linux-omap.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* I have some questions about DSS.
@ 2009-03-15  7:13 InKi Dae
From: InKi Dae @ 2009-03-15  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav; +Cc: linux-omap

I am trying to draw 720P streamming images decoded on LCD.
I really wonder about that.

In case of OMAP34XX, only video1 and video2 layer support color space
conversion, scaling, rotation.
I think that ways using these features are like below.

1. Application -> video1 or 2 device node -> V4L2 Interface -> DSS
Library -> LCD Panel or Digital output.
2. Application -> fb1 or 2 device node -> omafb driver -> DSS Library
-> LCD Panel or Digital output.

Are all of the 1 and 2 case possible to draw 720P streamming images on
LCD Panel in real-time ?
If the case of 1 is impossible, why impossible, and what is the reason
implementing like case 2 ?

If possible, What is the way better ?
Could you please tell me you know and you think ?

Thank you,
- InKi -

* RE: I have some questions about DSS.
       [not found] <90b950fc0903142358o398d7f6bo159ee539664cb682@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-03-16  3:53 ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2009-03-16  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: InKi Dae; +Cc: linux-omap

Thanks,
Vaibhav Hiremath
I am trying to draw 720P streamming images decoded on LCD.
I really wonder about that.
In case of OMAP34XX, only video1 and video2 layer support color space conversion, scaling, rotation.
I think that ways using these features are like below.

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] Rotation is independent on plane, we are supporting rotation through VRFB.

1. Application -> video1 or 2 device node -> V4L2 Interface -> DSS Library -> LCD Panel or Digital output.
2. Application -> fb1 or 2 device node -> omafb driver -> DSS Library -> LCD Panel or Digital output.

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] Both the methods are working fine, at-least I have tested both.

Are all of the 1 and 2 case possible to draw 720P streamming images on LCD Panel in real-time ?
If the case of 1 is impossible, why impossible, and what is the reason implementing like case 2 ?
If possible, What is the way better ?

[Hiremath, Vaibhav]For streaming kind of application I would suggest you to use V4L2 framework.