Linux-parisc archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
From: John David Anglin <dave.anglin@bell.net>
To: Carlo Pisani <carlojpisani@gmail.com>
Cc: Parisc List <linux-parisc@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux Next Mailing List <linux-next@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: C3600, sata controller
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 19:14:03 -0400
Message-ID: <66bf0e79-16a4-a411-19ba-cd7d5a232976@bell.net> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <CA+QBN9AZHQHTGFVc21UfROHObKxAZz+bwCPeMf-Tpjn2UHmDNg@mail.gmail.com>

On 2019-05-12 5:15 p.m., Carlo Pisani wrote:
>> The c3600 doesn't have any PCI-X slots (only PCI) as far as I can tell from user manuals.
> PCI-32/33 device I/O bus
> PCI-64/33 high-performance device I/O bus <----------------- this is
> PCI-X, 64bit 5V
> PCI-64/66 high-performance graphics I/O bus <----------------- this is
> PCI-X, 64bit 3.3V
>
> https://www.openpa.net/systems/hp-visualize_b1000_c3000_c3600.html
I think that you are wrong.  HP would have said the slots were PCI-X compatible if they were.
They did in c8000.

The issue is probably the signalling voltage and clock rate capability.  33 MHz always uses 5V
signalling whereas PCX-X cards typically support 66 and 133 MHz.  Thus, I think PCI-X cards use
CMOS 3.3V signalling although they may accept 5V on their inputs.  If the c3600 uses older
TTL logic, it is likely that 3.3V CMOS logic can't provide the high level for 5V TTL logic.

I suspect the only slot that might work with a PCI-X card is the 3.3V SL2.  However, if you see I/O errors
in the PIM dump following a HPMC, then it's not compatible.

So, probably you would have better luck with the PCI Syba SD-SATA150R in c3600.  However, it is similar
to the Adaptec 1210SA which works.  Maybe they differ in RAID capability.

Dave

-- 
John David Anglin  dave.anglin@bell.net


  reply index

Thread overview: 24+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2019-05-01 21:45 linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the parisc-hd tree Stephen Rothwell
2019-05-02  5:48 ` Helge Deller
2019-05-12 20:44   ` C3600, sata controller Carlo Pisani
2019-05-12 20:49     ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-12 21:10     ` John David Anglin
2019-05-12 21:15       ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-13 23:14         ` John David Anglin [this message]
2019-05-13 23:24           ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-13 23:47             ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-14  1:50               ` John David Anglin
2019-05-14  8:22                 ` Carlo Pisani
     [not found]                 ` <CA+QBN9CgMRFmv+isvH-Y=FCCFwKhmD5_5s5u32xg+wk-gTLK5A@mail.gmail.com>
2019-05-14 12:10                   ` John David Anglin
2019-05-14 12:29                     ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-14 12:57                       ` C3600, optical Fibre Channel, any card? Carlo Pisani
2019-05-14 13:01                       ` C3600, sata controller Sven Schnelle
2019-05-14 14:23                         ` John David Anglin
2019-05-17 15:43                           ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-17 17:21                             ` Helge Deller
2019-05-17 18:05                               ` John David Anglin
2019-05-17 18:25                                 ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-13 15:10     ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-13 21:58       ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-17 17:31     ` Carlo Pisani
2019-05-25  8:59     ` Carlo Pisani

Reply instructions:

You may reply publically to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=66bf0e79-16a4-a411-19ba-cd7d5a232976@bell.net \
    --to=dave.anglin@bell.net \
    --cc=carlojpisani@gmail.com \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-next@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-parisc@vger.kernel.org \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

Linux-parisc archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-parisc/0 linux-parisc/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-parisc linux-parisc/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-parisc \
		linux-parisc@vger.kernel.org linux-parisc@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-parisc


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-parisc


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox