linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* RE: Linux PCIe EP NTB function
       [not found] <AS8PR04MB850055DFB524C99D64560B6188B89@AS8PR04MB8500.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2021-10-14 20:40 ` Frank Li
From: Frank Li @ 2021-10-14 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kishon, kw, Sherry Sun, Richard Zhu; +Cc: linux-pci

Sorry, correct Linux-pci mail list address.

@ 2021-10-18  4:17   ` Kishon Vijay Abraham I
From: Kishon Vijay Abraham I @ 2021-10-18  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Li, kw, Sherry Sun, Richard Zhu; +Cc: linux-pci

Hi Frank,

On 15/10/21 2:10 am, Frank Li wrote:
> Sorry, correct Linux-pci mail list address.

NTB by definition is PCIe RC-to-RC communication. For RC-to-EP, see
pci_endpoint_test.c (RC) and pci-epf-test.c (EP) that provides sample endpoint
usecase.

One more RC<->EP communication model was built in [1], but that is not yet
upstreamed.

[1] -> https://lore.kernel.org/r/20200702082143.25259-1-kishon@ti.com

Thanks,
Kishon

>> 	I think we can modify pci-epf-ntb to register a ntb devices. But I am
>> not sure that this is recommunicate method.  I think this user case is
>> quite common. I don't want to implement a local solution.
>>
>> 	Any suggestion?
>>

>> Best regards
>> Frank Li

* RE: [EXT] Re: Linux PCIe EP NTB function
@ 2021-10-18 17:10     ` Frank Li
From: Frank Li @ 2021-10-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kishon Vijay Abraham I, kw, Sherry Sun, Richard Zhu; +Cc: linux-pci

Thank you very much. We already can run pci_endpoint_test, which
is too basic and just proof data can transfer between RC and EP.

We want to hook into standard interface such as net. I also find below patches by
Google. The patch set was sent out last years. What's reason why not continues such
Work. I just saw NTB solution is acceptable by community.

Previously we were working on VOP solution, kernel dropped VOP just when we prepare upstream
our work. We don't want to these happen again. So I want to check RC-EP communication direction.

So we can work at the same directions.

Best regards
Frank Li

@ 2021-10-21  9:59       ` Kishon Vijay Abraham I
From: Kishon Vijay Abraham I @ 2021-10-21  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Li, kw, Sherry Sun, Richard Zhu; +Cc: linux-pci

Hi Frank,

On 18/10/21 10:40 pm, Frank Li wrote:

> [...]

I didn't have the bandwidth to pursue it. So the expectation was to update the
Virtio Spec to standardize PCIe RC to Configurable PCIe EP and then continue on
the patch series.

NTB provides a PCIe host side interface which cannot be used for PCIe endpoint.

Thanks,
Kishon