linux-parisc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-05-09
       [not found] ` <FseoXokiJzdprrRNbtaWjm5KHvHa5mlMA2PqnBgbvx8PwHGKzYObU38sBMOuJFy9fuNDYJ0Iaf_so-ju5rMz8lvTtgEcMcOjRogVc0mI6FA=@wintercode.de>
@ 2019-05-27 13:56   ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2019-05-27 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, debian-hppa; +Cc: linux-parisc

Hi Adrian,

I just sucessfully installed a hppa B180L workstation.

Installation happened via serial console, since it seems the kernel has
a bug which hangs the machine when started via graphic console (STIcon and stifb).
I dropped the 2019-05-09 NETINST ISO image via "dd" to a second hard disc and
installed from there, which worked.

Good work!

Helge

On 12.05.19 14:42, LX wrote:
> 2019-05-09 works now well on my hppa C8000 [on boot, usage of IPL must be NO, else the installer crashes on hardware detection]
> IPL no: installation successful, system boots (with and without IPL)

..

@ 2019-05-29  3:22     ` John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz @ 2019-05-29  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller, debian-hppa; +Cc: linux-parisc

Hi!

On 5/27/19 3:56 PM, Helge Deller wrote:
> I just sucessfully installed a hppa B180L workstation.
>
> Installation happened via serial console, since it seems the kernel has
> a bug which hangs the machine when started via graphic console (STIcon and stifb).
> I dropped the 2019-05-09 NETINST ISO image via "dd" to a second hard disc and
> installed from there, which worked.
Good to know it works! I will create a new howto at some point which explains how
to create installation images so that anyone can do that on their own when they
want to test fixes for d-i or debian-cd.

I still haven't figured out yet how to include the missing firmware in debian-cd,
setting FORCE_FIRMWARE in debian-cd isn't enough as the Debian Ports mirror doesn't
include anything from the non-free section.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz