linux-pm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* cpufreq - powernv driver
@ 2022-06-27 13:24 Anna-Maria Behnsen
From: Anna-Maria Behnsen @ 2022-06-27 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm; +Cc: rafael, Thomas Gleixner, Viresh Kumar, Michael Ellerman

Hi,

during my work on a timer hierarchy I stumbled over powernv cpufreq driver
which is using a timer which is deferrable and pinned. This is the only
timer in kernel which uses this combination and I would like to get rid of
it.

Only removing the pinned or deferrable flag could not be the proper
solution, right?

I'm not familiar with cpufreq. I was wondering if it's possible to rework
the powernv cpufreq driver to use cpufreq infrastructure instead handling
it's own timer for ramping down? I would be happy if someone could help me
with some pointers how this could be solved.

Thanks,

      Anna-Maria

* Re: cpufreq - powernv driver
@ 2022-09-26 13:20 ` Anna-Maria Behnsen
From: Anna-Maria Behnsen @ 2022-09-26 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm; +Cc: rafael, Thomas Gleixner, Viresh Kumar, Michael Ellerman

ping?

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022, Anna-Maria Behnsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> during my work on a timer hierarchy I stumbled over powernv cpufreq driver
> which is using a timer which is deferrable and pinned. This is the only
> timer in kernel which uses this combination and I would like to get rid of
> it.
>
> Only removing the pinned or deferrable flag could not be the proper
> solution, right?
>
> I'm not familiar with cpufreq. I was wondering if it's possible to rework
> the powernv cpufreq driver to use cpufreq infrastructure instead handling
> it's own timer for ramping down? I would be happy if someone could help me
> with some pointers how this could be solved.
>
> Thanks,
>
>       Anna-Maria

* Re: cpufreq - powernv driver
@ 2022-09-26 13:40   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2022-09-26 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anna-Maria Behnsen
  Cc: Linux PM, Rafael J. Wysocki, Thomas Gleixner, Viresh Kumar,
	Michael Ellerman

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 3:20 PM Anna-Maria Behnsen
<anna-maria@linutronix.de> wrote:

> ping?

Sorry, this fell off my radar.

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2022, Anna-Maria Behnsen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > during my work on a timer hierarchy I stumbled over powernv cpufreq driver
> > which is using a timer which is deferrable and pinned. This is the only
> > timer in kernel which uses this combination and I would like to get rid of
> > it.
> >
> > Only removing the pinned or deferrable flag could not be the proper
> > solution, right?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with cpufreq. I was wondering if it's possible to rework
> > the powernv cpufreq driver to use cpufreq infrastructure instead handling
> > it's own timer for ramping down? I would be happy if someone could help me
> > with some pointers how this could be solved.

cpufreq drivers need not use timers at all in general.

What they need to do is to register a callback via
cpufreq_add_update_util_hook(), like intel_pstate or the schedutil
governor.

I'll look at the powernv driver later this week.