linux-perf-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Versioning of perf python bindings
@ 2021-04-28  7:55 Moessbauer, Felix
From: Moessbauer, Felix @ 2021-04-28  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hi,

I'm working on packaging the perf python bindings as a versioned package (e.g. perf_5_10).
Having the version number in the package name is important for distros that support co-installation of multiple kernels (like Debian).
By that, multiple versions of the userland tools are installed at the same time and a wrapper is used to dispatch to the correct module.

However, as the package name has to match the PyInit_<package> function names,
for versioning we have to patch the tools/perf/util/python.c file.
This has to be done for each new kernel version. An example for this patch is found here:

Now to the question: Is there any versioning support built-in into perf that can be used to simplify this use-case?
I saw that there is already an auto-generated include header that provides version information for perf.
Could we use / extend that and replace the python-init function names with macros to inject the version?
Together with a define, we could implement that in a way that is backwards compatible.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Felix Mößbauer

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-04-28  7:55 UTC | newest]