linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* PME and dependency on ACPI
@ 2013-01-31 14:23 Andrew Murray
From: Andrew Murray @ 2013-01-31 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci; +Cc: bhelgaas, thierry.reding, thomas.petazzoni, rjw, jbarnes

I think that PME may place an unnecessary dependency on ACPI...

in drivers/pci/pcie/Kconfig:

config PCIE_PME
	def_bool y
	depends on PCIEPORTBUS && PM_RUNTIME && ACPI

and drivers/pci/pcie/pme.c:

#include <linux/acpi.h>
#include <linux/pci-acpi.h>

On an ARM platform I can remove the #include's and remove the Kconfig
dependency on ACPI and PME springs into life.

Is there any other reason why ACPI may be needed here?

Andrew Murray

* Re: PME and dependency on ACPI
@ 2013-01-31 20:59 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2013-01-31 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Murray
  Cc: linux-pci, bhelgaas, thierry.reding, thomas.petazzoni, jbarnes

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 02:23:03 PM Andrew Murray wrote:
> I think that PME may place an unnecessary dependency on ACPI...
>
> in drivers/pci/pcie/Kconfig:
>
> config PCIE_PME
> 	def_bool y
> 	depends on PCIEPORTBUS && PM_RUNTIME && ACPI
>

> and drivers/pci/pcie/pme.c:
>
> #include <linux/acpi.h>
> #include <linux/pci-acpi.h>
>
> On an ARM platform I can remove the #include's and remove the Kconfig
> dependency on ACPI and PME springs into life.
>
> Is there any other reason why ACPI may be needed here?

On x86 (PC) we need ACPI to determine whether or not we're allowed to use the
PME interrupt.  In turn, without that iterrupt PME is rather useless.

That said I don't think we need to make the PME *code* depend on ACPI, so it
should be OK to remove the dependency from Kconfig.

Thanks,
Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.