linux-omap.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* OMAP35xx Boot failure
@ 2010-04-09 15:33 Jerry Johns
From: Jerry Johns @ 2010-04-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Hello all,
            I've got a custom OMAP3503 board with 256Mbytes of LPDDR memory (single die, x32-bit) that i've got working with x-loader and u-
boot. However, when i load the Linux kernel (2.6.32 git), it randomly produces the following errors:

1) Hangs midway through the "Uncompressing Linux ...." stage, and this is arbitrary and random on different attempts
2) If it ever does go through, it sometimes displays "invalid compressed format (err = 2)" or "crc error", "incomplete literal tree" and says "System halted"
3) If i disable caching in the kernel (in arch/arm/boot/compressed.S, line 233 "bl cache_on"), it at least completes the Uncompressing stage fine and proceeds to print "....... done, booting the kernel.", at which point it does not boot (most likely since i disabled the caching)
4) If i reset the board (not power-cycle) after the board hang above, and do a crc32 check on the kernel image in DDR memory (this is
possible since DDR2 memory contents do not get changed after a soft- reset), it matches the CRC32 that i have calculated manually on the
kernel image. This shows that the main kernel image (from which it is uncompressed) is still intact.

I've run my own DDR2 tester using the ROM bootloader, and done address/bus stuck-at testing as well as complete psuedo-random data testing on the full 256MByte memory. They all check out fine. The only difference i have from the BeagleBoard is that i'm using the CUS 0.65mm packaged version of the OMAP3503 as well as a non-POP LPDDR memory with single die (not dual die in the Beagle Board) - hence, i had to modify the DDR MCFG register for 14-bit RAS width and 256MByte CS space to get this to work properly.
I've also verified (using CRC checks) that the page tables are intact and correct before/after the errors happen (full 0x4000 sized page table)

If you guys have any ideas, please do help as i'm at my wits end!

Thank you kindly,
Jerry

* Re: OMAP35xx Boot failure
@ 2010-04-10 17:59 ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2010-04-10 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry Johns; +Cc: linux-omap

Hi,

first of all, please read http://elinux.org/Netiquette

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:33:20AM -0700, Jerry Johns wrote:
> Hello all,     I've got a custom OMAP3503 board with 256Mbytes of
> LPDDR memory (single die, x32-bit) that i've got working with x-loader
> and u- boot. However, when i load the Linux kernel (2.6.32 git), it
> randomly produces the following errors:
>
> 1) Hangs midway through the "Uncompressing Linux ...." stage, and
> this is arbitrary and random on different attempts  2) If it ever does
> go through, it sometimes displays "invalid compressed format (err =
> 2)" or "crc error", "incomplete literal tree" and says "System
> halted"  3) If i disable caching in the kernel (in
> arch/arm/boot/compressed.S, line 233 "bl cache_on"), it at least
> completes the Uncompressing stage fine and proceeds to print ".......
> done, booting the kernel.", at which point it does not boot (most
> likely since i disabled the caching)  4) If i reset the board (not
> power-cycle) after the board hang above, and do a crc32 check on the
> kernel image in DDR memory (this is  possible since DDR2 memory
> contents do not get changed after a soft- reset), it matches the CRC32
> that i have calculated manually on the  kernel image. This shows that
> the main kernel image (from which it is uncompressed) is still
> intact.

could it be memory timings ??

One thing you might wanna do is enable CONFIG_DEBUG_LL and
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK and append "debug earlyprintk" to your CMDLINE this
might give your more information about the problem.

--
balbi