linux-perf-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Google Summer-of-Code 2023
@ 2023-01-09 15:28 Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-01-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Namhyung Kim

Hi,

The Linux Foundation will apply to be a mentor organization for the
Google Summer-of-Code again this year. That application process starts
on January 23rd. For the perf tool applying as part of the Linux
Foundation, we have a good record of getting the contributors we ask
for as part of the program. Contributors are very welcome! For the
program we need mentors and project ideas. For mentoring the workload
is to review changes, to attend the office hours with the contributor
and to fill-in the 2 evaluations. For the project suggestions,
anything goes. I've included links to last year's suggestions at the
bottom. If you have ideas for projects then please reply to this
email!

Last year there was confusion over whether people working in industry
could be part of the program. Our answer was yes in terms of support,
but they wouldn't qualify for the GSoC funding. I'll try to make this
clear on our wiki, if it isn't already on the Linux Foundation's.

We'd like to continue having the requirements that applications have:
1) what the project will be,
2) a weekly time plan.
To make the program run more smoothly this year, we're also going to
add a requirement that the contributor has sent a patch to the mailing
list. The patch doesn't need to do very much, say a documentation
improvement, but I'd like to be strict and say that any application
not meeting this bar be rejected. Thoughts about this, improvement
ideas, and thoughts on what are good requirements are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2022
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2022-gsoc-perf

* Re: Google Summer-of-Code 2023
@ 2023-01-09 15:45 ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2023-01-09 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Em Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 07:28:26AM -0800, Ian Rogers escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> The Linux Foundation will apply to be a mentor organization for the
> Google Summer-of-Code again this year. That application process starts
> on January 23rd. For the perf tool applying as part of the Linux
> Foundation, we have a good record of getting the contributors we ask
> for as part of the program. Contributors are very welcome! For the
> program we need mentors and project ideas. For mentoring the workload
> is to review changes, to attend the office hours with the contributor
> and to fill-in the 2 evaluations. For the project suggestions,
> anything goes. I've included links to last year's suggestions at the
> bottom. If you have ideas for projects then please reply to this
> email!
>
> Last year there was confusion over whether people working in industry
> could be part of the program. Our answer was yes in terms of support,
> but they wouldn't qualify for the GSoC funding. I'll try to make this
> clear on our wiki, if it isn't already on the Linux Foundation's.
>
> We'd like to continue having the requirements that applications have:
> 1) what the project will be,
> 2) a weekly time plan.
> To make the program run more smoothly this year, we're also going to
> add a requirement that the contributor has sent a patch to the mailing
> list. The patch doesn't need to do very much, say a documentation
> improvement, but I'd like to be strict and say that any application
> not meeting this bar be rejected. Thoughts about this, improvement
> ideas, and thoughts on what are good requirements are appreciated.

A project like perf, being out there for quite a while, accumulates tech
debt, such being a fact of life for any project.

This being so common, I'd encourage people to try and propose to fix
things not of their liking when trying to build, cross-build, use these
tools.

Being able to at least voice what you dislike, and possibly get some
money out of trying to fix it, out in the open, what an opportunity!

Go and try to fix things!

Thanks Ian for year after year to go and take the SOC opportunity to
improve perf.

- Arnaldo

@ 2023-01-25  1:01   ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-01-25  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 7:45 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org> wrote:

> Em Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 07:28:26AM -0800, Ian Rogers escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Linux Foundation will apply to be a mentor organization for the
> > Google Summer-of-Code again this year. That application process starts
> > on January 23rd. For the perf tool applying as part of the Linux
> > Foundation, we have a good record of getting the contributors we ask
> > for as part of the program. Contributors are very welcome! For the
> > program we need mentors and project ideas. For mentoring the workload
> > is to review changes, to attend the office hours with the contributor
> > and to fill-in the 2 evaluations. For the project suggestions,
> > anything goes. I've included links to last year's suggestions at the
> > bottom. If you have ideas for projects then please reply to this
> > email!
> >
> > Last year there was confusion over whether people working in industry
> > could be part of the program. Our answer was yes in terms of support,
> > but they wouldn't qualify for the GSoC funding. I'll try to make this
> > clear on our wiki, if it isn't already on the Linux Foundation's.
> >
> > We'd like to continue having the requirements that applications have:
> > 1) what the project will be,
> > 2) a weekly time plan.
> > To make the program run more smoothly this year, we're also going to
> > add a requirement that the contributor has sent a patch to the mailing
> > list. The patch doesn't need to do very much, say a documentation
> > improvement, but I'd like to be strict and say that any application
> > not meeting this bar be rejected. Thoughts about this, improvement
> > ideas, and thoughts on what are good requirements are appreciated.
>
> A project like perf, being out there for quite a while, accumulates tech
> debt, such being a fact of life for any project.
>
> This being so common, I'd encourage people to try and propose to fix
> things not of their liking when trying to build, cross-build, use these
> tools.
>
> Being able to at least voice what you dislike, and possibly get some
> money out of trying to fix it, out in the open, what an opportunity!
>
> Go and try to fix things!
>
> Thanks Ian for year after year to go and take the SOC opportunity to
> improve perf.
>
> - Arnaldo

The GSoC 2023 wiki for perf is now available:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2023-gsoc-perf

GSoC 2023 is trying to further broaden who can participate, and
"newcomers" are eligible. I asked for some clarity on what qualifies
as a newcomer and got the following reply:

"Newcomer" means newcomer in free software coding not newcomer in IT
in general, so people who have only worked in closed-source before or
people who were only managing in open-source but not coding are
eligible.

Thanks,
Ian

@ 2023-02-23  3:58     ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-02-23  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

The Linux Foundation was selected as a GSoC organization for 2023!
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023/organizations/the-linux-foundation

This means we're looking for contributors until March 19th:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

Some project ideas are listed here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2023-gsoc-perf

Please help to share!

Thanks,
Ian

(Resend in plain text because of LKML's HTML filters)

* Re: Google Summer-of-Code 2023
@ 2023-03-13 16:38       ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-03-13 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Namhyung Kim, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, paranlee, Madhu patel,
	Anup Sharma, Lukas Molleman

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 7:58 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> The Linux Foundation was selected as a GSoC organization for 2023!
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023/organizations/the-linux-foundation
>
> This means we're looking for contributors until March 19th:
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

A reminder of the GSoC timeline. Applications open in a week;

* February 22 - March 19
Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring
organizations

* March 20 - 18:00 UTC
GSoC contributor application period begins

* April 4 - 18:00 UTC
GSoC contributor application deadline

Thanks,
Ian

@ 2023-03-27 21:22         ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-03-27 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Namhyung Kim, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, paranlee, Madhu patel,
	Anup Sharma, Lukas Molleman

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 9:38 AM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 7:58 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > The Linux Foundation was selected as a GSoC organization for 2023!
> > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023/organizations/the-linux-foundation
> >
> > This means we're looking for contributors until March 19th:
> > https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
>
> A reminder of the GSoC timeline. Applications open in a week;
>
> * February 22 - March 19
> Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring
> organizations
>
> * March 20 - 18:00 UTC
> GSoC contributor application period begins
>
> * April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> GSoC contributor application deadline
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

A reminder that the application period closes in just over a week:

@ 2023-03-27 22:00           ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-03-27 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Namhyung Kim, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, paranlee, Madhu patel,
	Anup Sharma, Lukas Molleman, n2 h9

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 9:38 AM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 7:58 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The Linux Foundation was selected as a GSoC organization for 2023!
> > > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023/organizations/the-linux-foundation
> > >
> > > This means we're looking for contributors until March 19th:
> > > https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
> >
> > A reminder of the GSoC timeline. Applications open in a week;
> >
> > * February 22 - March 19
> > Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring
> > organizations
> >
> > * March 20 - 18:00 UTC
> > GSoC contributor application period begins
> >
> > * April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> > GSoC contributor application deadline
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian
>
> A reminder that the application period closes in just over a week:
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
> April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> GSoC contributor application deadline
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

If you are looking for ideas on how to write a good proposal, PSF has
a collection of previously accepted proposals:
https://blogs.python-gsoc.org/en/

You can also see the final report of Riccardo Mancini:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/3c4f8dd64d07373d876990ceb16e469b4029363f.camel@gmail.com/

Thanks,
Ian

@ 2023-03-28  2:00             ` Namhyung Kim
From: Namhyung Kim @ 2023-03-28  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Rogers
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, paranlee, Madhu patel, Anup Sharma,
	Lukas Molleman, n2 h9

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 3:01 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> > > A reminder of the GSoC timeline. Applications open in a week;
> > >
> > > * February 22 - March 19
> > > Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring
> > > organizations
> > >
> > > * March 20 - 18:00 UTC
> > > GSoC contributor application period begins
> > >
> > > * April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> > > GSoC contributor application deadline
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ian
> >
> > A reminder that the application period closes in just over a week:
> > https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
> > April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> > GSoC contributor application deadline
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian
>
> If you are looking for ideas on how to write a good proposal, PSF has
> a collection of previously accepted proposals:
> https://blogs.python-gsoc.org/en/
>
> You can also see the final report of Riccardo Mancini:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/3c4f8dd64d07373d876990ceb16e469b4029363f.camel@gmail.com/

I have a proposal about the build without libtraceevent.
Now it disables many perf commands if it doesn't have the
library.  But part of sub-commands would work without it.

For example, perf lock contention has two different modes
one is to use tracepoints (using the libtraceevent) and
the other is just use BPF.  The latter should work require
anything from the libtraceevent so we can enable such
usecase.

Others like perf sched, kmem and so on might want to run
only record part like in a small embedded machine (without
libtraceevent).  Then we can copy the saved data to a host
and run the report or other sub-commands to analyze the
data (again, using libtraceevent).

Thanks,
Namhyung

* Re: Google Summer-of-Code 2023
@ 2023-03-28  2:03               ` Namhyung Kim
From: Namhyung Kim @ 2023-03-28  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Rogers

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 7:00 PM Namhyung Kim <namhyung@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 3:01 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> > > A reminder that the application period closes in just over a week:
> > > https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
> > > April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> > > GSoC contributor application deadline
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ian
> >
> > If you are looking for ideas on how to write a good proposal, PSF has
> > a collection of previously accepted proposals:
> > https://blogs.python-gsoc.org/en/
> >
> > You can also see the final report of Riccardo Mancini:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/3c4f8dd64d07373d876990ceb16e469b4029363f.camel@gmail.com/
>
> I have a proposal about the build without libtraceevent.
> Now it disables many perf commands if it doesn't have the
> library.  But part of sub-commands would work without it.
>
> For example, perf lock contention has two different modes
> one is to use tracepoints (using the libtraceevent) and
> the other is just use BPF.  The latter should work require
> anything from the libtraceevent so we can enable such
> usecase.
>
> Others like perf sched, kmem and so on might want to run
> only record part like in a small embedded machine (without
> libtraceevent).  Then we can copy the saved data to a host
> and run the report or other sub-commands to analyze the
> data (again, using libtraceevent).

Please let me know, if anyone is interested. :)

Thanks,
Namhyung

* Re: Google Summer-of-Code 2023
@ 2023-04-03 15:56             ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-04-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Namhyung Kim, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, paranlee, Madhu patel,
	Anup Sharma, Lukas Molleman, n2 h9, can.kucukaslan

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 3:00 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Ian Rogers <irogers@google.com> wrote:

> > > A reminder of the GSoC timeline. Applications open in a week;
> > >
> > > * February 22 - March 19
> > > Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring
> > > organizations
> > >
> > > * March 20 - 18:00 UTC
> > > GSoC contributor application period begins
> > >
> > > * April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> > > GSoC contributor application deadline
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ian
> >
> > A reminder that the application period closes in just over a week:
> > https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
> > April 4 - 18:00 UTC
> > GSoC contributor application deadline
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian
>
> If you are looking for ideas on how to write a good proposal, PSF has
> a collection of previously accepted proposals:
> https://blogs.python-gsoc.org/en/
>
> You can also see the final report of Riccardo Mancini:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/3c4f8dd64d07373d876990ceb16e469b4029363f.camel@gmail.com/
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

A reminder that the GSoC application deadline is tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ian