linux-pm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* do not suspend/sleep
@ 2021-02-01 23:47 Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2021-02-01 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-input, Linux PM list

Hi all.

I usually run my systems (laptops) so that they will suspend to RAM
after 30 or 60 minutes of no use (no input), but when I am building
e.g. 3 kernels, that will take more than 30 minutes and I don't want
the system to suspend during that time.

I was wondering what options are available to prevent entering suspend.
I am willing to manually enter a command to make that happen if one
is available.

I was considering a way to generate a fake kbd or mouse input every
M (e.g. 29) minutes.
If that is feasible, what would someone suggest to use here?
(I can script the "wait M minutes" part :) Just need the "how to
inject a keystroke or mouse input" part.)

My first idea was some way to prevent suspend/sleep if the system load
level is > N (e.g. 4 -- user input), but I don't know where to do that.

thanks for any suggestions.

--
~Randy

* Re: do not suspend/sleep
@ 2021-02-02  1:51 ` Barnabás Pőcze
From: Barnabás Pőcze @ 2021-02-02  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-input, Linux PM list

Hi

2021. február 2., kedd 0:47 keltezéssel, Randy Dunlap írta:

> Hi all.
>
> I usually run my systems (laptops) so that they will suspend to RAM
> after 30 or 60 minutes of no use (no input), but when I am building
> e.g. 3 kernels, that will take more than 30 minutes and I don't want
> the system to suspend during that time.
>
> I was wondering what options are available to prevent entering suspend.
> I am willing to manually enter a command to make that happen if one
> is available.
> [...]

Have you looked at systemd-inhibit(1)?

Regards,
Barnabás Pőcze

* Re: do not suspend/sleep
@ 2021-02-02  1:53   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2021-02-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barnabás Pőcze; +Cc: linux-input, Linux PM list

On 2/1/21 5:51 PM, Barnabás Pőcze wrote:
> Hi
>

> 2021. február 2., kedd 0:47 keltezéssel, Randy Dunlap írta:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I usually run my systems (laptops) so that they will suspend to RAM
>> after 30 or 60 minutes of no use (no input), but when I am building
>> e.g. 3 kernels, that will take more than 30 minutes and I don't want
>> the system to suspend during that time.
>>
>> I was wondering what options are available to prevent entering suspend.
>> I am willing to manually enter a command to make that happen if one
>> is available.
>> [...]
>
> Have you looked at systemd-inhibit(1)?

No, I'm wasn't aware of that, but I'll take a look.

Thanks.

--
~Randy