. I have a question for twl4030 driver.
@ 2009-02-14  4:29   ` Kyungmin Park
From: Kyungmin Park @ 2009-02-14  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: 대인기, linux-omap

Hi,

Since he's in vacation, I reply it instead of him.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:35 AM, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2009, 대인기 wrote:
>> I added "struct regulator_init_data xxx_vpll2" to board-xx.c file to use VPLL2.
>> but couldn't use it because you annotated codes for VPLL2 like below.

>> So I could use VPLL2 after I get rid of those annotations.
>> I wonder why did you annotate for VPLL2.
>> Does using VPLL2 has some problems?
>
> I didn't have any use case for managing VPLL2 in Linux
> software at runtime, except maybe in conjunction with
> the power management code.
>
> What's your use case?

It's used for graphics power. Without it. we can only see the limited colors.
Yes there's too much example related with it. so we want to know exact usage.
Now workaround we simply enable it at bootloader.

> Some of the supported operating points require changes
> to supplies like VDD1 and VDD2 ... I thought that if
> the power management code needed to use the regulator
> framework, we'd hear about it later and be able to deal
> with those issues at that time.

As you know It's not easy work to change hardware. :)

Thank you,
Kyungmin Park

* Re: Hi David Brownell. I have a question for twl4030 driver.
@ 2009-03-14  0:51     ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2009-03-14  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyungmin Park; +Cc: 대인기, linux-omap

On Friday 13 February 2009, Kyungmin Park wrote:
> >> So I could use VPLL2 after I get rid of those annotations.
> >> I wonder why did you annotate for VPLL2.
> >> Does using VPLL2 has some problems?
> >
> > I didn't have any use case for managing VPLL2 in Linux
> > software at runtime, except maybe in conjunction with
> > the power management code.
> >
> > What's your use case?
>
> It's used for graphics power. Without it. we can only see the limited colors.
> Yes there's too much example related with it. so we want to know exact usage.
> Now workaround we simply enable it at bootloader.

Right, I seem to have overlooked that.  Even Beagle boards
use VPLL2 to power the digital video (LCD, DVI) output.

So I'm sending a patch to let it be manipulated using the
regulator framework.

- Dave