linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: runtime pm without pci or platform subsystem involvement
       [not found] <CADnq5_NUueBoEXcO_HBHqwrONnmoAvepBLwwxtQW7R=SuyoFfQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-04-23 19:52 ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2020-04-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux PM, Linux PCI, Bjorn Helgaas, Rafael J. Wysocki

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:54 AM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I would like to be able to use the runtime pm infrastructure to
> support additional power savings at runtime for a PCIe device, but for
> various reasons, I need to keep the device in D0.  I don't want the
> PCI or platform subsystem to put the device into D3hot/cold.  Is this
> possible?  If so how?  I'd like to avoid spinning my own variant of
> runtime pm just to support this feature.

Expanding the audience a bit.  Is what I want to do possible?  Just
want to make sure I don't re-invent something that already exists.

Thanks,

Alex

@ 2020-04-23 20:14   ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2020-04-23 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Linux PM, Linux PCI, Rafael J. Wysocki

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 03:52:17PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:54 AM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >   I would like to be able to use the runtime pm infrastructure to
> > support additional power savings at runtime for a PCIe device, but for
> > various reasons, I need to keep the device in D0.  I don't want the
> > PCI or platform subsystem to put the device into D3hot/cold.  Is this
> > possible?  If so how?  I'd like to avoid spinning my own variant of
> > runtime pm just to support this feature.

If you clear pdev->pm_cap as in 434fdb51513b ("drm/nouveau: workaround
runpm fail by disabling PCI power management on certain intel
bridges"), we'll assume the device doesn't support any PCI power
management, which means the PCI core should leave the device in D0.

D3cold is handled by ACPI or other platform means.  I don't know how
to disable that part.

Bjorn